Honest opinion about square silk scarves?

:yes: HUGE Steeple wallet used as clutch (I think it picks out the colours and lines of H's GT scarf

BACK TO SCARVES and their original intentions

Getting to be very fashionable again, the headscarf, these are all H (and mine)

90 (New Orleans)

maya1_zps68645615.jpg

45 (Amis pour la Vie)

maya5_zps797aaf67.jpg

70 (Clic Clac) + Mors scarf ring

CCaP.jpg

Over a cap + Romance croc belt (for a 90 just tie back on itself)

maya6_zpsec7b07bc.jpg

Under a cap on the 2007 H catwalk (not my photo obviously but same hat as above, and I have tried this with a 90 silk)

846ec2bf4a_zpsefa2024c.jpg

I love the way you wear them this being my favourite: 70 (Clic Clac) + Mors scarf ring .i did not buy any Hermes scarves in the end. as I already like to wear vintage pearls and I have a Kelly, I thought my 'look' needs something a little more edgy to lift it out of nostalgia land. So it's Athena Procopiou for me...may be next season though.

I love the way you wear them this being my favourite: 70 (Clic Clac) + Mors scarf ring .i did not buy any Hermes scarves in the end. as I already like to wear vintage pearls and I have a Kelly, I thought my 'look' needs something a little more edgy to lift it out of nostalgia land. So it's Athena Procopiou for me...may be next season though.

There def can be overload, not everyone wants to look like Dita Von T, on my feet I'm probably wearing DMs or something totally unladylike.

Love Clic Clac though. Who would have thought i enjoyed whips so much :blush:

Great thread! I absolutely love silk scarves and I wear them often. My favorites are from Hermes, but I also love my Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, and Pucci scarves. I also have several from Talbots, which are surprisingly well-made -- the colors and patterns are beautiful, plus they are made of high-quality silk and have rolled hems. I buy them at the Talbots clearance store for under $10 each. I get more compliments on my Talbots scarves than on my more expensive ones!

Great thread! I absolutely love silk scarves and I wear them often. My favorites are from Hermes, but I also love my Valentino, Oscar de la Renta, and Pucci scarves. I also have several from Talbots, which are surprisingly well-made -- the colors and patterns are beautiful, plus they are made of high-quality silk and have rolled hems. I buy them at the Talbots clearance store for under $10 each. I get more compliments on my Talbots scarves than on my more expensive ones!

LOL... good for you & enjoy..

Its a smart woman that knows how to do alot with a little:smile:

Could you post modelling shots? Of you wearing them or comparison photos would be great too....:smile:

Per LadySarah's request, here are some of my Talbots scarves. The silks are first (I tried to get a good photo of a rolled hem), followed by a plissé type scarf (which perfectly matches my Vert Anise Hermes Garden Party). I know this thread is about silk scarves but I thought I would include my silk/cashmere scarves as well. These are so soft! All the scarves are beautiful; it's hard to capture just how lovely they are! Talbots really does a great job on there scarves/stoles - I highly recommend them!ImageUploadedByPurseForum1373944870.043417.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1373944889.493193.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1373944904.876918.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1373944933.593147.jpg
ImageUploadedByPurseForum1373944962.143546.jpg

Hello everyone,

I'm new to purseblog.com and would just like to ask a question. Since I can't start a new thread, may I hijack this one ?...

I'd like to buy a scarf for my friend and I'm wondering exactly what size and type of scarf (cotton, silk, blend...) she's wearing in this photo :

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/bambellz32/Untitled_zps4a53b202.png

I believe this would be about 140x140 cm of a slightly wrinkled cotton/wool/silk blend tissue? I was contemplating buying her a Hermès "Équateur" scarf, since she particularly likes the vivid blue color it has - as well as South America fauna - but I'm concerned she might not really like a 100% silk scarf. I'd appreciate if anyone could either recommend a scarf based on what she wears in this photo or recommend any scarf similar to Hermès'. Here's Hermès' scarf, for reference :

http://media.hermes.com/media/catalog/product/import/S/S01/S012/item/default/431798S02.jpg

Thanks a bunch :smile: !

Edit : Or better, if someone could recommend me a scarf similar to the one she's wearing, that'd be perfect ! :smile:

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I'm new to purseblog.com and would just like to ask a question. Since I can't start a new thread, may I hijack this one ?...

I'd like to buy a scarf for my friend and I'm wondering exactly what size and type of scarf (cotton, silk, blend...) she's wearing in this photo :

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y408/bambellz32/Untitled_zps4a53b202.png

I believe this would be about 140x140 cm of a slightly wrinkled cotton/wool/silk blend tissue? I was contemplating buying her a Hermès "Équateur" scarf, since she particularly likes the vivid blue color it has - as well as South America fauna - but I'm concerned she might not really like a 100% silk scarf. I'd appreciate if anyone could either recommend a scarf based on what she wears in this photo or recommend any scarf similar to Hermès'. Here's Hermès' scarf, for reference :

http://media.hermes.com/media/catalog/product/import/S/S01/S012/item/default/431798S02.jpg

Thanks a bunch :smile: !

Edit : Or better, if someone could recommend me a scarf similar to the one she's wearing, that'd be perfect ! :smile:

Have a look at this thread http://forum.purseblog.com/wardrobe-accessories/what-scarves-are-you-wearing-rite-now-574201-10.html and also check out falliero sarti... That's where all the scarfies hang out. I don't know enough to help you, but personally I find hermes very expensive and not necessarily a 'beginners' scarf....also I would not buy it 2nd hand- much better go directly to hermes and you will get good tips there on wearing it. That's what you pay for.

Hello.

I was wondering what everyone's honest opinion was about silk scarves -- the square 90cm kind like Hermes sells?

