When to repurchase powder blush?

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I have a blush I discovered in my stash that I tried and liked once again. I think I purchased it in 2004 though. I was wondering should I buy another or is is okay? More then safety (how bad could it be contained in a drawer for that time) I'm wondering also if the color is true i.e. faded at all?

Thoughts? Thanks all! :flowers:

I would say it is best to repurchase the blush since it has been 9 years from the date of purchase.

Here is a little chart I picked up from another site. It is just pasted in so it doesn't really look nice.

Product Toss it . . .
Mascara - Every three months
Foundation - One year
Concealer - 12-18 months
Powder - 18 months
Blush/bronzer - 18 months
Cream blush - 12-18 months
Eye shadow - 18 months
Eyeliner - 18 months
Liquid eyeliner - Six months
Lipstick/lip gloss - 18 months
Lip liner - One year

I read that it could form a layer of "film" on top of the pressed powder block which would make it harder for the brush to pick up the pigment if it is still in block form. But, you could always crush up the blush powder block and use it like a loose powder.

I'm not sure if I would follow the recommend dates as pasted in a post above. It seems a bit strange to me that powder (that uses a separate brush) would have the same "best by" date as something that goes directly on the eyes everyday (liquid eyeliner).

I generally use brushes for most of my make up and I clean it regularly (about once a week) as well as wipe off any excess after each use, so I think that something like a blush could easily last 2-3 years.

That being said, 9 is stretching it a bit. If it looks okay and you aren't breaking out, then I think it's okay to continue using it, but that's just my two cents :smile:

Wow, this is pretty helpful!

However I have some eye shadows that are probably older than 18 months (either I only use a small amount or don't use them very often), but it really feels wasteful to throw away. I guess because even though they're going on my eye area they are not a liquid or cream and I'm using clean brushes, unlike lip gloss etc. :thinking:

How long does everyone usually keep their products?

It's really helpful to hear feedback from everyone on how long you guys keep your cosmetics.

Sorry to sound like a broken record - but in terms of saturation - do we think the color of the eyeshadow or blush fades over time?

VERY INTERESTING! : So I like the classic Nars orgasm blush from 9 years ago so after reading all these comments I went and repurchased a new Nars orgasm today. I put them side by side and low and behold they WERE DIFFERENT! I don't know if it's because my old one is 9 years old or they changed the color - but the new one is more pigmented then my old version:

Here they are side by side new on left old on right in natural light no flash or enhancement:
photo-2_zps0e9210b7.jpg

Here they are side by side with a bit of photo enhancement to see color difference even more:
photo-1_zps9e35a8cc.jpg

beauxgoris said:
VERY INTERESTING! : So I like the classic Nars orgasm blush from 9 years ago so after reading all these comments I went and repurchased a new Nars orgasm today. I put them side by side and low and behold they WERE DIFFERENT! I don't know if it's because my old one is 9 years old or they changed the color - but the new one is more pigmented then my old version:

Here they are side by side new on left old on right in natural light no flash or enhancement:

Here they are side by side with a bit of photo enhancement to see color difference even more:

Hi beauxgoris! I'm so glad you posted these pics! I used orgasm when it came out but didn't repurchase until recently. At the counter, I had thought the color was much more intense/deep coral than what I remembered it to be. But the sa said it was not.

It's too intense for me so I rarely use it. I'm glad to see my memory wasn't off! (Now I can justify getting a new blush! Haha).

^Thanks for posting those pics!! That is very interesting... wonder if NARS changed the color over the years? What's funny is that my Orgasm (in the Danmari palette... puchased maybe 6 months ago) looks more like your old Orgasm!

I'm glad I had photo proof of what I was talking about. When you look in person there's a huge difference between the two. "O" now looks like how I've seen it on makeup blogs this past year. I keep looking at my pan and thinking "why is mine so pale looking". I really do think they punched up the color and reformulated at some point.