Elena vs Quinn: the Wellesley throwdown!

silverstar16

pretty in pink
Mar 29, 2009
I love both of these models in theory (although I haven't actually seen either of them in person yet). I like that both bags are structured rather than slouchy, have longer strap drops so I can wear them on my shoulder, and I LOOOOOOVE the zippered divider in the middle.

So my question to you is: who would win in a jello wrestling match? If you could only get one of these bags, would it be Elena or Quinn?

I've been carrying pretty small smushy bags lately (my way of keeping myself from cramming too much inside) but I'm ready to go back to a larger tote type bag and I really love the way both the Elena and Quinn look, and I love the colors but they're so similar that I can't justify buying one of each so I need your help deciding!

elena, because it's bigger. the quinn looks better, in my opinion, because it's perfectly "square." but the elena is more useful (for me, personally) because it is bigger. for example, you can fit a file folder in the elena. you can't in the quinn.

Ahhh, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I was actually wondering how big an item could go inside each bag due to the indentations at the top. People usually give the measurements at the bottom of the bag and I had a feeling that wouldn't tell me the dimensions of the biggest item I could fit inside (folder, laptop, etc). Thanks!

Is the strap long enough to carry the bag on your shoulder? I've seen such a wide range of measurements for the strap drop (ranging from 6.5"-8.5") that I'm unsure if anyone on eBay knows how to hold a measuring tape correctly ;)

Any thoughts on Elena vs Rachelle? Again, similar size and structure but Rachelle zips shut while Elena has the separate compartments. Any preference between the two?

Yes, I'm actually carrying my peacock rachelle today. I personally prefer the elena because it does not "taper" as much at the top of the bag. I can't really fit a file folder in my rachelle, because the rachelle has these funny "attachments" on the inside of the bag, which reduces the overall width of the interior of the bag. I'll post photos in a little bit to show you what i mean.

Ahhh, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for! I was actually wondering how big an item could go inside each bag due to the indentations at the top. People usually give the measurements at the bottom of the bag and I had a feeling that wouldn't tell me the dimensions of the biggest item I could fit inside (folder, laptop, etc). Thanks!

Is the strap long enough to carry the bag on your shoulder? I've seen such a wide range of measurements for the strap drop (ranging from 6.5"-8.5") that I'm unsure if anyone on eBay knows how to hold a measuring tape correctly ;)

Yes, the handles of the elena are long enough to shoulder-carry, but they are kinda stiff so i often have t cross one over the other. You'll have the same thing with the quinn though, because it's the leather that's awfully stiff.

Yes, I'm actually carrying my peacock rachelle today. I personally prefer the elena because it does not "taper" as much at the top of the bag. I can't really fit a file folder in my rachelle, because the rachelle has these funny "attachments" on the inside of the bag, which reduces the overall width of the interior of the bag. I'll post photos in a little bit to show you what i mean.
I just got my gulabi Rachelle today, and I can see exactly what you mean. When I looked at the photos online, I loved those little fabric attachments because it means you can unzip the bag all the way without anything falling out. The problem is that they made the fabric pieces a bit too small, which limits how wide you can open the top of the bag. The peacock color you have is gorgeous! I almost bought it in that color.

I LOVE the design aesthetics of the Rachelle. The shape is beautiful and there are some really thoughtful details with the handles and the zipper pulls (I love that when the main zipper pulls are at the top center of the bag and are hanging in the back, they don't hang down in front of the back zipper area, and I love that when the handles are flipped all the way down, they don't touch the ground).

Unfortunately, once I put it on my shoulder I realized that one of the things I loved the most (being able to zip the bag closed) kept it from being practical for me. Because of the length of the handles and the position of the zippers, I can't really get into the bag while it's on my shoulder. I'm a germaphobe so I don't want to have to take the bag off my shoulder and set it on the counter just to get my wallet out to pay for groceries or get my keys.

Yes, the handles of the elena are long enough to shoulder-carry, but they are kinda stiff so i often have t cross one over the other. You'll have the same thing with the quinn though, because it's the leather that's awfully stiff.
I noticed the same issue with the Rachelle handles. Are the Elena handles the same length as the Rachelle handles?

Last edited:
I am also considering a Martine - any opinions on that vs. Elena?

I like that the Martine has a little snap closure (I am sometimes a bit of a klutz so I have this irrational fear that I will trip and everything in my bag will spill everywhere like in the movies, despite the fact that this has never actually happened to me). But the zip pockets on either side seem like they aren't very wide, so are they practical for use? Or is the middle zip section of the Elena more useful?

I am also considering a Martine - any opinions on that vs. Elena?

I like that the Martine has a little snap closure (I am sometimes a bit of a klutz so I have this irrational fear that I will trip and everything in my bag will spill everywhere like in the movies, despite the fact that this has never actually happened to me). But the zip pockets on either side seem like they aren't very wide, so are they practical for use? Or is the middle zip section of the Elena more useful?

Is the martine the larger style that has the two zips on the side plus the open middle? (like the prada saffiano tote)? If that's the bag i'm thinking of, it's significantly larger than the elena but a bit "shorter" in height.