International mail using USPS regular air srvice

missbao

Mar 24, 2010
Hi all, I need help

I bought a prada pouch from US eBay seller, I'm located in Singapore

I have requested seller to send by International first class mail flat rate box and she asked for USD 35, I said its not so expensive but nevertheless I paid and asked her to refund me if I overpaid

Later she told me she had used USPS regular air service for only USD 13 and refund me USD 22!
I have never heard or used this before...

Now tell me, is this a good or bad thng?

I would never ship an expensive item to Singapore via USPS First Class Mail. She took a risk, which I would never take. This method although the cheapest is no trackable, not sure if insurable and don't know how long it takes.

I would never ship an expensive item to Singapore via USPS First Class Mail. She took a risk, which I would never take. This method although the cheapest is no trackable, not sure if insurable and don't know how long it takes.

Thanks for replying, I have specifically asked her to ship in flat box and she choose the other way so if it's lost, I'm not liable for it...

To add on there's a LC Xxxxxx number, is that useful?

There's no such thing as a first class flat rate box. There's priority flat rate boxes (various sizes), flat rate envelope, express mail flat rate envelope and flat rate boxes.

WHen you asked her for first class, that's what she used, thus, it was only around $15.

As I understand, the newest rise is USPS charges are supposed to include international tracking for first class and FRE and small FRB, but at this time, I don't think tracking has been implemented. There is full tracking for other priority boxes, both flat rate and non-flat rate.

The LC number is a customs number and although it'll sometimes show a limited amount of tracking, it usually doesn't show delivery.

Thank for replying!
I am wrong in asking first class , I should be asking for priority!
I shall wait for it patiently

How long it takes to deliver by regular air service?

Thank for replying!
I am wrong in asking first class , I should be asking for priority!
I shall wait for it patiently

How long it takes to deliver by regular air service?

In my experience it takes the same amount of time as priority, but it just doesn't have tracking. I don't think that you should worry.

I will only mail items overseas by USPS Express Mail International, which costs about $45 depending on the value. It's the only way to get insurance and tracking on international shipments. I also include in my listing that customs duties and VAT are the responsibility of the buyer, and that they can go to the free website dutycalculator dot com to find out the amount. For example, a $500 scarf will cost a buyer in the U.K. about $160 or British Pounds 105. 8% or 9% are not uncommon duty rates.

I will only mail items overseas by USPS Express Mail International, which costs about $45 depending on the value. It's the only way to get insurance and tracking on international shipments. I also include in my listing that customs duties and VAT are the responsibility of the buyer, and that they can go to the free website dutycalculator dot com to find out the amount. For example, a $500 scarf will cost a buyer in the U.K. about $160 or British Pounds 105. 8% or 9% are not uncommon duty rates.

It's not the only way to get insurance. You can always insure with third party insurance providers, like U-pic and Shipsurance. I would never insure with USPS, since I heard that is very difficult to get them to pay for a claim. You can also self insure for lower value items, which would cover the scammers as well.

As for tracking, there are countries in which Priority becomes Express. I just sent a purse Priority to UK (which cost more than $50), and it became Express after entering UK. I even have online signature, so shipping Express to UK it's a waste of money. Unfortunately, there is no information about which countries treat Priority as Express. I also shipped Priority to New Zealand, and I didn't get any tracking once the package reached New Zealand.

And if you want a value for UK duties, you need to take into account the additional 14 GBP that Parcelforce will charge as a processing fee as well (regardless of value), which dutycalculator.com does not show.

I just wanted to say that there are other options for lower value items, because nobody will pay $50-$70 shipping (plus 20% VAT plus duty) for a few hundred dollars item.

It's not the only way to get insurance. You can always insure with third party insurance providers, like U-pic and Shipsurance. I would never insure with USPS, since I heard that is very difficult to get them to pay for a claim. You can also self insure for lower value items, which would cover the scammers as well.

As for tracking, there are countries in which Priority becomes Express. I just sent a purse Priority to UK (which cost more than $50), and it became Express after entering UK. I even have online signature, so shipping Express to UK it's a waste of money. Unfortunately, there is no information about which countries treat Priority as Express. I also shipped Priority to New Zealand, and I didn't get any tracking once the package reached New Zealand.

And if you want a value for UK duties, you need to take into account the additional 14 GBP that Parcelforce will charge as a processing fee as well (regardless of value), which dutycalculator.com does not show.

I just wanted to say that there are other options for lower value items, because nobody will pay $50-$70 shipping (plus 20% VAT plus duty) for a few hundred dollars item.

Yes, USPS is extremely slow when processing insurance claims (45 days from the time they receive the claim) and if the value is over $300 (90 days). And, half the time, they will find an excuse to deny it.

Thanks for replying, I have specifically asked her to ship in flat box and she choose the other way so if it's lost, I'm not liable for it...

To add on there's a LC Xxxxxx number, is that useful?

It's too bad the seller put herself in that position with what she did. Also, you are lucky that you asked her for a refund of the difference and that she gave it to you. Not all sellers do this since some of them add the cost of handling, time and transportation to their shipping cost. So far things are going your way so hopefully you will have the item soon.

Yes, USPS is extremely slow when processing insurance claims (45 days from the time they receive the claim) and if the value is over $300 (90 days). And, half the time, they will find an excuse to deny it.

Completely and unfortunately true. They make it sound so easy and secure to purchase the insurance but will find almost any excuse not to pay it out.

It sounds to me like she got confused with the request for first class flat rate, as with USPS there is first class, then there is priority flat rate. She probably thought you wanted the first class, so went with that and sent the refund for the difference. She probably was trying to accommodate what she thought you wanted, but ended up doing something you didn't want. Sounds like she is trying to work with you, which is really great.

ETA: Tracking and delivery confirmation are available for first class international packages per USPS website. :smile:

Last edited: