Travel What do you think about cruises now?

Aug 14, 2009
I just saw this article and thought I'd share it

As Henry Blodget states on Thursday's Daily Ticker covering the merger of U.S. Airways and American Airlines, "Everybody hates flying." And, yes, commercial flight -- with its frequent delays, security line indignities, cramped spaces and rubbery food offerings, to name just a few -- can be a rather unpleasant experience.
But flying isn't looking so bad these days compared with cruising, at least not when you consider the latest disaster brought to you by Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL).
Since Sunday, Feb. 10, when a fire on board damaged the propulsion system of the ironically named ship Triumph, the planned four-day voyage to the Caribbean has turned instead into a nightmare of Dante-esqe proportions. With the ship unable to sail and lacking power, sewage systems, air conditioning and heating, the 3,142 passengers and 1,086 crew members aboard have been stranded in the Gulf of Mexico -- hungry, sickened and, according to reports, reduced to defecating in plastic bags and urinating in showers. The New York Times describes an almost "Lord of the Flies"-like quest for survival, complete with food hoarding and wine-bottle stealing amid increasingly frayed nerves and a revolting stench.
The on-board horror may come to an end late Thursday, as three tugboats have been pulling the 900-foot boat toward shore in Mobile, Ala. But even that's turned into a disaster -- the tow line broke, delaying the ship's arrival in port. As of now, Carnival has made the move of canceling a dozen planned cruises aboard Triumph, which the company admits had suffered other mechanical problems in the weeks before the fire.

Read more at http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/carnival-triumph-anything-215218023.html

I just took my first cruise (on Carnival) last summer and I know quite a few people on TPF love cruises. I thought it'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions in light of all the cruise incidents lately. Have they changed your outlook on cruising? Would you just stay away from certain companies, ships or sizes? Do you think the media is making it out to be more than it is? Mods feel free to move this to "up to the minute" if you need.

I've never liked the concept of cruising, although I had a blast on the one cruise I've been on, which was coincidentally on Carnival. I prefer land vacations though, and always pick those over cruises. These incidents don't make me any more weary of cruising though. $hit happens. It comes with the territory, just one of the reasons I don't like cruising. Being in a confined space with the same people and no escape for a week isnt an ideal situation for me. The media definitely overhypes these incidents though IMO. It totally sucks, but it is what it is. Things break, people get stranded at airports for a week, etc. It's not like the world is ending.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would deny that this is a dreadful situation, and hopefully all cruise lines will reconsider continuing to sail if they have had mechanical issues in the past. But I'd sure rather be on a ship with mechanical problems than a plane in the air with mechanical problems. One is disgusting and miserable and may leave you dehydrated and hungry and sick, but the other will likely leave you quite dead.

Whereas I don't generally favour cruises, as I enjoy spending more time in my actual destination, I do enjoy cruising now and then, and this situation wouldn't deter me. But I don't sail Carnival and never have.

I had a good cruise to Alaska on Princess, but on a smaller ship (1500 passengers). Had a bad cruise on NCL. No disasters but just generally poorly run. Cruising no longer interests me due to the chance of norovirus spreading--I've had noro and never want to experience it again.

I feel safer on a plane, but the airport hasssles are a mess.

I booked a cruise with Royal Carribean in end of August this year. I'm very excited to go and hope this nightmare won't happen to me especially when this is my first cruise experience.

I have never really warmed to the idea....and given the incidents of illness, not to even mention the Italian fiasco, I'll continue to pass.

I guess it's just not for me. The idea of a romantic transatlantic passage is vaguely appealing - but not in today's cost cutting environment.

I Will be sailing on carnival at the end of march on my 7th cruise. I'm not too concerned. Things happen. I've been through enough - not to that magnitude - but trapped on a RCCI ship when a storm and fatal accident occurred in the Miss. Delta. I also was on a boat in Jamaica that smashed into a rock and had to do not change in the middle of the sea - horrible. There was no way carnival could have done that as the media suggested. I think cruising is a blast under the right conditions - short trip, lots of rowdy friends. i don't have a desire to do it with just DH again except to Alaska.

I Will be sailing on carnival at the end of march on my 7th cruise. I'm not too concerned. Things happen. I've been through enough - not to that magnitude - but trapped on a RCCI ship when a storm and fatal accident occurred in the Miss. Delta. I also was on a boat in Jamaica that smashed into a rock and had to do not change in the middle of the sea - horrible. There was no way carnival could have done that as the media suggested. I think cruising is a blast under the right conditions - short trip, lots of rowdy friends. i don't have a desire to do it with just DH again except to Alaska.

I went on a cruise with girlfriends last summer and it was so much fun. It was carnival and I'm not sure I would go with them again, but it was cheap so hard to pass it up.

As for cruising in general, I hate to say it, but some of these incidents have made me a bit wary for future travel. Normally stuff like this wouldn't effect me but for some reason it has. I am not a big fan of the massive cruises in general though so I don't see myself doing them again except for random trips.

Never been interested in taking one quite frankly. None of these ships is registered in the US - they do not have strict guidelines and regulations they would have if registered here. That together with the fact that being trapped at sea with 3000 people (and many of them drunk) just does not appeal to me! :lol:

I've gone on several cruises, but haven't gone in the past 5 years. I've never gone on Carnival though. My parents went on one for a few days about 2 years ago and there were no problems then. I had so much fun on all of them and would definitely go again, but probably not on Carnival.

Never been interested in taking one quite frankly. None of these ships is registered in the US - they do not have strict guidelines and regulations they would have if registered here. That together with the fact that being trapped at sea with 3000 people (and many of them drunk) just does not appeal to me! :lol:

I never knew this until I watched a documentary about the cruise industry. While I'm not anti cruise it still made me a little hesitant to ever take one again.

I went on a cruise with girlfriends last summer and it was so much fun. It was carnival and I'm not sure I would go with them again, but it was cheap so hard to pass it up.

As for cruising in general, I hate to say it, but some of these incidents have made me a bit wary for future travel. Normally stuff like this wouldn't effect me but for some reason it has. I am not a big fan of the massive cruises in general though so I don't see myself doing them again except for random trips.

I don't care for the big ships either. We went on the Oasis of the Seas last year because it was a group cruise (Carolina Panthers fan cruise and we liked the players who were on board) I hated the ship!

DH and I are chartering a sailboat next year with 3 other couples - british virgin islands (or Greek Isles if possible though it may be difficult). Noe that is my kind of cruising! I really need to brush up on my scuba diving skills!!!! I think it will be a once in lifetime experience (hopefully for the good)

I never knew this until I watched a documentary about the cruise industry. While I'm not anti cruise it still made me a little hesitant to ever take one again.

Do you remember what it was called? I'd be interested in watching it!

I've only ever cruised once, and I had a really hard time reconciling the crappy treatment and pay of the cruise crew with the luxury image of the vacation... but it is a good way to see a bunch of places at once. I'll probably cruise again sometime, but plan tons of tips into my budget to make me feel a bit better (for the record, I did tip fairly generously last time, but I didn't feel like it was enough).

I saw a similar documentary about the industry. I'm going on my first cruise next weekend pretty nervous after hearing some of the news reports , but I'm trying not to think what could go wrong!