is it wrong to ask a seller to hold something for a few days?

Every seller will react differently but there's no harm in asking, as long as you definitely intend to purchase.

I've had buyers in the past ask for something to be held for them and then disappeared off the face of the earth and it's quite frustrating.

In the past, I've asked the seller to hold off on shipping for whatever reason. I may not be home on the expected delivery date, or something like that.

But when doing this, I have always paid for the item first, and then asked them to wait to ship. They've always accommodated me since obviously, I am completing the transaction.

IMHO, I would be annoyed if a buyer asked me to wait for their payment. You get four days to pay so I am obligated to wait that long, but four days is already very generous. Even the most high end department stores won't let shoppers put an item on hold for four days!

I agree with the others - no harm in asking. I'm personally pretty OK with it as long as the buyer asks me before purchasing/contacts me ASAP after auction close.

In the past, I've asked the seller to hold off on shipping for whatever reason. I may not be home on the expected delivery date, or something like that.

But when doing this, I have always paid for the item first, and then asked them to wait to ship. They've always accommodated me since obviously, I am completing the transaction.

IMHO, I would be annoyed if a buyer asked me to wait for their payment. You get four days to pay so I am obligated to wait that long, but four days is already very generous. Even the most high end department stores won't let shoppers put an item on hold for four days!

the item listing isn't over yet, there are still 8 days, and I will be able to pay on friday. Is that what you are talking about? I'm not asking them to hold after I've won the auction or anything,

the item listing isn't over yet, there are still 8 days, and I will be able to pay on friday. Is that what you are talking about? I'm not asking them to hold after I've won the auction or anything,

I was referring to a situation in which you win the item, say on a Monday, and then ask the seller if he/she will wait over a week until the following Tuesday for your payment. IMO, that's not OK.

Also, I used my personal example of winning an auction on a Tuesday, paying for it that same Tuesday, but asking the seller to wait until that Friday to post it. I am OK with this.

So, I guess I am not understanding what it is you're asking if the auction ends in 8 days, and you'd be able to pay upon winning? What is it you would be asking the seller to do for you?

The listing is over in 8 days, and it's a BIN, I'm asking her to hold it until friday when I would pay.
I would never ask someone to hold it after I had already won it! bad! :smile:

The listing is over in 8 days, and it's a BIN, I'm asking her to hold it until friday when I would pay.
I would never ask someone to hold it after I had already won it! bad! :smile:

Ah, I see what you're saying now. I see no harm in asking then.

Now, technically you DO have the option to hit BIN today. Friday would be the third of the four days you have to pay. You could message the seller letting her know that you plan to pay on Friday. She might be frustrated, but per seller contract with eBay, she would have no choice but to wait for payment.

As a seller myself, it may be annoying to wait for payment up to the last minute, but as long as the buyer DOES pay me within the required time frame, I'm cool.

ETA: This method will only work if the seller doesn't require immediate payment.

Now, technically you DO have the option to hit BIN today. Friday would be the third of the four days you have to pay. You could message the seller letting her know that you plan to pay on Friday. She might be frustrated, but per seller contract with eBay, she would have no choice but to wait for payment.

As a seller myself, it may be annoying to wait for payment up to the last minute, but as long as the buyer DOES pay me within the required time frame, I'm cool.

ETA: This method will only work if the seller doesn't require immediate payment.

Yeah, I see what you're saying with that, too. I suppose I could do that, but I would rather have consent from the seller who chooses to hold it for me instead of doing it that way. I am really honest and intend fully to pay, so I don't want them to feel like they're getting ripped off.

I only ever ask if it's on Bonanza. Since things aren't timed or auction style, I feel like it's totally fine. With eBay it's tricky, because the seller might think "well I can get a better price if someone bids, etc." But I agree with everyone who says you might as well ask, the worst they can say is no.

Yeah, I see what you're saying with that, too. I suppose I could do that, but I would rather have consent from the seller who chooses to hold it for me instead of doing it that way. I am really honest and intend fully to pay, so I don't want them to feel like they're getting ripped off.

Well, see what your seller says. You may get lucky!

If the seller is a high volume seller though, hitting BIN today may not hurt--if they have hundreds of listings, they may not even notice you've waited three days to pay.

Good luck!

Unless the seller has IPR (instant payment required), you can BIN and pay on Friday. If she has IPR, she'd need to remove it in order for you to BIN.

I think it's very considerate of you to want to let her know before you buy.

the seller advised me to do BIN and she will wait till friday for payment, however, when I go in and select BIN, it's not going to reserve it to me unless I go through with payment with paypal and says another buyer can buy it?

is this what she was meaning for me to do? am I missing something?

the seller advised me to do BIN and she will wait till friday for payment, however, when I go in and select BIN, it's not going to reserve it to me unless I go through with payment with paypal and says another buyer can buy it?

is this what she was meaning for me to do? am I missing something?

If seller has BIN with immediate payment required, you must pay right away or the item is still for sale.
Ask your seller to remove the immediate payment required.