Help for peeling nails!

I had horrible peeling and flaking nails. They couldn't hold length at all, we're so bendy, polish chipped immediately on the peels and because the nails bent etc.

I started using Nailtiques 2+ and I can't tell you how much better they are. I have long and strong nails that don't chip or break but are still flexible. Nailtiques is a miracle worker.

Soak in gelatin does wonders to my nails. It really coats the nail bed and immidately the peelies are smoothed out. Then, I use a combo of vitemin E and Jojoba oil (mixed together) and that helps dry nails. Or you can try the weekly olive oil soak.

I also use Nailtique when my nail is really splitting but I use #3. Each of the nailtique treats a different type of nails so read up before you buy. I started with Nailtique 2 and it made my nails WORSE because it is for soft nails. Mine is HARD and brittle which means I really needed 3 to make it more flexible. At least for me, Nailtique is only for "trouble times" if I over use it, it actually makes my nails too soft.

I don't find buffing my nails bed helps recovering nail health but it does give it a better apprearance. However, I find that buffing the free edge of the nails are very helpful sealing the layers together. So now, I almost buff my free edge on daily basis and it help to bring back my both of my chipping big toes and my ring finger on the right hand.

I am tring out the Elmer's glue as peeling off basecoat and it works ok so far. It doesn't really give me lasting manicures but at least, I can give my nails a break from acetone. Also, I give mmy nails at least three days inbetween manicures. But you can use Nailtique treatment during the "break time" and it makes the nails look shiny and nice.

Best luck!

I switched to chanel base coat and a glass nail file, with occasional overnight coconut oil treatments with gloves...my peeling recently stopped.

But I should also mention, 7-8 months ago I started getting a lot more vitamin D. So it's hard to tell if the improvement was from the changes in my nail routine, or from the fact that the last bit of my vitamin-D-deficient nails finally got trimmed off. Maybe a little bit of both.

I switched to chanel base coat and a glass nail file, with occasional overnight coconut oil treatments with gloves...my peeling recently stopped.

But I should also mention, 7-8 months ago I started getting a lot more vitamin D. So it's hard to tell if the improvement was from the changes in my nail routine, or from the fact that the last bit of my vitamin-D-deficient nails finally got trimmed off. Maybe a little bit of both.

I do agree that you cannot really tell improvement in your nail condition until the "problem" protions grow out.

I'm having some peeling, too and just started using Orly's Nailtrition. You're supposed to layer it on daily for 1 weeks, then repeat it again for a second week. I like that it's slightly pink tinged so that as you layer it, your nails are a nice pink. Will see how it goes, but it has lots of of positive reviews on MUA

I have trind TRIND.. they have a nail balsam & nail products...and they do work!!

You need time & patience..

I would not use acetone nor buff..

If you can sleep in cotton gloves with a good cuticle cream your nails
will be better

As a follow up, I bought the (somewhat pricey) Perfect Formula duo set from Sephora. It comes with an oil and and a "Strength Therapy" topcoat that dries clear and a tad shiny.

My nails look and feel way better (still a little peely after I remove polish, but, not like they are going to crumble.) The best part is the topcoat makes removal super easy. This is probably a horrible idea, but, the polish literally peels off - so, less drying than with using non-acetone/acetone remover :smile:

As a follow up, I bought the (somewhat pricey) Perfect Formula duo set from Sephora. It comes with an oil and and a "Strength Therapy" topcoat that dries clear and a tad shiny.

My nails look and feel way better (still a little peely after I remove polish, but, not like they are going to crumble.) The best part is the topcoat makes removal super easy. This is probably a horrible idea, but, the polish literally peels off - so, less drying than with using non-acetone/acetone remover :smile:
I'm not sure it's actually a horrible idea... I do this too, because it just comes off so easily after a few days when I've used quick dry top coats :shame: My nails always look "normal" after doing this, not like any nail surface has been peeled off with it. I've done this for years (barely need any acetone), and my nails are great and strong, never stain and never peel.

I'm not sure it's actually a horrible idea... I do this too, because it just comes off so easily after a few days when I've used quick dry top coats :shame: My nails always look "normal" after doing this, not like any nail surface has been peeled off with it. I've done this for years (barely need any acetone), and my nails are great and strong, never stain and never peel.

Reminds me of this old, Tinkerbell polish I used to love as a little kid. Peel-off polish 4 lyfe! :biggrin:

I have had a bad case of peeling nails for a while now. It has come to the point where I never let my my nails grow long because the peeling disgusts me so much that I just want to trim them down.

I was told peeling nails are a cause of too much moisture and to try to wear gloves when cleaning around the house or doing the dishes. I have done everything I can to reduce moisture under my nails and my nails don't look any better.

I have tried a few treatments but nothing has worked. I did see that OPI does a few treatments but they cost £20 here and I'm weary to spend so much money on something that may not work.

My nail polish looks awful with peeling nails. It also chips more than normal because the nail flakes off and of course nail polish comes with it

Has anyone had peeling nails? How did you fix it and what products did you use? I'm desperate here.

Would wear cotton gloves under your plastic gloves to start off with. That will prevent
the moisture from penetrating onto your nails.

I don't know the nail treatments you have tried, this is not a short term problem
it takes a bit of time to correct peeling nails

Be careful what you files your nails with & that you don't overuse acetone on your nails.

I'd try using a good nail oil & keep your nails & cuticles hydrated.

Nails grow in a cycle.. just be patient.. it will get better

There are also nail blogs that address this issue.. one of them being loodieloodieloodie

I have used TRIND products which address specific nail issues.. you may want
to look into their products as well

Last edited:
^^^ Agree with above poster. Some people find filing with a glass file helps with peeling. If you are going to use regular files, make sure to file in one direction (don't see-saw back and forth). Sealing the nail tip with a fine grit nail helps, too (loodieloodieloodie has a video on this - she also explains the different nail treatments and which ones can help with peeling).

I have used Nailtiques Nail Protein Formula 2 (or 2 Plus) with a lot of success. I have really weak, bendy nails that frequently peel. When I apply the Nailtiques daily, I do notice a significant difference. However, like the other posters have mentioned, it is not something that changes overnight. It takes consistent application to really keep up the strength. I do notice when I stop applying it, especially if I am changing my nail polish frequently (hence using lots of acetone), my nails may begin to peel again.

What exactly do you mean by peeling nails? Do you mean the layers in your nails separate and the top layer chips off at the tips?

This happens to me every once in a while, it's mostly because of nail polish removal I think... There's only 1 method I found that makes it stop: buffing off the top layer. Of course it makes the nail even thinner, but when you don't do it, they "seperate" further whenever you clip or file down your nails. Loodie has done a blog post on this (although the peel I see in her pictures is barely visible :lol:): http://loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.nl/2011/06/buff-this-mother-out.html
Good luck!