let's talk H wallets....

shoppingsmycard

Shopping's My Cardio
O.G.
Aug 27, 2006
i think i'm in the market :graucho:

so, here are my questions:

1. bearn vs. dogon - which do you prefer and why? is there a "secret option 3" i should consider as well? i'm not dead set on having a larger wallet...

2. how do H wallets wear? esp. the corners...i get really grouchy when the corners don't wear well on wallets. any advice here, perhaps as to leather type or color that would wear better?

3. i've been able to find decent pricing info on the 2nd-hand market, but i'm too embarrassed to call my SA to ask about pricing in the store...can anyone give me a rough idea as to current ranges?? :rolleyes:

4. can you get dogon wallets with a gold closure instead of palladium??

5. i'm having a tiny crisis of conscience about spending for a wallet instead of saving for a kelly......anyone have thoughts one way or another??

lol...sorry for playing 20 questions...but hey, i have a room full of experts here - i'd be crazy not to use them! :angel:

Call me crazy: I don't use wallets, only coin purses (and eventually card holders), and I fold the bills.
Buuuuut I use agendas, and after I've had an H agenda in black box that has aged very very well since it's more than 10 years old and looks amazing, I have decided that I should only swear by black box, for that kind of accessories. Expensive, shows scratches (I must say they kind of blend over time) but extremely resistant, and I think the dark color is a plus that adds some resistance. Plus black box can be refurbished to almost new.
Negative aspect: black box is quite hard to find. I have just bought my dream agenda and it has taken me like 2 1/2 years to find one in that leather. I was so desperate I had put a SO for it.

I am lusting over a Dogon wallet. I love this style because I think the closure is so cute and I love it in a smooshy leather. A bi-color (BJ and something else) would be tdf. :drool:
I think they do start around $1,500. The Bearn is gorgeous too but the Dogon just speaks to me (more like screams BUY MEEEEE!!!!) :roflmfao:

to answer no 4, yes I have seen a dogon with gold hardware - it wa gold togo, with gold h/w, beautiful.

Are you able to get to the Paris sales? There are many leather good including wallets, agendas etc all for less than half price (you don't have to mind the S blindstamp denoting a sale item) The wallets are so expensive at full price, LOL

I have both the Bearn and Dogon. I like the Bearn better for an everyday wallet. It is very streamlined and does not take up too much room in my bag. Even when I have it stuffed to the gills it still has an elegant line. The Dogon I really only use when I travel. It hold my passport, receipts, has a removeable coin purse for small bills and change. For me, the Dogon is too bulky to use everyday but it is a great wallet. It also works great when you go out at night and don't want to take a bag, it can easily hold my small pocket mirror, comb and lipstick along with cash and credit cards/ID.

My Bearn is Epsom and has worn extremely well. I did have to send it in because it popped a stitch but other than that it looks wonderful and I have used it almost everyday for over a year now. My Dogon is Togo which is a great leather. I don't use this one very often so it still looks brand new.

I bought both of mine last year, the Bearn was $1555 and the Dogon was $1360. (I would post pictures but I still cannot find my camera, I hope I didn't accidently give it away.)

thanks everyone...and CB, you're enabling as always!!

allaboutnice, i wish i could get to the paris sales!! talk about a dream come true....maybe someday. how often do they occur??

dianagrace, that's really helpful to have the comparison from someone that owns both - thank you!!

tramaturgo, i've never been a 'big wallet' person either....but these ones just look so elegant to me....but man, do i have a hard time with the pricetag!

can anyone speak to the condition of the corners on their small leather goods??? that's the one that really concerns me...i know the corners are always the 'first to go,' so to speak...

thanks everyone...and CB, you're enabling as always!!

allaboutnice, i wish i could get to the paris sales!! talk about a dream come true....maybe someday. how often do they occur??

dianagrace, that's really helpful to have the comparison from someone that owns both - thank you!!

tramaturgo, i've never been a 'big wallet' person either....but these ones just look so elegant to me....but man, do i have a hard time with the pricetag!

can anyone speak to the condition of the corners on their small leather goods??? that's the one that really concerns me...i know the corners are always the 'first to go,' so to speak...

It's because of the corners and the possibility of refurbishment that I advised a dark color. And that's also one of the reasons why I choose box.

1. bearn vs. dogon - which do you prefer and why? is there a "secret option 3" i should consider as well? i'm not dead set on having a larger wallet...

Love both--if I had to pick one I'd choose the Bearn--smaller and easier to get into Kellys. Of course I am referring to the full-size for each. Compact versions are also available. The regular size Bearn is also available in a tri-fold should you have more cards and there are some that have a bill area with an extra-wide pocket vs. the standard slim pocket if you need the extra space for wads of bills. :yes:

Secret Option 3--Full Azap or Vertical Azap--what I'm currently carrying. Full Azap will house almost everything and has a zip around closure; vertical will just carry a couple cards, but I use the same credit card or two daily so that's fine by me. Bonus cards are kept in a separate credit card case. It's nice not having to lug around a full wallet and I can slip the Vertical Azap in my pocket for quick errand.

There are also new style wallets coming out for the Fall that have the traditional turnlock closure seen on the Kellys/Birkins/HACs, etcs. They will come in Chevre in a full-size style and a compact style. I'm not sure if I like that turnlock on the wallet which juts out.

2. how do H wallets wear? esp. the corners...i get really grouchy when the corners don't wear well on wallets. any advice here, perhaps as to leather type or color that would wear better?

Corners are fine on Bearn, Dogon, and Azap--last one gets the most use and no issues.

3. i've been able to find decent pricing info on the 2nd-hand market, but i'm too embarrassed to call my SA to ask about pricing in the store...can anyone give me a rough idea as to current ranges?? :rolleyes:

Regular bi-fold Bearn pre-price hike was around $1,580

Can't remember for the Dogon

Pre-price hike for pocket Azap was around $1,675 I believe.

4. can you get dogon wallets with a gold closure instead of palladium?? Yes

5. i'm having a tiny crisis of conscience about spending for a wallet instead of saving for a kelly......anyone have thoughts one way or another??

I'd try and wait for the Kelly, but if you're not into waiting (like I am), then go for the wallet. They are beautifully made. I can't go back to other wallets after using them.:smile:

oh you guys are the best!
QM, thanks so much for the PM.

orchids, i'm not sure i've ever seen an azap...must go research! and i know you're right about the kelly....agh.....but instant gratification is a powerful mistress! :roflmfao:

tramaturgo, i'm so glad to hear the corners on yours are still good....that helps a lot. if i'm going to spend this much, i have pretty high expectations! lol...

and allaboutnice, i'm definitely going to have to consider timing my next trip to paris to coincide with the sale....though my poor DH wouldn't know what hit him!! LOL!