I did something awful to my dog today

rosieroseanna

Spenderella
O.G.
Dec 9, 2006
I have a Jack Russell called Jackson who is adorable but a little naughty, he stayed with my parents for a long weekend when we went to Paris recently and had a wonderful time as they have a big garden and a cocker Spaniel who he adores. Anyway he has been back with us a week now and I have been with him all the time and he has been on so many walks but he just looks so sad so I arranged to take him to my mums this afternoon to take the dogs for a long walk.

Anyway my car was out of petrol and I needed to get some, I nearly stopped off at a station next to the A1 (a motorway) but instead stopped in a small sleepy town but on a main road. Anyway I only have a two seater so Jackson sits on the passenger side on the floor.

I was at the station and everytime I went to get out of the car he kept leaping across at me which made me mad so I shouted at him, anyway I finally got out and somehow the little bugger managed to get out of the car from the side I was getting out of. He just ran off, it was awful I was terrified he was going to get run over and he didn't come when I called him, I finally caught him and out him back in the car but I was so angry I hit him a few times. He looked so wounded.

I was just so mad because for sure if I had stopped at the other station on the A1 I would have been powerless and watched him get run over because he is stupid enough to run out. I feel so guilty for hitting him.

Do your dogs always come when you call him? Jackson went to training classes etc and comes when I call him unless he doesn't want to, the vet says it is because he is a Jack Russell I am really worried though. Any ideas?:confused1:

I wish I had a magic answer. We've experienced the same thing. The dog will "come" during training, but otherwise gets stubborn or thinks it's a game. It's the single most important command--as you experienced, it can mean life or death. If I figure out a foolproof way to train that into my boxer, I'll share it with you!

and I totally understand the swatting him when you finally got him. You were scared !! It was just an emotional reaction. You didn't permanently hurt him.

I am sorry to hear about your situation...that must have been very frustrating.

However, hitting a dog is NEVER the answer, especially in this situation.

If he is running away from you, and you catch him, and then proceed to hit him, then you are making him think that you=pain, KWIM?

I definitely think that an obedience class would benefit Jackson.

Good luck...dogs sure can be frustrating sometimes! :smile:

BTW--a dog should never ride unrestrained in a vehicle anyway, because if you were to get in an accident, he could be seriously injured/killed.

What about buying one of those little seat belt connectors that attaches to Jackson's harness for car travel? That way, he is safe in the event of an accident and he cannot get out of the car and make a run for it when you open your door. :smile:

Do your dogs always come when you call him? :confused1:

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Yeah, right.

I don't blame you for being angry with him. I had to chase my dog across the street one morning when I was in my PJs, and chased her all over the dog park one afternoon. She is a stubborn pooch. While I don't think smacking the dog is a good thing as a rule, I am pretty sure your dog has already forgotten about it. You should forget about it too.

I have a couple of JRT's and this is definitely an issue with my male. It's mainly their nature that you are trying to overcome. Especially when he gets squirrely, he's very difficult to control. I wish I had a magic answer for you, but they are dogs, you do your best to train them and be consistent. On the good side, at least the breed loves to please their owner, so remember to reward him a lot whenever he comes to you, because then he associates coming to you with treats and other good things.

My dog never comes when I call her. I just make sure she won't have the opportunity to ever run off. I have her ride in a pet kennel in the car, just the plastic kind you buy at the pet store. I put it in the seat and run the seatbelt through the handle and buckle it in. I have a doggie bed inside and now she likes it in there. I tried harnesses on her but she'd always get out of every single one. If you have a two-seater it might be safer to try a hard cage like that in case you get in a wreck and your airbag goes off. Your dog would be more protected.

Although what you did was not right, which I know you know, you did it out of fear of him getting hit by a car, yo must have been so frighten for him, I know I would have been.
Perhaps the answer is not to stop when hes in the car until you get to the park, or get a dog guard fitted in the back of you car, they are not that expensive and save a lot of hassle

Thanks for your ideas guys, I have never seen things that strap them in, I think I will stop by pets at home today and see what I can find, I think he has forgiven me, he seems as happy as larry now!

if ruby ever got out, there's no way i could catch her. she's a fast little bugger.

but if she's in the car with me, i have her leash on her and it's wrapped/looped around the headrest in front of her. kwim? so she's still got room to move around easily, but i know she can't bolt.

if ruby ever got out, there's no way i could catch her. she's a fast little bugger.

but if she's in the car with me, i have her leash on her and it's wrapped/looped around the headrest in front of her. kwim? so she's still got room to move around easily, but i know she can't bolt.

I would not recommend this idea, if you break hard or was, God forbid, in an accident the dog could break its neck with the force. Its better just to have a dog guard up that way the dog is safe behind the dog guard, you can also get padding around it so that if their is an accident the dogs safe.

I would not recommend this idea, if you break hard or was, God forbid, in an accident the dog could break its neck with the force. Its better just to have a dog guard up that way the dog is safe behind the dog guard, you can also get padding around it so that if their is an accident the dogs safe.
that was what my vet suggested i do. :shrugs:

You are not awful and he can't help it he's a Jack Russell.

I have a 15 yr old Jack Russell who is a little hard of hearing in addition to having Jack Russell selective hearing. (Jack Russel selective hearing = they "go deaf" when they are interested in someting.) I have to be very careful for him.

He hated it at first but I got him a harnes that is designed to be attached to the car seat belt. In addition to helping him stay in place when the car stops suddenly it means he can't jump out of the car unless I release him.

I would suggest maybe keeping treats to coax him into coming when you call. I know for my dogs all I have to say is the word "treat" and they follow me anywhere.

Treats work, as HW posted.

I always fasten my pug to the seat belt. I buckle the seat belt in place. Then I hook the pug to the seat belt.

I found a short lead at the pet store with a hook at both ends and a metal loop in the middle. One hook fastens to my pug's harness. The other end loops around the seat belt and fastens on the loop.

Besides preventing her from jumping out of the car, this doggie seatbelt has saved her from slamming into the windshield when I have had to suddenly brake on the freeway. Instead of being thrown into the windshield, being fastened to the seat belt meant that she was only thrown into the foot area of the passenger seat. A few bruises but she was always OK.