Too young for eyelid surgery?

Pfnille

Loving Louboutin
Nov 2, 2010
It runs in my family genes to have droopy eyelids, especially as you grow older. My grandmother had it so much that she could barely see properly, and my father also has it although not as much as my grandmother did.
In addition, me and my siblings have also inherited the (beginning) droopy eyelids.

Most of you would probably say it's not so bad in my case, but a girlfriend of mine pointed out that she was noticing me raising my eyebrows a lot. This is about 8 months ago and I have since then been really aware of it and agreed that I do this a lot, several times an hour. I think it is due to the heavy eyelids - that they annoy me and I therefore raise my eyebrows to get better view because there is nothing wrong with my vision.
Now, I definitely don't want to develop a wrinkle on my forehead and I do see a beginning line which made me contact a plastic surgeon to hear her opinions on a possible eyelid surgery.

Did not go as I expected. She clearly thought I was too young (21) for the surgery and insinuated that it was because of psychological reasons I was lifting my brows (like I had seen a supermodel with high-crease eyelids, thought it was pretty and then was imitating this myself by lifting my brows). That part almost came off as if she thought I was having many image/body related issues which I do not.
She concluded surgery would be a "waste of money for my part" because my eyelids were not reaching my lashes. (?)
She instead suggested injecting botox to my forehead to numb the muscles so I would shake the habit of raising my eyebrows.

I am a bit doubtful about her opinion, though.
I like that she was honest with me - but I also feel she came off a bit judgmental to me and did not properly listen to me telling about the droopy eyelid "problem" running in my family genes.
In my mind, it does sound a bit silly suggesting botox instead when it's pretty certain that the "problem" is going to escalate over the years. (I do realize that eyelid surgery is not permanent due to collagen loss, movement etc.) Plus, starting botox in my age ...?

What are your opinions on this?
Or if any of you have other ideas for the problem of me unintentionally raising my eyebrows, it would be much appreciated!
:smile:

Last edited:
Here's a picture of my eyes. Probably makes it easier to decide.

_DSC6196_2.jpg

You have sexy hooded lids. Gorgeous eyes. Lovely skin.
I'd say wait maybe 5 years see where they are then. Maybe 10 years.
Right now they wouldn't have much to work with & they might over do it. That would be much worse than what you think is the issue now. And will affect you the rest of your life.

You aren't to where your grandma is. I'm 55, I know what you are talking about. See it a lot.

Do the botox to quit raising your brows. But don't keep doing it, just till you break the habit.

Don't doubt her opinion, she's the professional. She could of easily taken your money.

You have sexy hooded lids. Gorgeous eyes. Lovely skin.
I'd say wait maybe 5 years see where they are then. Maybe 10 years.
Right now they wouldn't have much to work with & they might over do it. That would be much worse than what you think is the issue now. And will affect you the rest of your life.

You aren't to where your grandma is. I'm 55, I know what you are talking about. See it a lot.

Do the botox to quit raising your brows. But don't keep doing it, just till you break the habit.

Don't doubt her opinion, she's the professional. She could of easily taken your money.

Thank you for your opinion - and compliments!! :smile:

You are probably right that I should give it 5-10 more years. And yes, it would be horrible if the results came out bad! That's also one of the main reasons I never consider plastic surgery, but an aunt of mine has have eyelid surgery and her work was really nice - no visible scars - and the procedure is fairly common as far as I now so I'm not too concerned...
However, botox for the habit breaking of it is more reasonable, I guess.

... Maybe I just need to hear it from somebody else as I was a little offended with her coming off a bit judgmental ;)

To be honest, I don't see droopiness in the picture that you posted. However, maybe it shows more in person? Not sure. But I had plastic surgery done at age 18. I also know someone who had droopy eyes and got surgery to fix it while they were in their 20's.

Get another opinion if it really bothers you that much. I am Asian and I'm planning on getting rhinoplasty this year. I went in for a consult with a Caucasian doctor and he said he wouldn't touch my nose because my nose is already perfect and that it's all in my mind. However, I'll ask another doctor and he will agree that my nose could use a little bit of work. Everyone has their own opinion about beauty and perfection.

Although the picture you posted is helpful, something like this sort of needs before-and-after images in an effort to form an opinion. It's one thing to see an image of your eyes now, but it's another to have a comparison of how your eyes looked a few years ago. Know what I mean?
I think that your eyes look lovely, but I can certainly understand your concerns. We are always our own biggest critics. If you truly have concerns about your eyes, I would seek a second (or even third) opinion from a certified plastic surgeon.

To be honest, I don't see droopiness in the picture that you posted. However, maybe it shows more in person? Not sure. But I had plastic surgery done at age 18. I also know someone who had droopy eyes and got surgery to fix it while they were in their 20's.

Get another opinion if it really bothers you that much. I am Asian and I'm planning on getting rhinoplasty this year. I went in for a consult with a Caucasian doctor and he said he wouldn't touch my nose because my nose is already perfect and that it's all in my mind. However, I'll ask another doctor and he will agree that my nose could use a little bit of work. Everyone has their own opinion about beauty and perfection.

I do think it shows more in person, but depends on angle. I didn't choose the "worst" picture as I wanted realistic opinions.
We really are our own worst critic, right? ;) But beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and that a doctor likes your nose, doesn't make you like your nose ultimately.

Last edited:
Although the picture you posted is helpful, something like this sort of needs before-and-after images in an effort to form an opinion. It's one thing to see an image of your eyes now, but it's another to have a comparison of how your eyes looked a few years ago. Know what I mean?
I think that your eyes look lovely, but I can certainly understand your concerns. We are always our own biggest critics. If you truly have concerns about your eyes, I would seek a second (or even third) opinion from a certified plastic surgeon.

I know what you mean - I don't really have some for much long ago, though, not at this moment.
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestion.

Ok I want to explain that I have the exact same problem but by looking at your picture yours look fine and you have no wrinkles yet so I would wait a bit. Now as my eyelids got droopier and heavier ( im 34) I noticed I've been raising my eyebrows more to compensate and this have created quite a few forehead wrinkles due to this which really bothers me. When I lift the excess skin up off my eyelids with my fingers it feels so much lighter and amazing. I'm going to contact a plastic surgeon soon to discuss a forehead/brow lift (endoscopic) to rid myself of the forehead wrinkles while lifting the eyelids. I've looked at countless before and afters and this is def the procedure I think I need. I would rather go this route then get Botox since I'm terrible with up keep and I also would rather pay now for one surgery then to keep going every 4-6 mos and paying hundreds for Botox

Update:
I did the botox treatment two days ago and I'm already feeling I'm lifting my brows a lot less because my eyebrows are feeling very heavy. (He said he'd totally numb my forehead, but the full effect can take up to 14 days, as you may know)
So luckily I'll get rid of the habit.
Thank you for advicing! :smile: