Seller miscalculated shipping

MrsBradley

Aug 8, 2011
I bid and won an item. As I snipped as usual, I did not noticed the very low shipping before hitting the “Pay now” button. I paid and send a note to seller letting him/her know that I’ll pay the difference for shipping and please let me know if that is OK. It was 4 days ago, I have not heard from the seller, there is no shipping update and the seller was just slapped with a Negative for similar situation I’m in.
Any word of advice? Should I open some claim, get my money back and start haunting eBay for the same item again? Or just hope for a miracle?

Perhaps try contacting your seller again ..

The seller has a certain amount of days to ship... give it another day or so
If the seller hasn't contacted you by the weekend with shipping info
(many sellers will ship on Sat) than I would file an INR..but you have to
wait a certain amount of time before your can file the INR...

Can you still file a non performing seller??

Did you see the seller's feedback before you bid on the item??

I bid and won an item. As I snipped as usual, I did not noticed the very low shipping before hitting the “Pay now” button. I paid and send a note to seller letting him/her know that I’ll pay the difference for shipping and please let me know if that is OK. It was 4 days ago, I have not heard from the seller, there is no shipping update and the seller was just slapped with a Negative for similar situation I’m in.
Any word of advice? Should I open some claim, get my money back and start haunting eBay for the same item again? Or just hope for a miracle?
It isn't your problem if the seller miscalculated or put in the wrong shipping quote. That was rather generous of you to do that.

Some sellers have an inordinately long handling time, but the fact that the seller received a neg for a similar situation doesn't sound promising. You can open up an 'item not received' case 7 days after payment. You can also look at the 'estimated delivery date' time frames on the listing. If it is past that period, you can file INR, too.

It isn't your problem if the seller miscalculated or put in the wrong shipping quote. That was rather generous of you to do that.

Some sellers have an inordinately long handling time, but the fact that the seller received a neg for a similar situation doesn't sound promising. You can open up an 'item not received' case 7 days after payment. You can also look at the 'estimated delivery date' time frames on the listing. If it is past that period, you can file INR, too.

Unfortunately the estimated delivery reads: “Estimated delivery time varies for items shipped from an international location”. And the seller has 4 business days handling time.

I’m not that generous but stuff happens. I see that the seller had 12 listings, 9 sold with the same ridiculously low shipping. I have no idea how someone who sells 30 items per year will handle 9 negatives. Anyway, not my problem. I just want my item and I offered a solution. If it does not work, I'll try to find the same thing again.

Well, hopefully your seller will have the courtesy to respond to you
oherwise you know what you have to do.

Good luck... maybe you will be pleasantly surprised..

So, 4 days ago was Sunday, so the seller should be shipping today of it is within US. Handling time in the listing is for domestic shipment. Even though, some use it for all. I think you are worrying prematurely.

Perhaps try contacting your seller again ..

The seller has a certain amount of days to ship... give it another day or so
If the seller hasn't contacted you by the weekend with shipping info
(many sellers will ship on Sat) than I would file an INR..but you have to
wait a certain amount of time before your can file the INR...

Can you still file a non performing seller??

Did you see the seller's feedback before you bid on the item??

If she doesn't ship, it wouldn't be NPS but INR that you'd file. But give it a bit of time. Remember you have 45 days to file a dispute so time isn't of the essence at this point.

ETA: As for miscalculating the shipping price, it really isn't your problem and she can't make you pay. The fact that you offered is nice but unnecessary and hopefully, she'll proofread her listings before posting them next time.

If she doesn't ship, it wouldn't be NPS but INR that you'd file. But give it a bit of time. Remember you have 45 days to file a dispute so time isn't of the essence at this point.

ETA: As for miscalculating the shipping price, it really isn't your problem and she can't make you pay. The fact that you offered is nice but unnecessary and hopefully, she'll proofread her listings before posting them next time.

A buyer pays for her item promptly in this case... She has no communication
so far from the seller with regard to shipping her item..
Seller has a certain amount of time to ship ( 4 days or 7 days is this correct?)

