Seche Vite dry fast top coat

SV does not work on me either! It peels within 24 hours or so; however, most top coats peel on me anyway.

I have found a "holy grail" of top coats though-- Revlon Color Stay. A blogger/youtuber recommended it on her youtube channel (amarixe) and it is amazing! She even compares the shine to SV (her favorite before finding Revlon) and says she PREFERS the shine of the Revlon to SV.

Before finding the Revlon Color Stay, I was repainting my nails every 1-2 to days because polish peeled on me so easily-- even professionally done! Now, I paint my nails on Sunday night and must take the polish off at some point during the following weekend. It rarely chips and looks wonderful throughout the week.

SV is definitely my to go top coat.

I found out that it requires some testing and experimentation. It just doesn't work well with some polishes. E.g. when I used it with some of my OPI polishes shrinkage happened. With some indie and cheaper polishes the tips would chip in 1 day. However, SV works very well with most polishes and the 1 minute dry to touch claim is completely true =)

I absolutely love Seche Vite - it's the only top coat I use! I've never had any problems with chipping/peeling for at least a week, and that goes for any type of color I use - OPI, Essie, Deborah Lippmann, Ciate, etc. I love this stuff. And it's so nice not to have to sit around waving my hands in the air for 15 minutes while waiting for some other top coat to dry. :smile:

I've been using Seche Vite for a while, and it does dry super quickly and shiny. However, I just cannot handle the smell. I feel like I am losing brain cells from the odor when I use it. Also, with certain polishes, it just peels completely off the next day.

I used to LOVE seche vite.... but then gets goopy so quick! Thats what really threw me off. I would get not even half-way through the bottle and it would start getting bad. Aside from that, I loved that it dried super quick, very shiny, and "fixed" any mistakes i had from applying polish. I just thought it wasn't worth it anymore. Now I use Essie Good To Go and it works just as well.

wausauness said:
I used to LOVE seche vite.... but then gets goopy so quick! Thats what really threw me off. I would get not even half-way through the bottle and it would start getting bad. Aside from that, I loved that it dried super quick, very shiny, and "fixed" any mistakes i had from applying polish. I just thought it wasn't worth it anymore. Now I use Essie Good To Go and it works just as well.

I just threw out two bottles that were both half full and a sticky gooey mess!!!! Maybe I'll try the Essie good to go as well....

inm Out The Door topcoat is the best I have ever used. I use it with Orly Nail Armor as a base coat, and Orly polish. I get a full 6-7 days with no chips and I am hard on my nails, with lots of hand washing and household chores. Orly Argan Cuticle Oil is amazing, too.

Obsessed with this top coat. I use their base coat and two coats of (usually essie) polish as well. I don't notice it peeling off in large pieces, but I also paint my nails every other to every two days (literally..). It dries my nails super fast and makes the fact that I paint my nails so often less time consuming!

I liked the hardness and shine, but the bottle getting goopy so quickly and incredible shrinkage was enough to make me start looking elsewhere. I really wanted to have good luck with SV, but all the shrinkage made my manicure prematurely look crappy :P

I liked the hardness and shine, but the bottle getting goopy so quickly and incredible shrinkage was enough to make me start looking elsewhere. I really wanted to have good luck with SV, but all the shrinkage made my manicure prematurely look crappy :P

Ok the goopiness is fixable when you buy Seche Vite you know it goes goopy fast so you get Seche Restore aswell, no need to throw out half used bottles! Second you need to cover all the polish and wrap the edges when you apply SV, that usually takes care of any shrinkage you might have usually. It's not 100% but it works most of the time, though i've found SV doesn't love certain jellies, not all but some.

Seche Vite shrinkage is unpredictable. Even when I use it on colors that I've had no problems with, on one day for some reason, I will get shrinkage. Maybe it's the weather, humid days seem to affect SV in mysterious ways. :P

Ok the goopiness is fixable when you buy Seche Vite you know it goes goopy fast so you get Seche Restore aswell, no need to throw out half used bottles! Second you need to cover all the polish and wrap the edges when you apply SV, that usually takes care of any shrinkage you might have usually. It's not 100% but it works most of the time, though i've found SV doesn't love certain jellies, not all but some.

I got the restore, but for me having to buy seche and restore is just too much trouble for (what turns out to be) a so-so top coat. I ended up using more restore than seche, ha ha! And even wrapping the edges doesn't help for my shrinkage; however, probably it's body chemistry. I think many people have way less shrinkage than I typically do :rain:

I used to get shrinkage with the SV top coat, but I've learned a way to not get it: don't apply your top coat until your nails are 80% dry already. Then you won't get any shrinkage and your nails will be uber shiny. :smile:

I used to get shrinkage with the SV top coat, but I've learned a way to not get it: don't apply your top coat until your nails are 80% dry already. Then you won't get any shrinkage and your nails will be uber shiny. :smile:

Maybe thats why i don't get shrinkage much i almost always put SV on when my nails are touch dry, by that i mean a finger tip lightly touching the nail. And it can't be humidity, where i live we have killer humidity in the summer, SV is the only thing that dries my nails fast enough that i don't get bubbles in my mani from the heat. I'm not saying SV is the best but it does what it sets out to do which dries your polish, all the layers very quick, i mean without SV would you do a jelly sandwich mani? I have mani's that have had over 7 or more layers of polish without SV to dry it i would never have done so many layers without wrecking it as it would take forever to dry. True it gets scatched up very easy but its not a problem just top with some other top coat.

Last edited:

Wow, really? Maybe that's the problem- I thought you were supposed to use it when your nails were completely wet (or close to it). I knew you guys were keeping secrets, he he :lol: j/k