Workplace Work in England?

jp23

jeska2333
O.G.
Jan 6, 2012
Hello my name is Jessica and I'm a young 19 years old and about to finish up my 1st of 3 years of college. I'm working on my degree in photography with hopes to pursue a career in high fashion commercial advertising. I've been doing some research and have been considering a big move to Europe with hopes of making England my new home. I have some family in the country ( I don't remember where but I do remember a lot if chalk mines lol). I'm from Southern California and am currently living in LA (pasadena area). I hate the heat anything past 75 degrees is too hot for me lol and i love the rain. I do not care about the drinking age because I don't drink and Im not a big partier. But is there a future for me there? Why would anyone hire foreigner over a native? Should I live In the city? London vs Manchester? Would I be accepted? Last time I visited I was 5 and everyone was sweet to me and my family. The people we spoke to were some of the friendliest people we had ever met. But have things changed? Are the kids my age friendly? Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice would be wonderful. :smile:

Hi Jessica, congratulations on your college progress! This thread has a few hints for someone, also young and never lived abroard. Take a read through:

http://forum.purseblog.com/career-and-workplace/has-anyone-ever-worked-and-lived-abroad-692517.html

You need to research the UK labor laws and what work permit is required, how to obtain one, and how companies view hiring foreigners with work visas vs. local residents. Here are a few websites to get you started: http://www.americanexpats.co.uk/workvisa.htm and http://www.workpermit.com/uk/uk.htm

Generally speaking, European countries are very open to foreigners and due to its smaller size and open borders through the EU, are much more used to foreigners vs. the US.

Good luck!

Hi Jessica! Ooh sounds like an exciting decision you have to make. I moved from the US to England for college a couple of years ago so can definitely give you some info on the people, etc. I'm 25 by the way, so older than you but been here for nearly 4 years.

Everyone here loves the American accent although I have only lived up north and just visited London a few times. I find northerners a lot friendlier and cost of living is cheaper too. For the type of career you are pursuing I would say London is eventually the place you would want to be but there is quite a lot happening in Manchester too so that's always a good place to start as moving to London at such a young age can be quite daunting and tough.

They do hire a lot of foreigners so that isn't an issue. I'm not sure how it works in your field but for mine they look at a level grades (some british exams evryone here takes) so my high school grades were considered in addition to my college transcript when applying for work. So as long as you have decent grades or some sort of a portfolio I suppose for photography I don't think getting work would be difficult.

I could literally write an essay on this lol but feel free to PM me or ask more questions. Good luck :smile:

The north of England is certainly a lot cheaper but also poorer. They have a reputation of being more out going/ "friendlier" but also much higher rates of racism - will be fine if you are white and from an "english" country like Ireland, Australia, USA but not from eastern europe or if you are non-white.

The largest metropolitan areas, most notably Manchester, are more cosmopolitan and more accepting.

London has by far the greatest diversity of people but is also by far the highest cost of living. In a small town up north like Huddersfield an average 4 bed house is $300,000, in Manchester its $375,000 and in London $1,126,000 - though there are reasonable areas where you are more looking at $600,000

There are increasing drives to reduce immigration into the UK, the current government has targeted getting it down from hundreds of thousands a year to thousands a year and a right wing anti-immigration party (UK Independence) is gaining traction quickly. (We have an unlimited number of political party system)

It is certainly possible to get a Visa to come and live, and being from the USA will make it easier than from other countries but they are trying to make it tougher so if you are wanting to come, sooner rather than later would probably be sensible.

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ is the current site for immigration rules and advice, read their visa section and see if there are any category you may qualify in

We've got equal work opportunity here so it doesn't matter that you're foreigner. The tough part is how do you get work permit? I don't know the details but I don't think it's easy either if you're not from EU.

From my experience, work life is great. People I work with are professional and treat me fairly. Most English people are quite laid back and don't mind sharing knowledge but you will also have to work with Europeans who could possibly be more competitive.

Social life, not so great but it could just be me who work in IT industry so I don't have many girly friends to go out with. Teenagers.... hmmm... don't let this put you off but I've come across a few rude teenagers and also saw the news about bullying at school a few times but that also depends on where you are.

For your industry I think it's a good idea to stay in London. Don't be scared to keep searching for job vacancies online, see their requirements, send then CV and your portfolio. If they really want to work with you they might be able to help with visa and work permit. Good luck. :kiss:

Thank you all! I have Italian in me and it kinda shows I hope that won't be a problem but I'm half Mexican and have a Mexican last name but I look white lol. I don't know much about English politics but I guess I should learn hahaha.

