Old Diamonds - New Pieces!

Nov 14, 2012
About a year ago, when my grandfather passed away, I inherited a box of my grandmother's old rings. My "Pop" had kept them for sentimental reasons, as his way of having my "Nana" around after she'd passed two years before. My aunt & uncle told me that he'd wanted me to have them, but that he couldn't part with them until he didn't need them anymore.

Many of the rings, although beautiful, are very old and in bad shape. My Nana wore them every day, multiples on every finger, and never removed them, even while cleaning the house or working in the kitchen. The gold is worn thin and bent. Prongs are bent and broken. Stones are chipped and missing altogether. But there are so many memories in that box!

I recently took two of the rings - my grandmother's 1950's engagement ring and the three stone anniversary ring from her 25th anniversary - to my favorite local jeweler to have them re-set into new rings. We decided on bezel settings, which would best protect the old stones.

Here are the finished products!

Attachments

• image-2317818100.jpg
    image-2317818100.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 810
  • image-3367527197.jpg
    image-3367527197.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 939
  • image-2363057178.jpg
    image-2363057178.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 769
Wow, these came out so beautifully. I bet you're so happy with them! They remind me of the Tiffany bezet and three stone milgrain rings...only with bigger diamonds, and so much nicer. They make perfect right-hand rings, I think. And you're right, rose gold looks great on you! ;)

They look lovely on you :smile:. Love that they're bezel set!

P.S. I never did find my dbty earrings :sad:. I'm still on the lookout for them, though, lol. Never know, they may still turn up.

What lovely pieces, I am sure you will cherish them!

Beautiful! So exquisite!

Love them!!!!

Beautiful pieces!! I sure everytime you look at them, you will think of your grandparents.

Thank you!!! :biggrin: These are definitely pieces that I will cherish for many years to come, especially considering their sentimental value. :love:

Wow, these came out so beautifully. I bet you're so happy with them! They remind me of the Tiffany bezet and three stone milgrain rings...only with bigger diamonds, and so much nicer. They make perfect right-hand rings, I think. And you're right, rose gold looks great on you! ;)

Thank you! I'm very happy with them! I wish that I could capture their sparkle with my iPhone camera... They're so pretty in real life!

It's so funny that you mention the Tiffany designs... because those were the models for these rings! ;) Would you believe that the largest stone (solitaire) is only a 4.3mm diamond? Approximately 1/3 carat! It looks bigger to me. Those old diamonds are impressive...

And I :heart: rose gold.... I gave the jeweler the go-ahead for my RG letter 'A' necklace while I was in their shop... naughty me!

They look lovely on you :smile:. Love that they're bezel set!

P.S. I never did find my dbty earrings :sad:. I'm still on the lookout for them, though, lol. Never know, they may still turn up.

Thank you! I had them bezel-set to protect the diamonds... but they DO match my Tiffany DBTY earrings now, too!

Very lovely bezel-set RG rings! Congrats!

I've recently had some diamond jewelry reset in a 16" RG Solitaire dbty necklace & matching 18" RG 8 diamond dbty necklace . Perfect match with yours ;D

It's so funny that you mention the Tiffany designs... because those were the models for these rings! ;) Would you believe that the largest stone (solitaire) is only a 4.3mm diamond? Approximately 1/3 carat! It looks bigger to me. Those old diamonds are impressive...

And I :heart: rose gold.... I gave the jeweler the go-ahead for my RG letter 'A' necklace while I was in their shop... naughty me!

Wow, you're right, it does look much bigger! The bezet is only 0.16 though, so yours is still twice the size, with a family stone, and your own design. So much more special. You're starting to make me want to reset my great-grandmother's ring again! I will resist, though...for now :nono:

As far as the 'A' necklace, hey, you deserve it! You've been on the hunt for an RG everyday necklace for ages. And maybe that other solitaire will sell and pay for it! :graucho:

Did you happen to take 'before' photos? It would be cool to see the whole transformation!

I didn't take 'official' before & after photos... but I did snap a quick photo of the rings in their box for my insurance company, and I still have the original settings. I will put up pictures of those in a little while!

Last edited: