HELP! Chanel costume jewelry issue!

BeeBee03

Oct 16, 2007
Hi Ladies,

I need the input of anyone who owns any Chanel costume jewelry pieces particularly necklaces. I recently sold a necklace from my own personal collection on ebay... the piece was purchased from Neiman's in 2008 and has the Authenticity stamp on the clasp. I never had any issues with it... obviously since it is a costume jewelry piece it is composed of metal which naturally tarnishes unlike gold, silver, or platinum. The buyer just messaged me saying she tried cleaning it with an alcohol solution and the authenticity stamp on the clasp disappeared! :confused1:

I know you are never supposed to used alcohol or acid based chemicals on costume jewelry (which is why I never did it) but now she is doubting the authenticity of my necklace. I don't know if she is trying to pull a fast one on me or if this really does happen to Chanel's costume jewelry?

Help please!

TIA!

Did she send pictures? If so can you post them? And if not I'd definitely ask for some... I just took a look at one of my necklaces and the stamp is embedded or pressed in to the metal...in other words no amount of cleaning with any product could make it "disappear"....what did your necklace look like?

Did she send pictures? If so can you post them? And if not I'd definitely ask for some... I just took a look at one of my necklaces and the stamp is embedded or pressed in to the metal...in other words no amount of cleaning with any product could make it "disappear"....what did your necklace look like?

She did not send me any pictures but she said she plans on going to the boutique to authenticate it tomorrow and I told her to go ahead for her own peace of mind.
xxxxxx members cannot post their own auctions here or reveal their eBay ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Chanel used to allow Customer to bring it back and get it stick back but then, it seems to stop allowing such service.

Yes, can always bring to the Chanel store for verification. Do you still have the other stamp on it? Never use alcohol on CJ!

You shouldn't refund here anyway, she's gone and rubbed the necklace with a solution. Off topic - I find it really frustrating for eBayer's to purchase items and then turn around saying they doubt the authenticity.

You shouldn't refund here anyway, she's gone and rubbed the necklace with a solution. Off topic - I find it really frustrating for eBayer's to purchase items and then turn around saying they doubt the authenticity.

Agreed -- if she doubted the authenticity, she should have brought it to the boutique (or had it authenticated somewhere) before she did anything to it, not after. Once you buy it and "treat" it with something, it's yours.... I have to wonder if this buyer is trying to pull a fast one, and will send you back a different necklace than the one you actually sold her.

+1 - and I'd post this on the e-bay forum and see what you can do. I hope your messages are through the e-bay system so they can see that she admitted to wiping it with an alcohol solution.

+1 - and I'd post this on the e-bay forum and see what you can do. I hope your messages are through the e-bay system so they can see that she admitted to wiping it with an alcohol solution.

+2 and also agree about posting on the ebay forum and about having changed the item by wiping with alcohol.