If you guys have anything else to say please let me know! Does anyone here have any idea how the art / fashion world is in England right now?

The north of England is certainly a lot cheaper but also poorer. They have a reputation of being more out going/ "friendlier" but also much higher rates of racism - will be fine if you are white and from an "english" country like Ireland, Australia, USA but not from eastern europe or if you are non-white.

I think this is quite a sweeping generalisation, its not fair or honest to say half of a country is poor or has racisim issues. The UK is a great place and I cant believe you would have trouble finding a job or friends here. I am in Scotland there are loads of ladies from all over the UK on the Mulberry subforum, If you pop over there I am sure they can answer your questions about employment and life in London.

The largest metropolitan areas, most notably Manchester, are more cosmopolitan and more accepting.

London has by far the greatest diversity of people but is also by far the highest cost of living. In a small town up north like Huddersfield an average 4 bed house is $300,000, in Manchester its $375,000 and in London $1,126,000 - though there are reasonable areas where you are more looking at $600,000

There are increasing drives to reduce immigration into the UK, the current government has targeted getting it down from hundreds of thousands a year to thousands a year and a right wing anti-immigration party (UK Independence) is gaining traction quickly. (We have an unlimited number of political party system)

It is certainly possible to get a Visa to come and live, and being from the USA will make it easier than from other countries but they are trying to make it tougher so if you are wanting to come, sooner rather than later would probably be sensible.

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ is the current site for immigration rules and advice, read their visa section and see if there are any category you may qualify in

Was this copied and pasted from a travel guide somewhere?

Where on earth have you got this information from? I'm from the north of England.

Hi I posted this in the career area too but I thought I'd get more hits here.

Hello my name is Jessica and I'm a young 19 years old and about to finish up my 1st of 3 years of college. I'm working on my degree in photography with hopes to pursue a career in high fashion commercial advertising. I've been doing some research and have been considering a big move to Europe with hopes of making England my new home. I have some family in the country ( I don't remember where but I do remember a lot if chalk mines lol). I'm from Southern California and am currently living in LA (pasadena area). I hate the heat anything past 75 degrees is too hot for me lol and i love the rain. I do not care about the drinking age because I don't drink and Im not a big partier. But is there a future for me there? Why would anyone hire foreigner over a native? Should I live In the city? London vs Manchester? Would I be accepted? Last time I visited I was 5 and everyone was sweet to me and my family. The people we spoke to were some of the friendliest people we had ever met. But have things changed? Are the kids my age friendly? Is there anything I'm missing? Any advice would be wonderful. :smile:

Lol wow! I'm not white and nor do i look european by any means; I lived in Liverpool and not once did I experience any racism. That is just a major stereotype of the north. Racism can happen anywhere and isn't just confined to one part of a country. I would not call the north poorer either, I have seen some parts of London that are worse than anything I've seen up north. There are obviously a lot of negative stereotypes about the north but I can assure you they are nothing but stereotypes.

Maybe you should consider visiting England for a month or so? I'm only suggesting this because applying online, etc is often not a replacement for actually visiting agencies and having a look around for yourself. At least that way you can make a fully informed decision and if you decide not to move you'll have still gained a nice holiday.

Awww. I don't know the area and cannot help. But you sound like a doll. Good luck dear!! Hope it all works out for you. Such an exciting time in your life! Best wishes!!! Hugs!

I think this is quite a sweeping generalisation, its not fair or honest to say half of a country is poor or has racisim issues. The UK is a great place and I cant believe you would have trouble finding a job or friends here. I am in Scotland there are loads of ladies from all over the UK on the Mulberry subforum, If you pop over there I am sure they can answer your questions about employment and life in London.

Was this copied and pasted from a travel guide somewhere?

jp23 - I have to agree with mulberryforbes here. Whilst there is still some degree of racism in some places in the UK, I certainly wouldn't say that it affects half of the country!

I'm originally from the far north and am now living in the Midlands (not all that far from Manchester). People are certainly friendlier in the north and often tend to be welcoming, I find, no matter what your ethnic origins or skin colour.

In the road where I live, we have an Indian couple, a Pakistani family, a Chinese family and the rest are of English origin. Everyone gets on well and looks out for each other. There's always a friendly neighbour to turn to if you need help or advice.

As long as you research your areas (as in most countries, there are some enclaves which aren't good places for anyone to live), I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. If anything, the locals will probably be intrigued by your background and want to learn more, in my experience. :smile:

Oh, and I should add that a couple of American friends who came to visit us were treated like royalty by the local bus drivers, shop staff and everyone else we met when I was showing them around. I think they found their US accent and openness extremely charming.