Package Sitting at Canadian Customs, Help!

I bought an American made guitar from an American in America for $300 US. I paid on Mon. April 16th 2012, it got to San Francisco by the 18th April and is apparently been at Canada Customs "to be reviewed" since 13:25 today. So far so good. How much will I have to pay, and who do I pay it to, and how long will Canada Customs hold this guitar? Will Canada Customs rip open the excellent packing from my seller to inspect it for sure? I don't like that idea, but...??? What if the seller has done this numerous other times without a problem or delay? After all, it is via eBay, PayPal and an eBay member. I just realize this web site relates to purses, just pretend it's a purse then please. Why the bullfeces when trying to buy a guitar from the USA in Canada? I just hope Canada Customs do NOT decide to randomly check my guitar out while the box full of bad ecstacy pills gets through. It'd be par for the course if it does. I just don't want to go "POSTAL" on Canada Customs because I'll loose my mind, new guitar and FREEDOM. Thanks for any helpful replies.

Last edited:
I bought an American made guitar from an American in America for $300 US. I paid on Mon. April 16th 2012, it got to San Francisco by the 18th April and is apparently been at Canada Customs "to be reviewed" since 13:25 today. So far so good. How much will I have to pay, and who do I pay it to, and how long will Canada Customs hold this guitar? Will Canada Customs rip open the excellent packing from my seller to inspect it for sure? I don't like that idea, but...??? What if the seller has done this numerous other times without a problem or delay? After all, it is via eBay, PayPal and an eBay member. I just realize this web site relates to purses, just pretend it's a purse then please. Why the bullfeces when trying to buy a guitar from the USA in Canada? I just hope Canada Customs do NOT decide to randomly check my guitar out while the box full of bad ecstacy pills gets through. It'd be par for the course if it does. I just don't want to go "POSTAL" on Canada Customs because I'll loose my mind, new guitar and FREEDOM. Thanks for any helpful replies.
Packages shipped from US to Canada seem to get there much more slowly than to the rest of the world but in this case, it's just 2 days after the package left San Francisco.

If it only arrived in customs this afternoon, you are getting yourself all worked up unnecessarily way too soon. The package released tomorrow, or if they don't work weekends, it might sit till Monday. But even if it takes a few days to get through customs, having arrived there today and still being reviewed makes you sound rather impatient.

Please don't ding the seller's speed of shipping because of Canadian customs. It'll get to you and will be fine.

I have been waiting for a small pkg for quite a while now. It left USPS custody 9 days ago and Canada Post CANNOT track it, nor can Customs.

The reason? The US tracking number starts with an "L".
Apparently any package or letter with a USPS tracking number starting witlh an L cannot be traced once it comes into Canada as Canada Post does not offer this service for these tracking numbers.

I was told that I simply have to sit and wait...and wait...and wait, hoping it'll show up sooner rather than later.

I shipped a bag USPS Priority Intl to BC on 6/24, its last scan was on 6/25 at the local sorting center and it hasn't been updated since then. The USPS told me that it probably missed its scan at the ISC and is sitting in Canadian customs but of course you can't see anything like that in tracking. I just opened an inquiry today and they said that would take 24 days to complete and that it might not tell me anything! USPS folks have basically been telling me that sometimes it takes international packages a long time and that I should just relax but my buyer is very anxious about it.

Is there any way to contact Canadian customs directly and see if they have something in their possession?

I have been waiting for a small pkg for quite a while now. It left USPS custody 9 days ago and Canada Post CANNOT track it, nor can Customs.

The reason? The US tracking number starts with an "L".
Apparently any package or letter with a USPS tracking number starting witlh an L cannot be traced once it comes into Canada as Canada Post does not offer this service for these tracking numbers.

I was told that I simply have to sit and wait...and wait...and wait, hoping it'll show up sooner rather than later.

I believe tracking numbers that start with an "L" are first class international and the tracking is limited. (unlike EMS which can be tracked end-to-end on both usps and canadapost websites). From what I have seen, you get limited US tracking only on the "L's".

I have been waiting for a delivery from the US for longer than normal time as well. I'm in Ontario and the package tracked from Idaho to Los Angeles(?). So it is getting quite the tour. Wish I could go along. And yes, you are right, all you can do is sit and wait.

I have been waiting for a delivery from the US for longer than normal time as well. I'm in Ontario and the package tracked from Idaho to Los Angeles(?). So it is getting quite the tour. Wish I could go along. And yes, you are right, all you can do is sit and wait.

All international packages have to go through the international sorting center. All of mine go through Los Angeles.

I shipped a bag USPS Priority Intl to BC on 6/24, its last scan was on 6/25 at the local sorting center and it hasn't been updated since then. The USPS told me that it probably missed its scan at the ISC and is sitting in Canadian customs but of course you can't see anything like that in tracking. I just opened an inquiry today and they said that would take 24 days to complete and that it might not tell me anything! USPS folks have basically been telling me that sometimes it takes international packages a long time and that I should just relax but my buyer is very anxious about it.

Is there any way to contact Canadian customs directly and see if they have something in their possession?

Are your dates correct? June 24/25 was a long time ago. Maybe Jan 24/25?

All international packages have to go through the international sorting center. All of mine go through Los Angeles.

Yes, it must be determined by the originating destination. I order a lot of things from the eastern states and they all go through NYC and end up here quite quickly. I wouldn't have thought Idaho's ISC was Los Angeles but I'm not a shipping expert.

I believe tracking numbers that start with an "L" are first class international and the tracking is limited. (unlike EMS which can be tracked end-to-end on both usps and canadapost websites). From what I have seen, you get limited US tracking only on the "L's".

Are there backlogs there? I sent an UPS express shipment that was scheduled to be delivered yesterday but it seams it is a hot potato. The tracking is gone crazy (from clearance completed to pending clearance, then in transit for delivery to held at warehouse for review,...). Now UPS says they show that the customs has released the package but the online tracking only shows that it's still pending clearance/they could not resolve the issue. :shucks:

Yes, it must be determined by the originating destination. I order a lot of things from the eastern states and they all go through NYC and end up here quite quickly. I wouldn't have thought Idaho's ISC was Los Angeles but I'm not a shipping expert.

Idaho is a western state. :P The panhandle borders Washington state (where I live) and all of our packages go through L.A. so it makes sense to me.

Somebody said Monday was a Canadian holiday so maybe there's a backlog from that.

Supposedly, with the huge postal increases in January, part of the price increase was intended to pay for tracking for first class, FRE and SFRB. (Previously, those services weren't trackable.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working properly and there's been discussion about it on the clothing (ebay) board. I'm sure there's probably chatter on the shipping boards too but I don't read there.