Blue Nile Diamonds? Purchasing Diamonds Online?

Nov 14, 2012
Has anyone here purchased loose diamonds from Blue Nile?

If so, are they as amazing as I have heard? Or are Tiffany / Cartier / HOF diamonds so much better?

I somehow can't convince myself to purchase a DBTY style necklace from any of the above companies because I feel as though I'm paying so much more just for the brand name.

I'm considering purchasing a fabulous loose diamond and then asking my jeweler to create a DBTY necklace with a bezel similar to Tiffany on a sturdier chain similar to Cartier, but with the lobster clasp I prefer, etc.

Thoughts on where to purchase gorgeous loose diamonds online?

They're fine and you can get a great stone but if you can go from another online shop that offers images of the stones you will get to see what you're getting.

I'm also working on a custom dbty style necklace because i want a diamond shape not offered at Tiffany or Cartier (as far as i know). I have never purchased from Blue Nile but they have great prices and seem to have an excellent reputation. If i didn't buy all my diamonds from third parties i'd consider getting my dbty stone from them.

While I did not order a loose diamond - I had it set - I did order my engagement upgrade from Blue Nile. In my case, they had each of the stones I was very interested in on-hand, not at a third party location, and they were able to give me opinions. They were very honest about a stone being eye-clean, and readily admitted when a stone had a visible inclusion or appeared "milky". While they did not offer images of the stones, I did run their numbers through the HCA before ordering, and their return policy is excellent if you are not satisfied. Overall, I had an excellent experience with Blue Nile and I would highly recommend them.

There is a very comprehensive forum dedicated to diamonds - pricescope.
I'd recommend looking at some of the online vendors their members use. (James Allen, Good Old Gold, Whiteflah) Typically the process is a little more straightforward when you can get pics/videos etc of the actual stone. A generous return policy is also a must.

When i was searching For a DBTY i look thousand of website but noone convinced me..cause i would like someone in real life to deal with.

First of all i learnt something about color..clarity..carat and so on..(you have to learn the basic things..is better For you!!)

Then i choosed the CARAT WEIGHT ;)

So far i "played" with blunile's website to find a great stone compared to My budget..

When i finally decided..i asked My jeweler to find the stone and Make My DBTY ;) ;) ;)

Now i'm super happy with it!!

Thank you, everyone! All of this information is very helpful, as I'm still trying to decide where to get a breathtaking stone.

I know that if I get one from my jeweler, it would be more expensive than Blue Nile. It appears that Whiteflash is also more expensive, but offers pictures/video of the actual stones.

I'll have to familiarize myself with a few other sites and check out Pricescope, I believe!

There is a very comprehensive forum dedicated to diamonds - pricescope.
I'd recommend looking at some of the online vendors their members use. (James Allen, Good Old Gold, Whiteflah) Typically the process is a little more straightforward when you can get pics/videos etc of the actual stone. A generous return policy is also a must.

Pricescope used to be an excellent diamond search engine. But what happened to it? I tried to find stones with criteria that I used to search with, and there were no results! It completely went downhill.

Back to PeacefulMommy, most of these online vendors have good return policies. If you don't like the stone, you can send it back for a refund. I did that once with Jamesallen.

Most of the good online vendors have good return policies. Good Old Gold, james allen, Brian Gavin Diamonds and blue Nile. The benefit is that unless it is a "virtual selection" you'll get images of the actual stone.

If you're experienced with buying diamonds on paper (ie based on the specs you see on the certs), Blue Nile offers very good prices. Many diamond cutters and traders list their stones on the site. Online vendors and brick-and-mortar shops get their stones from these cutters/traders so their prices naturally include a retail markup.

Also--search for SKPhoto's thread about their bezel pendant--it's nothing like the Tiffany one, not at all as dainty, unless they changed the finding they use.

I got my emerald cut diamond from blue Nile. I did not like the first one due to the shape. They took it back and I ordered a second one and it is perfect. They talked with me over the telephone and took the time to make sure I was happy. I would highly recommend them.