Post Your Nail Tutorials Here!

OANHderful

Mar 22, 2012
I notice there are so many wonderful nail artist out there, whether it's ombre, paintings, or simple nail techniques/ art, this should be a place to share your tutorials with the rest of us.

Let me start...Tutorial for my “Neon Skittles”.

ChinaGlazeNeonCollectionSkittlesTutorial.jpg

Items:

nail polish (You can choose any 4 colors you like. I chose ChinaGlaze Neon Collection: Splish Splash, I’m With The Lifeguard, Hang Ten Toes, and Sun-kissed), a white nail polish as a base (I used #ChinaGlaze White On), acetone/ nail polish remover and some cosmetic Q-tips or a cuticle brush for cleanups, top coat, and a cosmetic/ dishwashing sponge.

Steps:

(1) Gather your supplies, and loosen bottle caps prior to starting.
(2) Prep your nails then paint a white base...wait for it to dry.
(3) Swipe 4 equal squares of nail polish to the sponge then lightly dab the center of sponge to the center of your nails. Do this for all nails.
(4) Continue to dab and make sure to cover the edges of the nail as you dab. Dab sponge on first nail, reapply nail polish, and then move on to the next nail and repeat the process. As you’re dabbing remember to lightly shift your sponge up, down, left, and right to reduce the lines that appears between the colors.
(5) Once you achieve the colors you like without any balding spots you can start to clean around the nails. To finish, apply a top coat.
(6) Share! Remember if you don't get it right the first time, know that practice makes perfect!

ChinaGlazeNeonSkittles.jpg

Reposting from the nail art thread!

8416638126_a32e9f51ff_c.jpg

1. Gather your supplies and prep your nails. I used Soulstice Spa Gotham, L'Oreal Amazon's Flash, CND Toughen Up, Nubar Diamont, tweezers, scissors, striping tape, and a cosmetic sponge.

2. Paint two coats of black nail polish on your nails. Either let them fully dry for a while, or apply a quick dry top coat before you apply the tape.

3. Apply the striping tape in vertical lines on your nails. I always place the center piece first to ensure the boxes are all the same size. The tape might have to be placed further apart or closer depending on the size of your nails.

4. Apply the striping tape in horizontal lines on your nails. This time, I placed the tape closest to the free edge of my nail first to get the right size of box I wanted. The third piece of tape was placed more as a guide, as the first two lines are more important for the design.

5. Paint the nail polish directly on the sponge. This works much better than painting it on another surface first and dipping the sponge. Less waste of the polish too.

6. Sponge the polish onto your nail, focussing on the tip. I went very heavy on the tip of my nail, painted another coat of polish on the sponge, then went back in and brought the gradient further down my nail.

7. Make sure you are happy with the gradient. Touch up spots you may have missed on the sides. You may have to do steps 5 and 6 a few times to get the desired look.

8. Remove the striping tape. I use tweezers for this step which works great, especially if you are waiting for the other hand to dry. Do not remove the tape all at once. Remove one piece at a time, opposite as you placed it on, leaving the perfect lines.

9. Clean up around the sides if necessary. Finish with a top coat. :smile:

I notice there are so many wonderful nail artist out there, whether it's ombre, paintings, or simple nail techniques/ art, this should be a place to share your tutorials with the rest of us.

ChinaGlazeNeonCollectionSkittlesTutorial.jpg

Items:

nail polish (You can choose any 4 colors you like. I chose ChinaGlaze Neon Collection: Splish Splash, I’m With The Lifeguard, Hang Ten Toes, and Sun-kissed), a white nail polish as a base (I used #ChinaGlaze White On), acetone/ nail polish remover and some cosmetic Q-tips or a cuticle brush for cleanups, top coat, and a cosmetic/ dishwashing sponge.

Steps:

(3) Swipe 4 equal squares of nail polish to the sponge then lightly dab the center of sponge to the center of your nails. Do this for all nails.
(4) Continue to dab and make sure to cover the edges of the nail as you dab. Dab sponge on first nail, reapply nail polish, and then move on to the next nail and repeat the process. As you’re dabbing remember to lightly shift your sponge up, down, left, and right to reduce the lines that appears between the colors.
(5) Once you achieve the colors you like without any balding spots you can start to clean around the nails. To finish, apply a top coat.
(6) Share! Remember if you don't get it right the first time, know that practice makes perfect!

ChinaGlazeNeonSkittles.jpg

Ok, THIS is amazing!!!

I have tried to do this sponge painting but for the life of me I cannot get a nice opaque colour!! My sponge absorbs EVERYTHING! A sheer barelythere wash is the best I can do.

I feel like I've tried everything! Soak the sponge, let it stay wet, squeeze water out, layer the polish till it gets tacky etc.

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET????

Items:

Steps:

I'm in love with this thread already!

OANHderful: I love love love your neon skittles, it looks amazing!

Reposting from the nail art thread!
:smile:

Thank you for posting this here. I will need to do this some
day...

Ok, THIS is amazing!!!

I have tried to do this sponge painting but for the life of me I cannot get a nice opaque colour!! My sponge absorbs EVERYTHING! A sheer barelythere wash is the best I can do.

I feel like I've tried everything! Soak the sponge, let it stay wet, squeeze water out, layer the polish till it gets tacky etc.

WHAT IS YOUR SECRET????

Thank you very much but I don't have any secrets. I apply a white base then swipe the NP to the a dry make-up sponge and lightly start dabbing. Continue working all 10 fingers and repeat if necessary until you get the colors that you like. Finish with a top coat -- it helps blend the colors.

I'm in love with this thread already!

OANHderful: I love love love your neon skittles, it looks amazing!

Thank you :biggrin:

Ok that is cool. Can it be done by yourself.

Yes...you can absolitely do this yourself.

OANHderful said:

Items:

Steps:

Love!! Thank you for sharing!!!

This is a twist on another mani I did at the beginning of January. I was asked for a tutorial on the original, but decided to switch it up a bit this time. I guess now you technically have two tutorials in one! :P

Here is my original:
8351553025_90fcf08dbb.jpg

And the new one:
8458264722_909d7e86c9.jpg

The tutorial:
8458284174_b97768eeaf_c.jpg

1. Gather your supplies and prep your nails. I used Nfu Oh Aqua Base, Layla Gold Idol and Purple Illusion, Cirque Fascination Street, a-England The Shield top coat, a piece of plastic wrap (bunched into a ball), a few precision tip Q-tips, and a piece of paper.

2. Paint two coats of your base colour. In this case, I chose a gold holographic polish. You can use any colour combination you desire. Make sure your base colour is completely dry, or use a quick dry top coat before moving to the next step.

3. Work quickly with the next few steps! Place a few drops of your first polish on a piece of paper. Dip the plastic wrap into the polish, and dab it a few times on the paper before applying it to your nails. You do not want too much polish on the plastic wrap.

4. Immediately "sponge" the polish on your nails in a few random spots. Don't overdo it, or your base colour won't show through. You want a nice balance of colours.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 as necessary, to achieve the desired effect.

6. If you are using a third colour, repeat steps 3 and 4 in another contrasting colour. I chose a darker one so that it would pop against the light base colour.

7. Make sure you are happy with the effect. You may have to touch up a few spots if you feel it is not balanced enough.

8. Clean up around the cuticles with some nail polish remover.

9. Finish with a top coat. :smile:

Last edited: