St John's collection - where can I find a cheaper alternative?

Oct 14, 2008
Hello!

I'm still on the never ending quest for work clothes, and I need some suits. I don't want the usual boring all-black blazer and pants set.
I think the tweed/boucle material would work well for my workplace - different enough without being too "fashionable".

I really like the St Johns blazers and suits:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/st-john...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/st-john-collection-jacket-skirt/3454241?origin=category

Does anyone know of a more budget friendly alternative that would have the same look?
My budget is probably ~$700 per suit.

THANKS!

There is no cheaper alternative, but I have several SJs that were purchased at that price and below:

1. Consignment stores
2. EBay
3. Shopping the pre-sale at Nordies and having the SAs pull the garments aside until the sale begins (40% off).

Hello!

I'm still on the never ending quest for work clothes, and I need some suits. I don't want the usual boring all-black blazer and pants set.
I think the tweed/boucle material would work well for my workplace - different enough without being too "fashionable".

I really like the St Johns blazers and suits:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/st-john...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/st-john-collection-jacket-skirt/3454241?origin=category

Does anyone know of a more budget friendly alternative that would have the same look?
My budget is probably ~$700 per suit.

THANKS!
Hi brokeshopper,
I'm a huge St. John fan as well. I don't know where you live but you need to make friends with whomever is working at your local St. John Outlet. Once you've bought something from them, they will put you on their email list (or ask them if they don't offer) and you'll score some amazing deals. I have a hook up with the ladies at the Las Vegas location and I purchase a few new pieces each year sight unseen.
Be sure to keep a watch on both the Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus Sale/Clearance pages of their website for end of season sales. I find that NM Last Call only gets the Santana pieces in and I thought I heard that whole line was being discontinued.
If you want to go the eBay route as e_nmn_m suggested, search for "St. John Caviar" and St. John Couture" and "St. John Black Label". With those search words, you will pull up the most current pieces, a good proportion of which will be NWT or barely worn. If you have a good seamstress, then go ahead and buy something more vintage - some of the boucle knits from years past are gorgeous. I find the things that are a bit older are a little more dated looking because of the cut of the garment. But if you have a great seamstress, she can re-shape some pieces for you.
Good Luck and please post what you find.
I wish we had a dedicated St. John thread here like Herve Leger and Rick Owens etc, but I guess it isn't really that popular given that there are a lot of younger members here. Hmmm... I'm getting an idea....

Hi brokeshopper,
I'm a huge St. John fan as well. I don't know where you live but you need to make friends with whomever is working at your local St. John Outlet. Once you've bought something from them, they will put you on their email list (or ask them if they don't offer) and you'll score some amazing deals. I have a hook up with the ladies at the Las Vegas location and I purchase a few new pieces each year sight unseen.
Be sure to keep a watch on both the Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus Sale/Clearance pages of their website for end of season sales. I find that NM Last Call only gets the Santana pieces in and I thought I heard that whole line was being discontinued.
If you want to go the eBay route as e_nmn_m suggested, search for "St. John Caviar" and St. John Couture" and "St. John Black Label". With those search words, you will pull up the most current pieces, a good proportion of which will be NWT or barely worn. If you have a good seamstress, then go ahead and buy something more vintage - some of the boucle knits from years past are gorgeous. I find the things that are a bit older are a little more dated looking because of the cut of the garment. But if you have a great seamstress, she can re-shape some pieces for you.
I wish we had a dedicated St. John thread here like Herve Leger and Rick Owens etc, but I guess it isn't really that popular given that there are a lot of younger members here. Hmmm... I'm getting an idea....

Nice to see a Canadian who also loves St.John's! :smile:

Do you by chance know where I could see them in Toronto?

Nice to see a Canadian who also loves St.John's! :smile:

Do you by chance know where I could see them in Toronto?
I'm on the other coast, so I'm not much help to you.
However, I know Holt Renfrew carries St. John (all the ON locations I assume). I'm surprised there is no St. John Boutique in Toronto. Weird.
I was at The Bay in downtown Vancouver a few weeks ago in their remodelled "The Room" and was very surprised to see they had some St. John stuff. The selection was fairly limited but at least they had some inventory. I can't see why the Toronto location would be any different.

There is a St. John Outlet in Naples,Fl. They have kept me on their emailing list even though I haven't ordered anything in about 5 years. :nuts: They send me pics at least every 2 weeks. :love: I deleted the last one or I would give you their address/phone number. If you call 1-800 information, they probably have a phone number listed for them. That's one thing about St. John.....they are so consistent that you can easily order from a picture and what you aren't sure about, they are only to happy to explain on the phone.

Hi brokeshopper,

VON,

I would LOVE to see a St John thread! Great idea!:tup:

239-433-1288
That is the phone number for the Naples,Fl. factory outlet if you want it. They are happy to add anyone to their email address book and will send you offers at least every 2 weeks. Enjoy:hbeat::happydance: