Skin undertones and metal colors

Fioratura

Jan 8, 2013
Do you usually gravitate toward one color metal because it looks better with your skin's undertones? Conventional internet wisdom says that people with cool/pink or blue undertones look better in white metals and people with warm/ yellow undertones look better in yellow metals. Have you found this to be true for yourself or do you look equally good in all metals? What clothing colors do you usually gravitate to and do those color choices correspond with your skin's undertones.

http://claresauntie.typepad.com/beauty_school/2009/01/lesson-1-skintone-am-i-cool-or-warm.html

http://www.rosalindofarden.com/2011/05/determining-skin-tone-and-color-palettes/

I think I actually look better in warm colors and yellow gold but much prefer white gold and silver instead. I also wear a lot more colors like black, dark blues so those colors tend to look better with white/ silver as well.

I know I'm backwards lol but I just buy what I like when it comes to clothes and jewelry and leave the color matching to makeup instead. :smile:

Ummm.... Now I'm confused after reading those!

When I look at my wrists, my veins are obviously blue through my skin. I have a LOT of pink in my complexion. I have very fair skin and eyes. All of this would lead me to believe that I am cool toned.

However, I look TERRIBLE as a blonde. I look AWFUL in silver or white metals. And I can pull off red hair with no problem! According to those facts, I should be warm toned.

So... Hmm. I'll admit that yellow gold looks good on me. Rose gold also looks good on me, as long as it doesn't "blend" into the pink of my skin. White metals actually look harsh against my skin, and really stand out, but not in a good way...

I mostly wear black, brown, dark reds, copper-ish colors, olive greens, very dark blue, or neutral/khaki. All are flattering on me. I shy away from yellow, green and pink clothing, as well as bright or pastel shades.

Not sure which I am... I would guess cool toned. Very "rosy". But I keep getting conflicting information!

Last edited:
I do find this all very confusing. I think I may actually be neutral because the "tests" were somewhat inconclusive and I see both yellow and pink in my skin. Orange and rust colors are my favorite colors to wear, leading me to believe I'm more warm, but some yellow gold kind of blends in with my skin and makes me look really yellow. White metals seem to make me look healthier. I also like how bronze and high carat golds look on me. I haven't tried rose gold. Maybe it's just 14k that has a sallowing effect on me.

Last edited:

When I look at my wrists, my veins are obviously blue through my skin. I have a LOT of pink in my complexion. I have very fair skin and eyes. All of this would lead me to believe that I am cool toned.

However, I look TERRIBLE as a blonde. I look AWFUL in silver or white metals. And I can pull off red hair with no problem! According to those facts, I should be warm toned.

So... Hmm. I'll admit that yellow gold looks good on me. Rose gold also looks good on me, as long as it doesn't "blend" into the pink of my skin. White metals actually look harsh against my skin, and really stand out, but not in a good way...

I mostly wear black, brown, dark reds, copper-ish colors, olive greens, very dark blue, or neutral/khaki. All are flattering on me. I shy away from yellow, green and pink clothing, as well as bright or pastel shades.

Not sure which I am... I would guess cool toned. Very "rosy". But I keep getting conflicting information!

I'm the same way! I'm a redhead, with green eyes and pale, but pinky, skin. I should look great in yellow gold, but I think that silver looks good on me, and most of my stuff is sterling silver. I look good in rubies/garnets, but also green stones, like emerald and chrome diopside. Morganite does not show on my skin, nor do pinky-toned stones. The same for white diamonds, unless they are surrounding a colored stone.

Anyone remember Color Me Beautiful from the 1980's? I never could tell what season I was: either Spring or Fall. I also was told that I looked good in Winter (jewel tones and white) colors!

I personally find those "rules" to be not true for me. I have yellow skin undertone and I used to think (according to those rules) that I should be wearing YG. But if you look at my veins, they are blue, almost purple-ish. So am I warm or cold? And over the years, I have tried and tried and find myself liking WG and RG on me a lot more. YG tend to blend in with my skin tone and doesn't look very nice at all. So now I just ignore those "rules" and go with what I like the best against my skin.

I personally find those "rules" to be not true for me. I have yellow skin undertone and I used to think (according to those rules) that I should be wearing YG. But if you look at my veins, they are blue, almost purple-ish. So am I warm or cold? And over the years, I have tried and tried and find myself liking WG and RG on me a lot more. YG tend to blend in with my skin tone and doesn't look very nice at all. So now I just ignore those "rules" and go with what I like the best against my skin.

All of this is true for me also! Same undertone and vein color. I think YG blends in with my skin complexion too and I totally stopped wearing it. Now I stick to silver and WG. Recently I have been adding more RG and really like it but I still feel the white metals suits me best.

ive never thought of pairing my jewelry with my skin tone before.

i'm like peacefulmommy, fair with pink tones and i look better with red hair.

however ive always worn silver. i couldnt stand gold as a teenager...

but now as i'm in my mid 20's i can appreciate gold sometimes with certain outfits and i've started buy carefully selected gold jewelry pieces to give me something different to play with.

Me too!!!! I thought I was warmed toned because, I look great in emerald green and red. Also, Yellow Gold suits my skin best. However, after reading this article, my veins are blue and I look killer in lavendar. White metals do not look bad on me, but they do not have the same warm affect as yellow gold. Rose gold, although beautiful, probably looks the worst on me. (I still wear it though with pride- :roflmfao: ). Hmmm! Maybe I should make this easy- EVERYTHING must look awesome on me!!!! :cool:

I have warm skin with pink undertones...I personally think I look better in YG, but wear white metals most. Some rose gold looks great on me (dior, cartier) some rose gold looks terrible on me (tiffany).

If that's your picture as an avatar, I'd say you're "autumn" type of beauty and off course yellow gold looks better on you... :smile:

Yellow gold doesn't look good on me at all. It just sort of...disappears into my skin tone. I still wear it b/c I think it's beautiful. But sterling and platinum look best, followed by rose gold.