Going to San Francisco, Santa Cruz this weekend .....

I posted the info below last week for someone else.

Hope you find it helpful!

I lived in SF for decades. I miss it.

Take a taxi for everything. Driving, parking, and traffic are horrible.

My fav spots:

Shopping
Union Square. Take a taxi. Then ask an SA or someone for walking directions to Bloomies. People in SF are very friendly and helpful to tourists.
Union Street. Take a taxi. Charming.
If Obiko is still in business, go there.

Museums - in order of my preferences
Palace of Legion of Honor
de Young museum in Golden Gate Park
Museum of Modern Art

I like to buy gifts for friends at museum stores. My friends get a unique gift and the museums get the benefit of my purchases.

Japanese Gardens in Golden Gate Park
Have tea in the teahouse. The Japanese Gardens are next to the de Young museum.

Performances
Check with the SF Visitors center to see what is going on.
I love the SF Ballet. They have performances this week and next. The Opera House is beautiful.
www.SFBallet.org

I also love the SF Symphony
Choose concerts when Michael Tilson Thomas is conducting. He is fabulous.
www.SFSymphony.org

Best view
Top of the BofA building in the Financial District
Cocktail lounge on the 50+ floor. View is spectacular if there is NO fog. Drinks are pricey but who cares! Just get one or two.

Restaurants
If Stars restaurant is still around, have dinner there with hubby. It's on Van Ness.
For lunch or dinner, go to the Cliff House for a fabulous view of the Pacific Ocean. It's at the west end of Geary. Take a taxi.
If you want to have lunch with a view, go to Anthony's at Fisherman's Wharf.

High tea
Fabulous afternoon tea complete with exquisite little sandwiches, scones, Devon cream, chocolates, pastries can be had at these hotels:
Ritz Carlton
Palace (Market St)
Food is generous. Enough for lunch or dinner. Inform hubby that full bar is available.

Watch out for pickpockets. Keep your purse tight against your body.

Don't worry about the cross-dressers and gay guys. They are far too vain and concerned about themselves to think about bother you! Just enjoy the colorful scenery!

Bart and Muni are fine during daylight hours. Avoid evening.

Enjoy!

For a sweet treat while shopping: when you're at the Bloomingdales/Nordstrom mall near Union Square, go to the lower Concourse level of the mall to the Food Court. There's a a little stand under the escalator called Beard Papa that specializes in amazing Cream Puffs!