MBMJ because you can't afford MJ?

Beni

Apr 29, 2010
Hey everyone,

I don't mean to offend anyone but I am just curious because I've recently purchased a bag from MBMJ. Do people think that the reason you buy MBMJ is because you can't afford the more expensive line MJ?

Personally, I really liked the style of that bag but it just occurred to me that some people might judge and think that way. Also, does the fact that MBMJ bags are made in China or Indonesia makes it "inferior" to the main line that is made in Italy?

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm sure some people think that. Some people also believe the world will end soon and that Beyonce can sing, so, you know, whatever.

Anyone who pays attention to MJ enough to know where the bags are made, will also likely realize that collection bags have practically zero resale value compared to MBMJ. I paid more for a first season MBMJ Natasha that retailed for $438 than I did for a current season collection python Venetia that retailed for nearly $3k.

So, buy what you like. (Unless you like this. Don't buy that. It's hideous.) People don't pay as much attention to where a bag is made or what line it's from as we would sometimes like to think they do. The leather quality can be different, sure, but both lines have flaws.

funnily ironic: an hr ago i was debating which mbmj bag i should buy for times i dont want to carry mj.
for me, i like mr jacobs, so either line is fine with me. both have good points, both have flaws, like everything else.
if it would bother you to carry mbmj, dont buy one. 2 mbmj's equal one mj. :smile:
buy what makes YOU smile when you look at it.

I definitely don't think that but I'm sure folks do and I don't care. I've owned a total of four MBMJ bags and currently have just the one - a 2009 tan Groovee bag in the classic size which I love so much right now that I don't think I will ever part with it!

I've owned two Baby Aidan's - Dirty Martini and Creme, and a Natasha in Blush. I adored them all and in a perfect world I would still have them, but they were all sold in favour of another bag so therefore I have no regrets.

I can honestly say that I have never taken an ounce of interest in MJ bags because they just don't have any in the styles I go for. I love casual, slouchy bags with amazing leather. Structured and bags with loads of gold hardware just don't appeal to me. I guess the MJ Stam is quite nice but then I've never really gone in for the quilted look and if I was going to shell out a grand on a bag then I'd buy myself another Balenciaga or a Chloé Paraty, the kinda bags that really are me.

So I agree that you should just buy the bags you want! My Balenciaga and my Chloé are my high end bags and then I have my Groovee and my Mulberry Mitzy Messenger. I don't care how much they cost, I just love them all because they're so me!

This question was posed a while ago in another thread, when someone insulted an MBMJ carrier saying that MBMJ was for "poor people". I posted a long answer as to why I prefer MBMJ, because of style, price-point, not having to sell a bag in order to buy a new one, etc. If a young woman thinks that poor people carry $538 bags (let alone a $198 one) she lacks several qualities that would make anyone care what she has to say about anything :smile:

For me, bottom line is that I love MBMJ and I am able to have a wide range of color choices. If I want to talk about $$$, I can add up the retail price of all my bags and the total is just under $3700, so I can afford more than one MJ - I just don't want one :smile:

I don't really see why someone would look at my bag and think "oh, she's only carrying that bc she can't afford a better one", it just seems petty. They won't know that I can carry a different one 9 days in a row if I want to (this number will continue to grow, lol), and it's hard to do that with an MJ, unless of course you're Nascar Fan :smile:

P.S. My dad rec'd my new Rock Lobster Lil Ukita and sent me a pic. (I'm abroad and won't see it until late March) I lovvve the color! Now I have my eye on a Faded Aluminum Hillier :smile:

It's all about perspective to me. If a $200-$450 bag is considered cheap, then I'll be happy that I am in a position where I can afford a "cheap" bag because for most people that is an expensive. People need to work on their privilege and stop being snobs.

I love MBMJ and MJ, and I'm stalking a few bags that will hopefully go on sale :love: hellloooo hillier in apricot rose!

This question was posed a while ago in another thread, when someone insulted an MBMJ carrier saying that MBMJ was for "poor people". I posted a long answer as to why I prefer MBMJ, because of style, price-point, not having to sell a bag in order to buy a new one, etc. If a young woman thinks that poor people carry $538 bags (let alone a $198 one) she lacks several qualities that would make anyone care what she has to say about anything :smile:

For me, bottom line is that I love MBMJ and I am able to have a wide range of color choices. If I want to talk about $$$, I can add up the retail price of all my bags and the total is just under $3700, so I can afford more than one MJ - I just don't want one :smile:

I don't really see why someone would look at my bag and think "oh, she's only carrying that bc she can't afford a better one", it just seems petty. They won't know that I can carry a different one 9 days in a row if I want to (this number will continue to grow, lol), and it's hard to do that with an MJ, unless of course you're Nascar Fan :smile:

P.S. My dad rec'd my new Rock Lobster Lil Ukita and sent me a pic. (I'm abroad and won't see it until late March) I lovvve the color! Now I have my eye on a Faded Aluminum Hillier :smile:

Very very very well said!!!!!
Can't wait to see the new lobster bag. :woohoo:

(as for me, i have about 20+ yrs on most of the ladies here, no kiddos at home to spend money on. Plus, my CC bill is out the wazoo. I charged more than I care to admit. ;))

OP, really, don't think twice about anyone but yourself. Do what makes you happy.

:flowers:

For me it's more about style than price. To be honest, none of the MJ styles fit my personal preferences. Neither do Chanel or LV or Chloe, but god forbid someone consider me poor to have never owned one!

I hv lv, miu miu, balenciaga etc so I wun say tt I can't afford MJ but it's a matter of choice.. MbMJ bags really appeal to me in terms of style, colors, price point.. I still take the subway so carrying a 1-2k bag in a crowded train seems dumb to me..

I like some MJ little crossbodies, but, even if the prices were the same, I'd still mainly buy MbMJ. Like redskynight said, I think the styles are younger and more suited to me. Plus, sooo many pretty colors.

It's all about perspective to me. If a $200-$450 bag is considered cheap, then I'll be happy that I am in a position where I can afford a "cheap" bag because for most people that is an expensive. People need to work on their privilege and stop being snobs.

I love MBMJ and MJ, and I'm stalking a few bags that will hopefully go on sale :love: hellloooo hillier in apricot rose!

+1 ::applaud::

I don't like any MJ collection bags. Even if I was going to spend that much money on a bag, I wouldn't buy any of those. MBMJ is completely different in my opinion, and much younger looking. Since I'm young, I don't really want to be carrying around an older looking bag (no offense MJ lovers, but I'm sure you understand).

If people think that you're 'too poor' for having MBMJ instead of MJ, is everyone too poor that doesn't carry Hermes? No, of course not. So where are we drawing the line here?