On the Hunt --- Orange, Purple and (more Blue)

pcah2002

Jun 9, 2012
Hi Ladies,

Now that I've been on the "hunt" for a couple of months for Balenciaga bags, it seems as if half the fun and pleasure of owning them comes from the hunt and all those months of agonizing whether you'll ever find those bags or not. There's something about the "thrill of the chase" that adds to the excitement of owning them. They become "storied" possessions. I've made tons of impulsive purchases, not with Bals, but with other designer brands and I don't want the same buyer's remorse to plague me with my Bal purchases (plus I'm older now and it's harder to live down impulsive buys), so I would appreciate any help or any opinions/descriptions from the ladies who have seen these bags in real life. There are no Balenciaga stores where I live and I don't see many women carrying genuine Balenciagas (I see tons of fakes going around and they are being sold by droves of people here) --- there are quite a number of Balenciaga afficionados where I live, I'm just not in touch with them. :smile: So TPF is my main source of info.

1. Orange bags - How does Mandarin 2009 compare with Tangerine 2013?

Are they nearly the same? I looked at the pictures in the Color Reference Library and Mandarin seems to be somewhat darker and "redder" than Tangerine. There were no comparison pics. I'm basing that opinion on photos of Tangerine that I've seen so far. Tangerine looks more yellow and "brighter". But Mandarin looks like a "richer" orange. Gold Hardware also looks great with Tangerine. Anyway, would appreciate any opinions from Orange Lovers or from those who have seen these colors in real life. Also how do the 2013 leathers feel? Are they "drier" than previous years' bags?

2. Purple bags - How does Blue Lavande 2011 compare with Mauve 2013?

Blue Lavande seems like a very hard color to capture. I've seen pictures where it looks so blue that it could pass for Outremer. I've seen pictures that make it look darker than others and I've seen pictures that make it look nearly the same as Mauve. In the blue-purple spectrum, is Blue Lavande more blue or purple? Is it very similar to Mauve? Which color is darker/brighter? I'm looking for a "medium" purple bag. Colors like raisin, LE Violet 2012 or even Sapphire are a little too dark for what I want to add to my still modest but growing collection. :smile:

3. Blue - How does Blue Paon 2011 compare with Cyclade 2010?

I'm a veritable blue lover and would love to add more blues to my collection. Cyclade is one color that confuses me. In certain pictures it looks like a blue-green with a hint of gray in it (thus looking like a muted turquoise, but on the bluer side). In some photos it looks like a bright sky blue, not the official Sky Blue of Balenciaga, but the color of azure skies, perhaps close to 2008 Turquoise (which is a very blue Turquoise and not at all green).

Blue Paon photographs more consistently. It looks like the azure blue of the skies with no hint of green. However, Blue Paon and Cyclade look very similar in certain photos. Is Cyclade darker than Blue Paon and does it really have that tinge of "gray" making it a "muted" shade?

Thanks so much in advance for your opinions ladies. :smile: I would appreciate any comparison photos, if there are any!

Last edited:
Well, you have certainly been doing your research and deserve to get the perfect color for sure. I only have older bags so I am no help whatsoever, but I had to find all this out here as well.
I hope some of the other members will post comparison shots. But probably not many will have 2 colors that are very close to one another.

Balenciaga colors can be very confusing as they photograph in unexpected ways AND no two bags are exactly the same.

I know you went to the reference thread, but there is a section where all the colors are presented by season. Try that .

Of all the colors you've mentioned I only have Bleu Lavande. This is one of my most favorite colors and I know that many girls prefer it over Mauve. I have not seen Mauve IRL, but for some reason, it is not very popular. BL on the other hand is a beautiful medium purple with a touch of blue. Because of this interesting mix, this color goes so well with so many other colors, it is just striking how it highlights the beauty of other colors (from olive to teal, browns, beiges, cream, yellow, red). May be with the exception of navy blue.

pcah2002 said:
Hi Ladies,

Now that I've been on the "hunt" for a couple of months for Balenciaga bags, it seems as if half the fun and pleasure of owning them comes from the hunt and all those months of agonizing whether you'll ever find those bags or not. There's something about the "thrill of the chase" that adds to the excitement of owning them. They become "storied" possessions. I've made tons of impulsive purchases, not with Bals, but with other designer brands and I don't want the same buyer's remorse to plague me with my Bal purchases (plus I'm older now and it's harder to live down impulsive buys), so I would appreciate any help or any opinions/descriptions from the ladies who have seen these bags in real life. There are no Balenciaga stores where I live and I don't see many women carrying genuine Balenciagas (I see tons of fakes going around and they are being sold by droves of people here) --- there are quite a number of Balenciaga afficionados where I live, I'm just not in touch with them. :smile: So TPF is my main source of info.

