Courtenay short strap blocks zipper when carried crossbody, any solution? return it?

smileglu

O.G.
May 2, 2007
So I was so in love with the the Courtenay when I received her (last PCE). I thought that this will be one of my Coach classic bag because it is so versatile and design so timeless that I will never part with it.

I haven't used it yet and tag is still on. I was trying it on again today crossbody and I notice that the short strap falls just right on top of the zipper that I would constantly have to move or position this strap away to open the zipper. I'm already finding this annoying just trying it on.

For Courtenay owners, are there some way around this or does this get better with use (short strap softening?)?

I'm considering returning it but my heart is not in it since I love the design so much. What do you think?

I love it but will probably never use the long strap, no problems using it with the short strap only. I prefer not to buckle the short strap though for a little longer drop & no "loops" - not sure how doing that would change the crossbody experience - here's a picture - I want to get the belt loop things unhooked so I can pull them down instead of using yarn to hold the straps down, but I'm scared to do it, might not work, plus I couldn't figure out how lol.

Attachments

• image-1651234668.jpg
    image-1651234668.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 438
I love it but will probably never use the long strap, no problems using it with the short strap only. I prefer not to buckle the short strap though for a little longer drop & no "loops" - not sure how doing that would change the crossbody experience - here's a picture - I want to get the belt loop things unhooked so I can pull them down instead of using yarn to hold the straps down, but I'm scared to do it, might not work, plus I couldn't figure out how lol.

I stayed away from the courtney for the same reason, the short strap getting in the way. Can you tell me what you did here to make the shorter strap alittle longer. Thanks Im just not getting what you did and I dont have one to play around with. TIA

coachdon said:
I stayed away from the courtney for the same reason, the short strap getting in the way. Can you tell me what you did here to make the shorter strap alittle longer. Thanks Im just not getting what you did and I dont have one to play around with. TIA

I unbuckled both sides (where you can unbuckle and select a different hole - but I don't pick a hole I just pull the strap as far as I can) -- so the buckles are useless and unused but they don't get in my way, I think it looks better too....except for my sloppy yarn ties, I really wanna know if cutting loose the belt loop things would work to hold them down so I wouldn't need those, then It would be perfect!

I unbuckled both sides (where you can unbuckle and select a different hole - but I don't pick a hole I just pull the strap as far as I can) -- so the buckles are useless and unused but they don't get in my way, I think it looks better too....except for my sloppy yarn ties, I really wanna know if cutting loose the belt loop things would work to hold them down so I wouldn't need those, then It would be perfect!

I don't know about the way you have yours, but I took a sharp knife, and cut the thread that connects the belt loop, so it now slides up and down.

I kind of tried but I failed I'm not good at stuff like that. I may try again with a better knife

It only has 2 small threads, just pull it out as far as you can, and take the sharp knife, and saw a little and it will break. Only took me a second to do on each side. I just undid my strap like you have yours, and the belt loop holds it down. I like it better with the longer strap.

I have a stitch remover tool for sewing and it is meant for doing exactly this!

You can get them at Joann's or michaels for a couple bucks, just google thread stitch remover. It's a little handle with a fork in the end and its sharp in between the tong part so you can slide it under the stitch and the sharp part cuts the thread. Just be careful you don't dig the pointy part into the leather but that is easy to avoid.

I'd take it to a cobbler and see what they can do to help u if u truly love that design and must have it. I know if it were me trying any kind of DIY my bags would b ruined. Either that or id end up hurting myself. Or mayb both. Lol!

Are there any noticeable holes where it was sewn? Would you be able to share a pic?

I have a chambray Courtenay and would love to snip the threads...just a little nervous.

I did this on my black courtenay, it does leave 2 tiny holes on the underside of the strap that you can't see when carrying the bag. It was no big deal for for me, since you can't see them.