Why should a buyer wait 45 days to file an INR or 45 days to wait to
get their money back?? Just on principle alone with no communication I
would not want to wait any more that I had to

If the buyer can't file a NPS (does ebay still allow a buyer to file
a non performing seller charge/complaint?)

I would wait a reasonable amount of time & then I would file an INR
& for me that would be 2 weeks...if this is an international transaction
then perhaps a little longer but certainly not 45 days..

Under these circumstances & with the seller's feedback, I would
light a fire under the seller's butt to get some acknowledgement here...
But that's just me...

The extra shipping was a courtesy from the buyer which she did not
have to do.. The seller should assume responsibility for her miscalculation..

Last edited:
A buyer pays for her item promptly... She has no communication
so far from the seller with regard to shipping her item..
Seller has a certain amount of time to ship ( 7 days is this correct?)

Why should a buyer wait 45 days to file an INR or 45 days to wait to
get their money back??

If the buyer can't file a NPS (does ebay still allow a buyer to file
a non performing seller charge/complaint?)

I would wait a reasonable amount of time & then I would file an INR
& for me that would be 2 weeks...

Under these circumstances & with the seller's feedback, I would
light a fire under the seller's butt to get some acknowledgement here...

I'm not saying she has to wait 45 days to file INR. I'm just pointing out the she has plenty of time and at this point, it's only been 3-4 days.

I don't know whether they still have NPS. But when the buyer has paid and the item doesn't get to the buyer, the dispute would be INR. IMO, that's the easier dispute for a buyer to win.

Since ebay is often inconsistent with its policies and each customer service rep has their own interpretation of the policy, often, you'll get an explanation of "we can't force the seller to sell" and they don't ding the seller's account. However if the buyer wins INR, the seller will be dinged.

At this point though, it's premature to worry about disputes to file. It's way too early. Ebay's seller protection gives the seller 7 days to ship and it hasn't been that long.

I'm not saying she has to wait 45 days to file INR. I'm just pointing out the she has plenty of time and at this point, it's only been 3-4 days.

I don't know whether they still have NPS. But when the buyer has paid and the item doesn't get to the buyer, the dispute would be INR. IMO, that's the easier dispute for a buyer to win.

Since ebay is often inconsistent with its policies and each customer service rep has their own interpretation of the policy, often, you'll get an explanation of "we can't force the seller to sell" and they don't ding the seller's account. However if the buyer wins INR, the seller will be dinged.

At this point though, it's premature to worry about disputes to file. It's way too early. Ebay's seller protection gives the seller 7 days to ship and it hasn't been that long.

Yes, there does seem to be many inconsistencies with ebay's policies and
while ebay can't force a seller to ship an item, it should be noted
on a seller's record. Sellers complain here constantly on the forum
that buyers don't pay after a BIN, BO or after an auction has ended.
Many buyers take their sweet time in paying & come up with all kinds
of excuses & sellers are subjected to filing & waiting to get their final
fees back.Here the buyer has paid promptly & the seller isn't responding.
Which isn't even professional.

If this is not an international transaction & OP doesn't get her item
or hear back from the seller, I would not hesitate in filing an INR
promptly at the end of next week....that is more than the allotted time
& the seller does deserve a ding , IMO...and the buyer should get her money back promptly..

Last edited:
As of to low shipping charges, some sellers made it this way instead of give free shipping. I think I read in here a seller wrote that her star is higher for shipping and handling when she lower the shipping charges, instead of give free shipping. Her thought was that her customers feels she is generous in lower the actual cost if shipping, while if give free shipping, customer think that she put the price of the item higher to cover the "free" shipping.
And I absolutely agree, way to early too file claim of anything especially non performing seller.
So OP I think you should not worry about the too low shipping charges, it is not your problem.

Last edited:
Yes, there does seem to be many inconsistencies with ebay's policies and
while ebay can't force a seller to ship an item, it should be noted
on a seller's record.

If this is not an international transaction & OP doesn't get her item
or hear back from the seller, I would not hesitate in filing an INR
promptly at the end of next week....that is more than the allotted time
& the seller does deserve a ding , IMO...and the buyer should get her money back promptly..
a
However, how many more buyer's

I am sure OP knows what to do if no item or no tracking or no communication within 7 days.