1. Orange bags - How does Mandarin 2009 compare with Tangerine 2013?

2. Purple bags - How does Blue Lavande 2011 compare with Mauve 2013?

Blue Lavande seems like a very hard color to capture. I've seen pictures where it looks so blue that it could pass for Outremer. I've seen pictures that make it look darker than others and I've seen pictures that make it look nearly the same as Mauve. In the blue-purple spectrum, is Blue Lavande more blue or purple? Is it very similar to Mauve? Which color is darker/brighter? I'm looking for a "medium" purple bag. Colors like raisin, LE Violet 2012 or even Sapphire are a little too dark for what I want to add to my still modest but growing collection. :smile:

Thanks so much in advance for your opinions ladies. :smile: I would appreciate any comparison photos, if there are any!

I can only comment on BL and Mauve because I've seen these colors in real life!

I have a BL RGGH PT and the color is more a purple than blue! I remember scouring through tons of pics n info here before being able to get my hands on one. The purple in real life IS really like the Milka Chocolate wrapper, a very deep n vibrant color.

milka+cow+2.jpg

Mauve on the other hand,was rather disappointing to me. I had initially thought it was close to BL but it wasn't. Saw it first in the Bal boutique and haven't taken a second look since! It's more like a light blue with undertones of purple.
A little like this:

morning-glory.jpg

Plus Balenciaga has always had a problem with their light blues and fading issues so...

But that's all me! Hope this helps, somehow!

I agree bleu lavender is perhaps a more versatile colour. Mauve is a very pastel light purple which makes it look a little girly/teeny bopper if you know what I mean.

Well, you have certainly been doing your research and deserve to get the perfect color for sure. I only have older bags so I am no help whatsoever, but I had to find all this out here as well.
I hope some of the other members will post comparison shots. But probably not many will have 2 colors that are very close to one another.

Balenciaga colors can be very confusing as they photograph in unexpected ways AND no two bags are exactly the same.

I know you went to the reference thread, but there is a section where all the colors are presented by season. Try that .

Thank you for your kind reply maxxout! (Wasn't on the forum for a couple of weeks). I will have to disagree with you though about not many Bal ladies owning very similarly colored bags. :smile: I've see so many photos of extensive collections from the same color family, e.g. A pink lover who owns Sorbet, Cyclamen and Amethyst and Magenta. Sorbet and Cyclamen look very similar in many pictures ... purplish pinks. Amethyst and Magenta are also purplish pinks but much deeper. Lots of Turquoise lovers here too and looking at their pics makes me feel like I'm in Turquoise Heaven. :loveeyes:

Many thanks for the suggestion! I have looked at the color charts by season and it was a very big help! :tup: Blue Lavande with RGGH is divine and defiitely my next purchase! :graucho:

Of all the colors you've mentioned I only have Bleu Lavande. This is one of my most favorite colors and I know that many girls prefer it over Mauve. I have not seen Mauve IRL, but for some reason, it is not very popular. BL on the other hand is a beautiful medium purple with a touch of blue. Because of this interesting mix, this color goes so well with so many other colors, it is just striking how it highlights the beauty of other colors (from olive to teal, browns, beiges, cream, yellow, red). May be with the exception of navy blue.

Thank you so much Lakotan! Blue Lavande is definitely my next purchase... It's so difficult to get a sense of how it looks like in real life though, as it seems to be one of the most difficult colors to photograph. Some photographs show it as a medium purple, kind of like periwinkle in a box of crayolas. And some show it as a much deeper purple, but not as deep as 2007's (??) Grape or 2012's Dark Violet. And then there are some photos that make it look like 2010's Outremer. Gotta find me something with RGGH because I've seen pics of Blue Lavande with RGGH and it looks sooo very stunning. :smile:

I can only comment on BL and Mauve because I've seen these colors in real life!

I have a BL RGGH PT and the color is more a purple than blue! I remember scouring through tons of pics n info here before being able to get my hands on one. The purple in real life IS really like the Milka Chocolate wrapper, a very deep n vibrant color.

milka+cow+2.jpg

Mauve on the other hand,was rather disappointing to me. I had initially thought it was close to BL but it wasn't. Saw it first in the Bal boutique and haven't taken a second look since! It's more like a light blue with undertones of purple.
A little like this:

morning-glory.jpg

Plus Balenciaga has always had a problem with their light blues and fading issues so...

But that's all me! Hope this helps, somehow!

Thank you soo much Leamb for taking the time to post these photos!!:urock: The pictures helped me to decide on Blue Lavande as my next purchase! If Blue Lavande is that vibrant, then it's really to-die-for!! Oh my gosh, you own my Holy Grail, a Blue Lavande in Part Time with RGGH!!! That bag is sooo very, very stunning!!!:ps:I certainly hope I can acquire one. I had my doubts about the Part Time initially because it looks "long" in photos. But in real life, it's not at all long and I love the proportion. I love how it's roomier than the City. Many thanks again for your photos!

