Please help! Matte croc/gator B30, what colour?

Mar 26, 2009
After a bit of a play with some croc/gator skin bags, I feel I am finally converted from shiny to matte. But I am not familiar with colour options in matte. Are they the same as what’s offered for shiny? For hardware, I am currently thinking gold.

I have searched through the reference section and narrowed it down to something either in the purple or blue family. So far I like Amethyst, Blue de Malte and Violet. But I feel Amethyst looks best in shiny. Will it be nice in matte too?

I don’t want anything from the brown family. I haven’t ruled out red just yet.

Between the three I mentioned, which one do you prefer? Any suggestions to other colours are also welcome.

Thank you all for your input!

:tpfrox:

I have never seen Violet in matte but it is awesome in Shiny! Very pretty and striking! I am not sure if it will look as delicate and lovely in matte, but will love to see!

I have seen Amethyst Nilo in matte and personally find the colour a tad dull. That being said, in Shiny, Amethyst can look even darker than it is in matte. However, I like the jewel-tone qualities of this colour in Shiny and the darker colour makes it less stressful to use on a more regular basis.

Do you prefer brighter colours or are u searching for something more versatile to match?
I drooled over incessantly over another TPFer's Matte Mykonos which is a head turner, and if Red is an option, Matte Geranium is TDF!!!

Must be lotsa fun deciding...!

Red. Amethyst is pretty too but as you say nicer in shiny. Graphite looks very very masculine. If I ever got one matte bag it would be red.

Thank you for your input, hermesmonkey! The only thing with red is I don't like red with GHW. And I worry it may be too much "in your face" for me. I have it in normal leather which I am more comfortable with. I haven't completely ruled it out though.

I have never seen Violet in matte but it is awesome in Shiny! Very pretty and striking! I am not sure if it will look as delicate and lovely in matte, but will love to see!

I have seen Amethyst Nilo in matte and personally find the colour a tad dull. That being said, in Shiny, Amethyst can look even darker than it is in matte. However, I like the jewel-tone qualities of this colour in Shiny and the darker colour makes it less stressful to use on a more regular basis.

Do you prefer brighter colours or are u searching for something more versatile to match?
I drooled over incessantly over another TPFer's Matte Mykonos which is a head turner, and if Red is an option, Matte Geranium is TDF!!!

Must be lotsa fun deciding...!

Thanks for your detailed reply, Accessorize*me! I do normally like coloured bags, but I want this to be versatile too, and suitable from day to night, hence the size 30. My SA has mentioned matte mykonos to me saying it was TDF! But I have never seen a photo of it. Is there one on TPF?

Thanks for your detailed reply, Accessorize*me! I do normally like coloured bags, but I want this to be versatile too, and suitable from day to night, hence the size 30. My SA has mentioned matte mykonos to me saying it was TDF! But I have never seen a photo of it. Is there one on TPF?

I have saved this pic in case the Birkin Gods + Fortune Gods smile at me.

Hope the lucky owner who was kind enough to share the pic doesn't mind my re-posting this beauty here:

FD1DF72B-CDCA-4CF5-A2EB-205FD2F90ED9-168-0000000A25D06FB4_zps8eafc9a2.jpg

While is the "in" thing that's considered edgy and cool, it can come out dry-looking, needing a lot of patina. Amethyst as mentioned isn't always great in various dyes. The best way to choose a croc/gator is to see it in person, as there's no standard on how it will turn out. Rouge H's shades can range from the coveted deep burgundy shade to an orange-like red. I think it's best to stick to shiny as getting matte in the right shade can be tricky. Bleu Abyssee in shiny would be dreamy.