Cracked patent pigalle?

akillian24

Flap Happy
Aug 16, 2008
Has anyone ever randomly had a patent pigalle crack?

I ask because I dropped off my patent graffiti 120's to have vibram soles applied after having worn them just twice. While there, I asked if I could have the ball of the foot stretched a bit. The front counter clerk told me they could stretch them, but it would be slow.

I just picked up my Pigalles today - and (see pic) there is a rather large crack right on the ball of the foot. The front desk gentleman went and got the owner as he does the actual work, who said he didn't stretch them because there is no way to stretch patent and the pigalle has such a small toebox that it won't even fit on a stretcher. I then asked the owner to go and get the front desk clerk (who had rather conveniently hidden out in the back room) and asked why he said they could be stretched, the owner said he didn't stretch them because they don't ever stretch patent shoes like those..... etc. In short: Their conclusion was that regardless of what they said, the shoes were never stretched and that the crack must have already been there.

So to my question: Has anyone ever had a patent pigalle (or other shoe) randomly crack from wearing them? Granted, I wore them to an event with a bit of dancing.. but I'm just struggling to see how wearing them twice would have caused them to crack to the degree they did, and so suddenly.

ETA: I should probably add that this is a reputable cobbler for CL's.

51eef597-3baf-4923-9f85-ec588af1345f_zpsf6d34fbe.jpg

Last edited:
No I haven't, you have to put quite a bit of stress on patent to get it to crack, or it has to be old and worn a lot. My most worn patent CL don't even really have creases in them and I have had them over a year. My guess is they did try to stretch and and they cracked, or they did that somehow when they applied the vibram soles.

.... or they did that somehow when they applied the vibram soles.

That's a really interesting thought. I wonder if it could be done when putting the vibrams on? The only reason I'm even questioning it, is that the original Pigalles I ordered arrived with a crack.. in almost an identical location. I had to do an exchange to get these.... which also now have the same crack.

This is all so bizarre.

Same pigalle, the graffiti? Maybe it's a bad lot of patent leather? I would think they would have to put something inside the shoe to keep it from moving as they apply the soles, or put them in something to keep them stable? I have never seen it done so I wouldn't know, but just seems odd. KWIM?

Same pigalle, the graffiti? Maybe it's a bad lot of patent leather? I would think they would have to put something inside the shoe to keep it from moving as they apply the soles, or put them in something to keep them stable? I have never seen it done so I wouldn't know, but just seems odd. KWIM?

Exact same shoe. And in nearly the exact same location..... the only difference is that I hadn't even worn the first pair.

That is really strange, what are the odds? Same shoe, different pair, crack in same spot. Could be a bad lot, maybe the weak spot was there and from dancing in them it was enough to crack it, or from have the soles applied whatever they did was enough stress to crack it.

That is really strange, what are the odds? Same shoe, different pair, crack in same spot. Could be a bad lot, maybe the weak spot was there and from dancing in them it was enough to crack it, or from have the soles applied whatever they did was enough stress to crack it.

And I just pulled out the ticket from the cobbler... no stretching was marked, so the person doing the work wouldn't have had any idea he was supposed to do anything other than put the soles on the shoe...

I'm too new to CL to really know anything about this patent issue, but I wanted to say I'm sorry about your shoes! :hugs: They are gorgeous, crack or no crack, but I hope MM7 has some good news for you.

I apologize for replying here, but I saw your signature about wanting a crazy colored pigalle and I saw a gorgeous fuschia pair on the bay. You've probably seen them, but if not would you want the link?

I ask because I dropped off my patent graffiti 120's to have vibram soles applied after having worn them just twice. While there, I asked if I could have the ball of the foot stretched a bit. The front counter clerk told me they could stretch them, but it would be slow.

I just picked up my Pigalles today - and (see pic) there is a rather large crack right on the ball of the foot. The front desk gentleman went and got the owner as he does the actual work, who said he didn't stretch them because there is no way to stretch patent and the pigalle has such a small toebox that it won't even fit on a stretcher. I then asked the owner to go and get the front desk clerk (who had rather conveniently hidden out in the back room) and asked why he said they could be stretched, the owner said he didn't stretch them because they don't ever stretch patent shoes like those..... etc. In short: Their conclusion was that regardless of what they said, the shoes were never stretched and that the crack must have already been there.

So to my question: Has anyone ever had a patent pigalle (or other shoe) randomly crack from wearing them? Granted, I wore them to an event with a bit of dancing.. but I'm just struggling to see how wearing them twice would have caused them to crack to the degree they did, and so suddenly.

I've got a pair of patent Decolletes which have cracked where your Piggies have cracked - near the widest part of the foot. This is what happens when the shoes have been worn to death. I took them to a cobbler and they inserted a bit of leather just behind the cracked patent, and re-stitched it to reinforce it.

Good luck!

Wow. That really stinks. I really, really hate when shoes 'mysteriously' have something happen to them while at the cobbler. I've had my fair share, for sure. The cobbler could have conceivably done this while placing the vibrams. Just wearing them out 2 times would not do this and they're last season so age isn't a factor here. Did you get these from a boutique or a store? Contact your SA or corporate to see if there is something that can be done but I fear nothing can be done once a shoe is like that beyond maybe stopping it from cracking more. I'm so sorry this happened to your shoe.

I have only had one pair in all my years crack like this-- a pair of Décolleté. The only reason, I believe, they cracked is because they were my work shoe and I wore them literally to their death.

I have a few small cracks in my oldest pair of Black Patent Pigalles. Its in the same place as yours but the crack isn't quite as long. I've probably worn them more than 50 times in all kinds of weather though so I think they're just getting worn out. I didn't stretch mine.

No CLs should crack after 2 wearings in my opinion...