Workplace Work experience in Fashion/Styling in Australia

Dec 21, 2011
Hi everyone I'm wondering if someone can help with some advice please?

My daughter is in high school (Year 10) in Australia and she has work experience coming up in November this year. Textiles is her favourite subject and wants to study fashion after school so she'd like to do her work experience somewhere in the fashion field. She's particularly interested in styling as a career so I'm wondering if anyone here has some advice as to where she should look at applying for work experience. So far she's sent some emails to a few stylists that she's found on the internet but hasn't had any sort of reply at all.

Anyone know of specific fashion magazines maybe that take on work experience students (it's for one week only) or is there somewhere else that she should be looking?

Any advice is much appreciated.

You can find online of all the places you want to work and send her CV to the HR dept.
But if fashion is her passion I'd suggest her starting her own blog. I've read couple young bloggers had more than 1000 followers. It takes some time to get traffic. And that's a Great way to get started.

Thanks Juneping. I have suggested she start a blog, she does have a Tumblr but I think a regular blog will be better.

By the way, I probably didn't explain it properly, but this is for 'highschool work experience' - in Australia that's just one week at a place that you would like to work to get a sense of what it's like. They do another week at a different place the following year. It gives you a bit of an idea of what the real world is like and whether you want to pursue that sort of job.

Thanks again for your reply :smile:

We're in Sydney :smile:

I'll see what I can come up with. I have a few friends down there that might consider a work experience girl. :smile: I'm in Brisbane. If you were here I might have been able to help a bit more...

Also, try Grazia mag. I know that they have taken people for work experience in the past, although as far as I know they were either finished their fashion degree or almost finished. I'm not sure of their policy on high school students.

Just prepare her for the very likely chance that she will only get to do a lot of running around for coffees, tidying, etc and probably won't get to experience any real excitement. It's frustrating but all of us in the fashion industry have had to do our time doing the grunt work (most of us years of it) so you have to be prepared to get through this to get to the good stuff. ;)

I'll see what I can come up with. I have a few friends down there that might consider a work experience girl. :smile: I'm in Brisbane. If you were here I might have been able to help a bit more...

Also, try Grazia mag. I know that they have taken people for work experience in the past, although as far as I know they were either finished their fashion degree or almost finished. I'm not sure of their policy on high school students.

Just prepare her for the very likely chance that she will only get to do a lot of running around for coffees, tidying, etc and probably won't get to experience any real excitement. It's frustrating but all of us in the fashion industry have had to do our time doing the grunt work (most of us years of it) so you have to be prepared to get through this to get to the good stuff. ;)

Thanks! :smile:

Oh yes, she's fully aware she'll be running around getting coffees and delivering packages, etc. LOL. I think she's still excited to just be in that environment.

So we just found out she has the opportunity next week to talk to one of the designers of a fashion label that she's already sent an email to, hopefully something comes from that. But thank you for checking for me would be great :smile:

Was meant to say last time Cyan Gypsy - sounds like you have an awesome job! You must get a lot of job satisfaction.

BTW, I heard that Grazia wasn't going to be published anymore? Maybe I heard wrong.

Thanks! :smile:

Oh yes, she's fully aware she'll be running around getting coffees and delivering packages, etc. LOL. I think she's still excited to just be in that environment.

So we just found out she has the opportunity next week to talk to one of the designers of a fashion label that she's already sent an email to, hopefully something comes from that. But thank you for checking for me would be great :smile:

Was meant to say last time Cyan Gypsy - sounds like you have an awesome job! You must get a lot of job satisfaction.

BTW, I heard that Grazia wasn't going to be published anymore? Maybe I heard wrong.

Sorry for the delayed reply! I've been working day and night and haven't had a chance to catch my breath! :smile:

It's fantastic that your daughter has realistic views of what she will most likely be doing. So many of the work experience students or interns that I had had very unrealistic ideas and some were even expecting to come out of it with they name published in Vogue by the end of the week! :roflmfao:
If this is her passion then any experience will be really rewarding and beneficial...even the bad experiences. Let her know that even when she has finished high school and is studying in her chosen area of fashion, she should continue to get as much experience as possible and jump at every opportunity even if it doesn't seem amazing. This will open more doors for her in the future than she could possibly imagine. :smile:

That's fantastic that it looks like she may have an opportunity to work with a designer! I'd love to know how it goes!

I do have an amazing job. Definitely can not complain! I love that when I wake up every day I actually look forward to going to work! :biggrin:

I had heard that rumour about Grazia too but have not had it confirmed. I noticed that they recently put out a special edition so maybe it's their last ditch effort? Not sure. I do know that I haven't had anything confirmed within the inside gossip mill. Haha!