Need help on first bal purchase!! First, town, or city?

jilly.bean

O.G.
Jan 23, 2013
Hi Bal pals!

I'm in a huge dilemma... I'm planning to purchase my first Bal ever but I keep flip flopping on which style/color to buy.

I originally wanted the First because I really don't carry much with me every day (wallet, phone, keys, and sometimes a small makeup bag or water bottle). I love how compact the bag is and I already know it will fit my essentials. I also like that it looks slouchy when worn on the shoulder (not to mention the strap drop is perfect).

Then I looked into the Town and liked the idea of the crossbody! The majority of my handbags are crossbody styles, which I find very useful. I'm sure the long strap will be useful for shopping and traveling when I need my hands free. However, I'm afraid the bag will look too boxy and big if worn as a crossbody.. if that makes sense (I haven't seen a slouchy Town picture on TPF at all). I love my bags slouchy! All my crossbody bags are small in comparison to the Town and I'm afraid of how big it'll look on me. I know I will probably wear the bag on my shoulder most of the time (if not crossbody) and I have a feeling it might be too boxy/stiff/big looking against my body. And then there's the whole issue of the strap being awkwardly long (I'm 5'5") and what to do with the strap! I know the newer Towns come with an adjustable strap, but I don't know how much of a difference it really makes. I haven't tried on the Town in person, so maybe when I see it at the store, it'll ease my mind a bit?

AND THEN... I was browsing through pictures of the City and I really REALLY like how it slouches when it's worn on the shoulder. But who am I kidding, the City is HUGE! I would literally have to scramble around my room to find things to stuff into it. I have the LV Neverfull MM and my stuff literally swims in the bag because I don't carry much with me on the daily.

That's just one of my dilemmas.. I'm also very indecisive on color! I tend to be very classic.. most of my handbags are black. I love how versatile black is and I don't have to worry about my bags not matching my outfits. So I would ideally want a black First in RH... BUT one of my best friends has this exact same purse and I wouldn't want us to be wearing the EXACT same bag when we're out together. So my next choice is gris tarmac, but I wear A LOT of grey (90% of my wardrobe is grey) so I'm worried that a grey handbag would look a bit too much. I was also considering anthracite, but as I looked at pictures, I noticed a lot of the blue/green undertones which I don't like.

So I think my choices come down to a First in GT or a Town in black... Or the City in black? I need advice! What is a girl to do???? This newbie would definitely appreciate some expertise advice! :smile:

Based on what I read - I think you should purchase a black first. It's the prettiest of all bal shapes imo, plus you said you don't carry a ton of stuff. It's light and fits against the body perfectly handle drop wise. I prefer black over grey as it will show much less wear and will be a classic to have and wear forever.

GL with decision.

Have you looked in to the Mini City? It's small AND has the crossbody strap! I would go for the black for your first Bal bag -- nothing beats the classic!

Have you looked in to the Mini City? It's small AND has the crossbody strap! I would go for the black for your first Bal bag -- nothing beats the classic!
Thank you for your input ladies!

xJOLE, yes I've seen pictures of the Mini City but I think the size is TOO similar too the other crossbody bags that I have (Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C., MBMJ Percy, etc.) Also, I don't think the Mini City would be worth the price when I could pay just a little more and have an every day handbag. But I appreciate your suggestion. I think I will go with black ;) just need to figure out what style now!

Thank you for your input ladies!

xJOLE, yes I've seen pictures of the Mini City but I think the size is TOO similar too the other crossbody bags that I have (Rebecca Minkoff Mini M.A.C., MBMJ Percy, etc.) Also, I don't think the Mini City would be worth the price when I could pay just a little more and have an every day handbag. But I appreciate your suggestion. I think I will go with black ;) just need to figure out what style now!

My "first" was a black First and I adore it. I use my City when I need my iPad (I have one of the big dudes) and/or a water bottle. Basically if I'll be out for a while and need more things on me.

For everything else, from dinners, to parties, to shopping - i use the First.

And it looks fantastic in any setting :smile:

I would go for black and you can get a different hardware than your friend. I think the town would be good for you - the city slouches but I think you will miss the crossbody strap. Or - how about the maxi twiggy - bigger than the town but a little smaller than the city - has a crossbody. ****** sells a lot of maxi twiggys which seem to be mostly sold in Europe if I am not mistaken.

I also think classic hardware bags (the type with the tassels) slouch much better than other hardware bags.

I would go for black and you can get a different hardware than your friend. I think the town would be good for you - the city slouches but I think you will miss the crossbody strap. Or - how about the maxi twiggy - bigger than the town but a little smaller than the city - has a crossbody. ****** sells a lot of maxi twiggys which seem to be mostly sold in Europe if I am not mistaken.

I also think classic hardware bags (the type with the tassels) slouch much better than other hardware bags.
Thanks ladies!

Nancy, I considered getting a different hardware but I just love the tassels so much! Thank you for your information on the slouchiness - I'm set on classic RH! The three styles keep jumping around in my head, hopefully I can make a decision soon! :panic:

If you like First but don't want to copy your friend i would consider maybe a brighter color. If you have a lot of black bags it might be nice to have one that was a little wilder. And I love the look of neutral clothes with a pop of color in the bag. Even maybe just a darker blue or a red even? Just a suggestion, of course. I used to always buy black too, but I've loved having bright colors now.

I seconded slowlikehoney for a brighter color..especially if you have lots of black purses already. :P
and Town will get my vote as you don't carry a lot of stuff...**Too bad you don't like mini city they are sooo cute!~

I have a slouchy town, and I adore it. Every day that I carry it, it becomes more puddle-like when I set it down. So I am going to recommend the town, as for color...well my town is Cassis and at first I really thought I would rather have a black bag but now I am glad I went with something else. Just a personal preference. :smile:

If you like First but don't want to copy your friend i would consider maybe a brighter color. If you have a lot of black bags it might be nice to have one that was a little wilder. And I love the look of neutral clothes with a pop of color in the bag. Even maybe just a darker blue or a red even? Just a suggestion, of course. I used to always buy black too, but I've loved having bright colors now.
Thank you for the idea, slowlikehoney! I've kind of been toying around with that idea as well - I was sort of eyeing the First in curry! I just don't know if I can justify spending $1500 on a yellow purse as opposed to black which is timeless and will be classic forever and ever. Gosh, who knew picking out a purse could be so hard!! :thinking:

I have a slouchy town, and I adore it. Every day that I carry it, it becomes more puddle-like when I set it down. So I am going to recommend the town, as for color...well my town is Cassis and at first I really thought I would rather have a black bag but now I am glad I went with something else. Just a personal preference. :smile:
Thank you LoriB! I thought I was set on the town until I looked at the City thread today.. GAH! I think this is probably the size I'm looking for - as many TPFers have said, it's in between a First and City - but I think I need to see it in person and try it on so I can have a feel of the crossbody strap. I'm enlightened to know that yours is slouchy! Would you mind posting a picture when you get a chance? Maybe worn in different ways (crossbody, shoulder, and on the arm). I would LOVE to see pictures!! Thank you for your input!!

I agree with LoriB that the town can be slouchy as well! I have 3 towns (my first bal was a FIRST) and the town has that additional space when you do need it - anyway, it is just a tad taller only. My RH town tends to slouch more though, as compared to the giant hardware ones. I am (or used to be) a black bag only gal - but ever since i discovered bal, I do not go for black bags anymore!!! My 3 towns are in Cumin (dirty yellow), militaire (dirty green) and Cassis (burgundy red) and I think they are all versatile enuff to match most of my clothes!