I agree bleu lavender is perhaps a more versatile colour. Mauve is a very pastel light purple which makes it look a little girly/teeny bopper if you know what I mean.

Thanks for replying to this thread Yikkie!!:smile: Is Mauve similar to Nuage? Nuage is a very "airy" and light pastel blue with a whisper of purple, at least that's how it shows on my monitor. I love Nuage especially with RGGH, and if Mauve is pastel-y, I might find the color pretty but perhaps hold off on purchasing one just because I find it hard to maintain light-colored bags. I've toyed with the idea of getting a Nuage since it's such a soothing color, but I'm afraid it might be high maintenance. I've seen some photos of older light bags developing some kind of 'yellowish patina' (or maybe that's a discoloration?)... I just got into Bal bags last year and now I'm am totally hooked. But honestly, I find them to be a bit 'high maintenance' and not really ideal for "schlepping" as they easily get scuffed.

Thank you for your kind reply maxxout! (Wasn't on the forum for a couple of weeks). I will have to disagree with you though about not many Bal ladies owning very similarly colored bags. :smile: I've see so many photos of extensive collections from the same color family, e.g. A pink lover who owns Sorbet, Cyclamen and Amethyst and Magenta. Sorbet and Cyclamen look very similar in many pictures ... purplish pinks. Amethyst and Magenta are also purplish pinks but much deeper. Lots of Turquoise lovers here too and looking at their pics makes me feel like I'm in Turquoise Heaven. :loveeyes:

Many thanks for the suggestion! I have looked at the color charts by season and it was a very big help! :tup: Blue Lavande with RGGH is divine and defiitely my next purchase! :graucho:

Yes.....your're right. I even have similar colored B bags. What was I thinking?
Hope you find that BL with RGGH......sounds great.

Thanks for replying to this thread Yikkie!!:smile: Is Mauve similar to Nuage? Nuage is a very "airy" and light pastel blue with a whisper of purple, at least that's how it shows on my monitor. I love Nuage especially with RGGH, and if Mauve is pastel-y, I might find the color pretty but perhaps hold off on purchasing one just because I find it hard to maintain light-colored bags. I've toyed with the idea of getting a Nuage since it's such a soothing color, but I'm afraid it might be high maintenance. I've seen some photos of older light bags developing some kind of 'yellowish patina' (or maybe that's a discoloration?)... I just got into Bal bags last year and now I'm am totally hooked. But honestly, I find them to be a bit 'high maintenance' and not really ideal for "schlepping" as they easily get scuffed.

Mauve is quite different from Nuage! It's definitely more lilac/purple and is bright, a little neon-like vs. softer shades like glycerine, which I find easier to wear.

I have Nuage in RGGH and am totally loving it. It's a gorgeous blue and while I have seen badly faded ones, I believe it also depends on how the bag is handled. So for now, I'll just enjoy it while taking good care of it ;) All Bbags need to be treated with TLC for them to last long, IMO.

I advise staying away from blue bbags as they are notorious for fading. I just saw a girl carrying a blue city next to me in line during lunch. Except her bag wasn't blue anymore, only the outer rim of the bag appears a light faded blue. The center part looked almost off-white/cream colored. This is the first time I've seen a bbag faded to such extreme extent. Definitely makes me think twice about buying another bal.

Mauve is quite different from Nuage! It's definitely more lilac/purple and is bright, a little neon-like vs. softer shades like glycerine, which I find easier to wear.

I have Nuage in RGGH and am totally loving it. It's a gorgeous blue and while I have seen badly faded ones, I believe it also depends on how the bag is handled. So for now, I'll just enjoy it while taking good care of it ;) All Bbags need to be treated with TLC for them to last long, IMO.

Nuage is really pretty! I've seen pictures with both RGGH and GSH and it's one of those rare colors that go so beautifully with both. I agree with the TLC for Bals to last long! :smile:

I advise staying away from blue bbags as they are notorious for fading. I just saw a girl carrying a blue city next to me in line during lunch. Except her bag wasn't blue anymore, only the outer rim of the bag appears a light faded blue. The center part looked almost off-white/cream colored. This is the first time I've seen a bbag faded to such extreme extent. Definitely makes me think twice about buying another bal.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I have fully succumbed to the allure of the Bal Blues. In the last 1.5 months, I have purchased an Outremer in very good condition, a mint-condition Electric Blue and a pristine Blue Lavande. A little ouchy on the pocket, but I have been seduced to the Bal side ... the blue Bal side. :smile: And as such, there is no turning back. Fading issues notwithstanding, Bal makes very beautiful blues. This means, I'll just have to be very careful with my recent acquisitions. I'll have to do my research on Collonil spray ... I've heard this provides UV protection for fading issues. I don't take my bags out very often too so my bags just might be spared. At least I'm hoping....:tender: