Help with Swatch Photos Needed!

Bunny1212

Mar 19, 2012
Hi Everyone, I've been reading the posts here for quite a bit, but only found the courage to start posting a short while ago. I'd love to post pictures of my nail swatches but my pics look awful. Totally out of focus, blurry, etc. I also find that most of the color don't look at all like the colors in real life. If anyone (especially you, Ferret Kingdom - Goddess of Swatches) can help, I would so very much appreciate it!

Hi Everyone, I've been reading the posts here for quite a bit, but only found the courage to start posting a short while ago. I'd love to post pictures of my nail swatches but my pics look awful. Totally out of focus, blurry, etc. I also find that most of the color don't look at all like the colors in real life. If anyone (especially you, Ferret Kingdom - Goddess of Swatches) can help, I would so very much appreciate it!

Maybe you could send a PM to someone incase they don't see the thread. My only photography tip, if you are using a good phone camera, is to not take pictures too close up. I've never actually used my good camera for swatches so I don't have any experience with that.

Also - it is very difficult to get the colour to look right! I wouldn't worry too much about that. I just like to see pictures! Although non-blurry ones are best hehe :biggrin:

What are you using - a phone or camera, and what kind?

I prefer outside natural light myself. And alot of people actually do worry about trying to get the color true to life, because people use pictures here to shop from. So if you aren't gonna go for accurate color at least state it isn't in your post so people will know (a description of how you think it really looks is helpful).

First, a big thank you for stopping by and helping!

Maybe you could send a PM to someone incase they don't see the thread. My only photography tip, if you are using a good phone camera, is to not take pictures too close up. I've never actually used my good camera for swatches so I don't have any experience with that.

Also - it is very difficult to get the colour to look right! I wouldn't worry too much about that. I just like to see pictures! Although non-blurry ones are best hehe :biggrin:

I tried using my iPhone, but I seem to be a two handed shooter. I just can't focus and snap with only one hand. :shame:

I also tried with my iPad, but that was literally impossible. Talk about a balancing act! That's why I tried shooting with my iPhone: photo stream transfers picture to the ipad so that I can use the purseforum app.

What are you using - a phone or camera, and what kind?

I prefer outside natural light myself. And alot of people actually do worry about trying to get the color true to life, because people use pictures here to shop from. So if you aren't gonna go for accurate color at least state it isn't in your post so people will know (a description of how you think it really looks is helpful).

I've also tried using my old point and shoot while standing by the window. I get good north light in my apartment. It's just too cold to go out and stand in the street trying to take a picture of one hand. And embarassing too, on a busy NYC street. :P

I am trying, though, and I see some improvement the more times I try to do it.

I would say lighting is really the key if you want clear and colour accurate photos. I used to take all of my photos in natural light or outside, especially when I used my digital camera. Now, I only use my iPhone 5 to take photos and I discovered this little LED lamp which makes all of my photos spot on colour wise, it's great. I still take photos outside if I can, but lately I have been painting my nails in the evening, so it helps to have a good light to take photos whenever I want.

You can see my photos on my Instagram page if you want, but basically I'd say lighting is everything. Also, if you can't hold the phone / camera steady enough, it will also help to rest your wrist on something while focussing the camera, or even placing the phone / camera on something instead of holding it. Hope that helps. :smile:

I would say lighting is really the key if you want clear and colour accurate photos. I used to take all of my photos in natural light or outside, especially when I used my digital camera. Now, I only use my iPhone 5 to take photos and I discovered this little LED lamp which makes all of my photos spot on colour wise, it's great. I still take photos outside if I can, but lately I have been painting my nails in the evening, so it helps to have a good light to take photos whenever I want.

You can see my photos on my Instagram page if you want, but basically I'd say lighting is everything. Also, if you can't hold the phone / camera steady enough, it will also help to rest your wrist on something while focussing the camera, or even placing the phone / camera on something instead of holding it. Hope that helps. :smile:

Thanks! I will definitely prop my hand up on something steady. I should have thought of that, duh.

What little LED lamp are you using? Where can I find it? It's so cold outside, my hand turns red which makes me look as if I have some weird disease. Indoors for me until the weather warms up!

Thanks! I will definitely prop my hand up on something steady. I should have thought of that, duh.

What little LED lamp are you using? Where can I find it? It's so cold outside, my hand turns red which makes me look as if I have some weird disease. Indoors for me until the weather warms up!

It's very similar to this, but black: http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Ott-Lite-TrueColor-Portable-Lamp/2917614/product.html

Mine are a few years old, and if I can remember I think they were bought at Michael's. It seems like this might be the newer model: http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/ottlite-717g53-13-watt-desk-lamp-in-black-p-30944.html

Sometimes, I will actually place my iPhone sideways on the top of the light (the part that folds out) so my hands are free, and rest my hand on the table to take the photo. It works well, and there is no chance that the photo will be blurry. :smile:

It's very similar to this, but black: http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Ott-Lite-TrueColor-Portable-Lamp/2917614/product.html

Mine are a few years old, and if I can remember I think they were bought at Michael's. It seems like this might be the newer model: http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/ottlite-717g53-13-watt-desk-lamp-in-black-p-30944.html

Sometimes, I will actually place my iPhone sideways on the top of the light (the part that folds out) so my hands are free, and rest my hand on the table to take the photo. It works well, and there is no chance that the photo will be blurry. :smile:

I have an Ott lite! I use it for matching threads for my needlepoint. I will have to try taking a photo with it. But mine has a fluorescent bulb, it's not LED.

Oooh i need that ! My little LED light just makes me mad. Itll turn off in the middle of a mani all rude like lol

I have an Ott lite! I use it for matching threads for my needlepoint. I will have to try taking a photo with it. But mine has a fluorescent bulb, it's not LED.

Oooh i need that ! My little LED light just makes me mad. Itll turn off in the middle of a mani all rude like lol

I think my mother originally bought them for her knitting, but I've stolen one from her because they are great! :P