I am asking because while I love scarves and I love the IDEA of scarves, I am starting to wonder if they are a bit ....dare i say it...outdated? (all you scarfies, please don't flame me!!)

I have spent several weeks looking at threads on socialites/celebs/fashionistas/etc and other than a few older politicians (whose style I am NOT trying to imitate) I cannot find anyone who wears these types of scarves.

I know there are a lot of photos of women wearing them on tPF -- and their scarves are lovely -- but most of the photos are focused solely on the scarf and it is hard for me to get a look at the entire outfit (face/hair included) to give an honest and objective opinion of the look.

I also read all the time about the supposed-ubiquitous Hermes scarf apparently owned by every Frenchwoman ....but never seem to see all the scarves when I look at street photos of France. Is it just a myth?

I have been wearing scarves since high school (in the mid 80's) and, like I said, love the idea of them (pop of color, makes a plain wardrobe versatile, etc) I am wondering if maybe I am too old (mid 40's) and should save my $ and spend it on other accessories instead, as I don't want to look frumpy and I know there is a very fine line if one of my age is not careful. ;)

I have also realized that was is considered "Classic" may come off differently on a person of say, 20, than it will on a person of 50: twinset sweaters on J Crew look good on a college student, but can be dowdy on a matronly grandmother.

I'd love any thoughts you may have.

Cheers,
Dagny

Such an interesting topic, Dagny! Scarves can certainly make one look chic, edgy, elegant, frumpy, and everything in between! I've loved reading everyone's thoughts. I do love my mine, and have them in all shapes and sizes!

I think the key is trying to maintain some nonchalance when wearing scarves. I try to avoid overly fussy knots, and anything that looks too neat and tidy! Ironically, this can sometimes take a bit of extra effort.

One thing that I think helps is hand washing scarves (if you feel comfortable doing so). The 90cm Hermes twills arrive at boutiques, it seems, with varying amounts of sizing/starch. I prefer my scarves to have a soft, relaxed drape, and they continue to soften with each wash. And the sumptuous Hermes Dip Dyes/Surteints arrive at boutiques with a wonderfully casual drape and appearance. I think they look casually, chic right out of the box!

I also avoid patterns that combine jewel tone colors with gold. They feel dated on me, and too 80s. And black background scarves feel somehow too 'gandmere' on me. Sometimes just trying various combinations and looks, and taking quick photos helps. Looking at a photo helps me to be more objective. If I'm on the fence about a scarf, or a look, I'll do this.

I definitely try to avoid any hints of frump, and most often aim for a casual, fresh look. I do like the knotting cards for reference. Lots of fun looks, not always practical, but they can provide inspiration.

Last edited:
Such an interesting topic, Dagny! Scarves can certainly make one look chic, edgy, elegant, frumpy, and everything in between! I've loved reading everyone's thoughts. I do love my mine, and have them in all shapes and sizes!

I think the key is trying to maintain some nonchalance when wearing scarves. I try to avoid overly fussy knots, and anything that looks too neat and tidy! Ironically, this can sometimes take a bit of extra effort.

One thing that I think helps is hand washing scarves (if you feel comfortable doing so). The 90cm Hermes twills arrive at boutiques, it seems, with varying amounts of sizing/starch. I prefer my scarves to have a soft, relaxed drape, and they continue to soften with each wash. And the sumptuous Hermes Dip Dyes/Surteints arrive at boutiques with a wonderfully casual drape and appearance. I think they look casually, chic right out of the box!

I also avoid patterns that combine jewel tone colors with gold. They feel dated on me, and too 80s. And black background scarves feel somehow too 'gandmere' on me. Sometimes just trying various combinations and looks, and taking quick photos helps. Looking at a photo helps me to be more objective. If I'm on the fence about a scarf, or a look, I'll do this.

I definitely try to avoid any hints of frump, and most often aim for a casual, fresh look. I do like the knotting cards for reference. Lots of fun looks, not always practical, but they can provide inspiration.
These are all excellent tips. Thank you for posting. I also prefer washed slightly worn looking scarves with frayed edges. Would love to see your modelling pictures.
:cool:
Per LadySarah's request, here are some of my Talbots scarves. The silks are first (I tried to get a good photo of a rolled hem), followed by a plissé type scarf (which perfectly matches my Vert Anise Hermes Garden Party). I know this thread is about silk scarves but I thought I would include my silk/cashmere scarves as well. These are so soft! All the scarves are beautiful; it's hard to capture just how lovely they are! Talbots really does a great job on there scarves/stoles - I highly recommend them!View attachment 2258609
View attachment 2258610
View attachment 2258611
View attachment 2258612
View attachment 2258613

Thank you- just saw those. Beautiful items! I particularly like the wool silk mix with the frayed edge...:smile:

These are all excellent tips. Thank you for posting. I also prefer washed slightly worn looking scarves with frayed edges. Would love to see your modelling pictures.
:cool:

Hello ladysarah,

I'd like a number of mine to have more drape. It's one of the the rewards of owning them for a bit, and wearing them! :smile:

Here are some ways I like to wear my Hermes 90cm scarves. In the first photo, I'm wearing two identical 90cm, tied together as a top. I've purchased two of a few favorites to wear this way. But two complimentary scarves look great tied this way, too. The loose ends can be tucked in, making for a cleaner look which I like a bit better.

Attachments

• Hermes - Ecrire7.jpg
    Hermes - Ecrire7.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 835
  • Hermes - Boutons de Venerie7.jpg
    Hermes - Boutons de Venerie7.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 831
  • Hermes - Alphabet 3 - 7.jpg
    Hermes - Alphabet 3 - 7.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 832