I bought item with free one day shipping and big prob!

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
I bought a bag and paid last friday morning and the listing literally said free one day shipping. And the seller shipped it on friday too and it is coming from NJ. It said it was processed through the facility that very day. It is now saying on ebay its saying the delivery is tomorrow. But then the usps tracking is saying it won't be here till thursday. What the holy heck? That's 5 days! Is something up with this or....?

Maybe they meant one day shipping as one day handling. There is overnight/express, and priority offered by the PO
Didn't you have a similar problem with shipping expectations? Ebay shipping estimates cause more trouble. Unless Ebay is delivering the packages themselves they shouldn't be guaranteeing delivery times.
Is there a problem having it delivered tomorrow or Thursday? Do you have to be there to sign for it?

Free one day shipping sounds like the seller ships within one business day. They did that. I don't know what you are expecting. If they said one day delivery, well, then I would guess overnight delivery within a business day might be expected.
The expected delivery dates from EBay are fairly inaccurate and I would never count on them.

oh ok, so the general concensus here is that the seller meant ships in one day, when I literally took it to mean the item arrives in that time. May be my mistake.

oh ok, so the general concensus here is that the seller meant ships in one day, when I literally took it to mean the item arrives in that time. May be my mistake.

I hope you do realize that a seller can control only when and by which method the item ships. Once the seller drops it off at the PO, it is up to the carrier company in terms how long it takes to actually get to you.

The only guaranteed delivery is express mail, which is 1-day or 2-day delivery, depending on the delivery zip code.

When a seller states one-day shipping, that means she ships within 1 business day of payment. And actually, you got a great seller who shipped on Friday, the same day you paid. Because since Saturday and Sunday aren't considered business days, your seller could have waited until Monday to ship and she would have been completely within her terms.

If you want something that fast, it might be easier and less stressful to go to the department store and buy it. That way, you can have it the same day.

You're asking the impossible of your sellers!

Last edited:
I really didn't mean to seem to expectant of the seller! I really, honestly, thought that meant it arrives in one business day ( or within that). Like zappos one day shipping, it's always there when they say it will be.

Apparently you (incorrectly) assumed your seller was using express mail. Are you aware of how expensive express mail is?

Here's a screen shot showing the price for an express flat rate box ($39.95) and express FRE (flat rate envelope) at $19.95. And if the item was too large to fit into the FRB, it could cost upwards of $60 or more for express mail.

Unless that $20 - $60+ was built into the purchase price of the item, there's no way you would expect EMS.
Picture3-2_zpseb4a8452.png

I bought a bag and paid last friday morning and the listing literally said free one day shipping. And the seller shipped it on friday too and it is coming from NJ. It said it was processed through the facility that very day. It is now saying on ebay its saying the delivery is tomorrow. But then the usps tracking is saying it won't be here till thursday. What the holy heck? That's 5 days! Is something up with this or....?

To be very literal:

Free shipping means they put the price of the shipping into the item, as the USPS sends nothing for free not even for big companies.

One day shipping and handling means they will get your order out from their house to the post office within one business day of receiving cleared payment. Not many sellers ship same day (I do when I can, but I can only do what I can do within time constraints and the hours of the local post office), so that was very nice of her to send it same day.

I really didn't mean to seem to expectant of the seller! I really, honestly, thought that meant it arrives in one business day ( or within that). Like zappos one day shipping, it's always there when they say it will be.

OP, by your posts I get that you simply understood "one-day shipping" to mean the item would take one day to get to you (like the service Zappos uses) and that you don't demand anything from your seller. You just thought he/she literally meant "one-day" shipping and you used the Zappos example NOT to suggest that sellers should operate/ship like large businesses, but simply to explain you thought it was one-day shipping LIKE Zappos uses. I think TutuShopper explained it best. It simply meant the turn around would be 1 business day. While you won't get your package as soon as you thought, you will still get it pretty quickly. I just purchased an item that says the seller has 7 business days to ship, lol. The wait begins for me...

Last edited:
To be very literal:

Free shipping means they put the price of the shipping into the item, as the USPS sends nothing for free not even for big companies.

One day shipping and handling means they will get your order out from their house to the post office within one business day of receiving cleared payment. Not many sellers ship same day (I do when I can, but I can only do what I can do within time constraints and the hours of the local post office), so that was very nice of her to send it same day.

I should add that even when a seller charges separately for shipping, ebay or bonanza plus paypal take a percentage of those funds, so a seller ends up paying one way or another. I'm sending out a box tomorrow (they paid tonight) that is costing me $10 plus paypal/bonanza fees on top of what I charged the buyer for postage/insurance. I just can't seem to win with shipping costs! I figure it will end up at least $15 out of my "profit" (which was actually a loss from what I paid for the brand new item) from shipping minimum. I hope the buyer appreciates the fast service and great packing. I think she will; she is a reseller and will make a killing selling what she bought.