Travel Honolulu, Hawaii

If you decide to rent a car...take your self to Lanakai Beach near the town of Kailua. We went there for the first time in December and LOVED it. Quieter and less tourists and GORGEOUS! About a 25 min drive out of Waikiki.

Hi everyone

My family and I are travelling to Honolulu this November and I was wondering if there are any must do's whilst on our trip? We are there for 2 weeks, it will be me, my husband and 18 month old. We are definitely going to hire a car and drive to the north shore and go to the zoo for our daughter.

Coming from Australia, I really want to do some shopping. I know Ala Moana is the place to be. Are there any smaller shops that are worth looking at?

Any restaurants/activities you can recommend?

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much :smile:

attend a luau if u enjoy hawaiian/tahitian dancing and buy a big lei when u go, they only give away a teeny tiny shell type lei. vcayed there for a week, how exciting is 2 wks., enjoy!

Hi everyone

My family and I are travelling to Honolulu this November and I was wondering if there are any must do's whilst on our trip? We are there for 2 weeks, it will be me, my husband and 18 month old. We are definitely going to hire a car and drive to the north shore and go to the zoo for our daughter.

Coming from Australia, I really want to do some shopping. I know Ala Moana is the place to be. Are there any smaller shops that are worth looking at?

Any restaurants/activities you can recommend?

Any help is appreciated, thanks so much :smile:

Here are some of the places I love to eat at on Oahu
Waiola Shave ice:
Boots and Kimos: macadamia pancakes
Yanagi Sushi
Matsumoto Shave Ice
Paalakai Bakery: the snow Puffies are soooooo good!
Liliha Bakery: coco puffs
Samurai Snacks: Maui style sherbet
Romy Shrimp: Garlic Shrimp

My family is traveling to Honolulu this month (July) and I’m looking for suggestions of things to do! Can my Purse Forum family point me in a good direction? I’m interested in activities, day tours, food recommendations, anything will be appreciated. My kids are 21 and 18. Thank you so much!

I love Honolulu! :hbeat: I went there for the first time last year.

Definitely schedule a tour of the Iolani Palace - it's stunning and completely unique in the US.

I would also recommend the Doris Duke Islamic Museum, showcasing the heiress' extensive collection of Islamic art at her home which she named Shangri-La.

The Bishop Museum gives such a panoramic look at Hawaiian history, and the Honolulu Museum of Art has an impressive collection of Japanese art.

Were you already planning on going to Pearl Harbor? There's also hiking at Diamond Head and Manoa Falls...

Let me know if you need more recs! :smile:

Reactions: mary333
I love Honolulu! :hbeat: I went there for the first time last year.

Definitely schedule a tour of the Iolani Palace - it's stunning and completely unique in the US.

I would also recommend the Doris Duke Islamic Museum, showcasing the heiress' extensive collection of Islamic art at her home which she named Shangri-La.

The Bishop Museum gives such a panoramic look at Hawaiian history, and the Honolulu Museum of Art has an impressive collection of Japanese art.

Were you already planning on going to Pearl Harbor? There's also hiking at Diamond Head and Manoa Falls...

Let me know if you need more recs! :smile:
This is wonderful! Thank you for all the recommendations! I didn’t know about the art, I appreciate that.

Do you have any water activities to recommend?

Reactions: Deneuveness
Most visitors stay in Waikiki or Ko Olina. There's more to do in Waikiki, shopping and dining wise. Ko Olina is more quiet with less things to do. People staying in that area will have to drive to Ka Makana Alii, Waikele Outlets, or Pearlrige for the nearest dining and shopping options. Ala Moana is the biggest shopping mall on the island. You can find whatever you want there.

Most visitors like to hike Diamond Head or Makapuu Lighthouse, go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and visit the North Shore. Whenever I'm on the North Shore I like to go to Giovanni's for their garlic shrimp plate and Matsumoto's shaved ice.

Hawaii is a melting pot, so you'll find all kinds of cuisine here: Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Hawaiian, etc. I'm not sure what kinds of food you're into. I highly recommend giving Hawaiian food a try, since you can only get it here. Get a Hawaiian plate that consists of laulau, kalua pork, chicken long rice, lomilomi salmon, poke, and haupia. If you go to Ala Moana Makai Market food court you can find this at the Poi Bowl. Poi Bowl will have everything except the poke. For poke you'll have to walk down to Foodland, still at the mall. They have one of the best pokes around. Other places will be Young's Fishmarket, Yama's, and Highway Inn.

https://www.hawaiiactivities.com/en/hawaii/oahu/ctg/165886:kaneohe_bay_sandbar/

My brother reserved this excursion for my family early May. You hop onto a large boat, they take you to a shallow area of the ocean and you can play there for a few hours. The boat has snacks and live music, too.

North Shore is also a lovely place, too. They have nice beaches and plenty of food trucks and stands with delicious garlic shrimp and acai bowls.

have fun! Be sure to check the weather before you go. Enjoy!

Most visitors stay in Waikiki or Ko Olina. There's more to do in Waikiki, shopping and dining wise. Ko Olina is more quiet with less things to do. People staying in that area will have to drive to Ka Makana Alii, Waikele Outlets, or Pearlrige for the nearest dining and shopping options. Ala Moana is the biggest shopping mall on the island. You can find whatever you want there.

Most visitors like to hike Diamond Head or Makapuu Lighthouse, go snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, and visit the North Shore. Whenever I'm on the North Shore I like to go to Giovanni's for their garlic shrimp plate and Matsumoto's shaved ice.

Hawaii is a melting pot, so you'll find all kinds of cuisine here: Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Hawaiian, etc. I'm not sure what kinds of food you're into. I highly recommend giving Hawaiian food a try, since you can only get it here. Get a Hawaiian plate that consists of laulau, kalua pork, chicken long rice, lomilomi salmon, poke, and haupia. If you go to Ala Moana Makai Market food court you can find this at the Poi Bowl. Poi Bowl will have everything except the poke. For poke you'll have to walk down to Foodland, still at the mall. They have one of the best pokes around. Other places will be Young's Fishmarket, Yama's, and Highway Inn.
This is all super helpful, thank you! My daughters love poke and I’m going to follow your advice and go to Foodland. I appreciate all the food recommendations!

Reactions: brnicutie