24 hour auction?

I have never run a 24 hour auction. What is the purpose of this? Is it like a 24 hour sale, where you are trying to get the person to buy quickly, kind of like impulse buying?

Last edited:
It really depends on what you are selling. If it's a really hot item then yes an auction could work. I'd recommend having a reserved price so that you don't get undercut if the auction doesn't go well.

Last edited:
The LONGER the auction, the more exposure your item gets....

I have done the 5 Day auctions.... NOT great results....
7 day is better....
and 10 day auctions get better results...

Also... making sure that your auction ends on Sunday evening PST.....
Weekdays you don't get as many bidders....But, Sunday evenings people are usually home just hang in out.... so they are more apt to be on ebay..... :balloon:

One day listings puts you at the head of the line so to speak in Best Match. Many sellers did these when Ebay ran those 50k free listing promotions.

Nah, not worth it. The longer my item stays up there, the better the bids get. In fact, my favorite is when my item doesn't sell the first time but I have a ton of watchers - I relist and almost always get a good price the second time around because I still have my original watchers, plus anyone new who might come along.

Not really selling purses on Ebay, though I thought I'd share a bit of advice on the subject...

I had an item up for auction that ended on a Sunday afternoon. It was a 3 day auction. Within the first few hours, bidding was up to about 45% of the final price. Over the next 48 hours, it only increased to about 48%. Within the last 12 hours of the auction it rose to 65% of the final selling price where it stayed until there was less than a minute left. In that last minute it jumped to the full selling price. Because there were similar items ending within an hour before and after mine, a 24 hour auction would have yielded the same results. It was the same with the number of views/watches. Those didn't really jump until the last 12 hours of the auction.

You can't do 1 or 3 days auctions for designer brands.
I've seen 24 hr auctions for iphones

When I sell my iphone every year I always do the 24hr listing. Mainly because there will be so many iphones listed that I figure people must sort by what's "ending soonest"

Other than that I wouldn't do them for the other things I sell. But like beenburned pointed out there are limitations on what can be sold in those short time frames. Typically, more time leads to more exposure which can lead to a better sale price.