Goods or services?

missnicoleeee

Oct 14, 2011
Hi all! I'm renting a beach house for the weekend via vrbo.com and the seller as that I pay through PayPal. Since she will be sending me a "seller requests money" Would she mark this as goods or services? Also, would I be paying the fees or would the person renting their house pay the fees? Thanks

Good question, If she has done this before, how was it done? I think I used PP for a rental once too and cannot remember. Sorry!
Have fun!

OT I love using vrbo!

Hi! My question exactly!!!! -___- I emailed her asking for a "request" rather than me just sending it to her, and she didn't seem to know what it meant so I had to explain it to her... >_<

Can someone else help? :smile:

Hi all! I'm renting a beach house for the weekend via vrbo.com and the seller as that I pay through PayPal. Since she will be sending me a "seller requests money" Would she mark this as goods or services? Also, would I be paying the fees or would the person renting their house pay the fees? Thanks
A rental would be a service. Goods would be something tangible that the buyer would receive. For goods paid through paypal, you need to be able to prove to the buyer in the event of a dispute and with a rental, you'd lose -- no d.c.

A rental would be a service. Goods would be something tangible that the buyer would receive. For goods paid through paypal, you need to be able to prove to the buyer in the event of a dispute and with a rental, you'd lose -- no d.c.

Thank you so much! And as far as the fees go... Would I be paying them or would the renter pay them? The renter is asking that I pay them, but this is my first time renting and paying through paypal and am not familiar with it, so I haven't payed her yet.

Thank you so much! And as far as the fees go... Would I be paying them or would the renter pay them? The renter is asking that I pay them, but this is my first time renting and paying through paypal and am not familiar with it, so I haven't payed her yet.

The sender of money doesn't pay fees. They're (in effect) the buyer and there's no fee to a buyer (of goods or services).

You might want to calculate what the fees will be and adjust the rent to allow for them. I think they're approximately 3%.

The sender of money doesn't pay fees. They're (in effect) the buyer and there's no fee to a buyer (of goods or services).

You might want to calculate what the fees will be and adjust the rent to allow for them. I think they're approximately 3%.

Ah ok. So I'm putting 850 for a deposit to reserve the house.. The renter is asking I pay 877 to cover any fees. This is ok for her to do so?

Ugh! Wait a second. I misunderstood. I misread and thought you were the landlord.

Be careful. Unless you know the landlord and know she's trustworthy, you have no protection in paying for a service through p.p. If she takes the payment and absconds with the money and there's really no rental property, you're SOL.

I'm not even sure whether a credit card will protect you. Before sending her anything, check with your credit card company to see if you'll have any protection.

You might want to do a little research regarding rental scams just to know what questions to ask and make sure this is legit.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...ental-Scam/td-p/595793?profile.language=en-gb

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...m_Keysnews-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Have you seen the property?
Do you know that the landlord is the owner and has the right to rent it out?

Regarding PP fees, they are collected by Pay Pal from what the person receiving the money is paid.

This is a matter of what you consider a fair price for the rental and what the renter's final offer is. If the renter asks to increase the total amount you pay to account for the fees that will be assessed on him/her, then it is up to you to accept that or not.

As part of your contract with the renter you can increase the rental price to account for that fee if that is agreeable to you. Perhaps you can request the fees be split between both of you.

Hope you have a nice trip!

Ugh! Wait a second. I misunderstood. I misread and thought you were the landlord.

Be careful. Unless you know the landlord and know she's trustworthy, you have no protection in paying for a service through p.p. If she takes the payment and absconds with the money and there's really no rental property, you're SOL.

I'm not even sure whether a credit card will protect you. Before sending her anything, check with your credit card company to see if you'll have any protection.

You might want to do a little research regarding rental scams just to know what questions to ask and make sure this is legit.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Refunds-and-cancellations/Vacation-Rental-Scam/td-p/595793?profile.language=en-gb

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34345-i53-k4324975-Good_article_on_potential_rental_scams_frm_Keysnews-Key_West_Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Have you seen the property?
Do you know that the landlord is the owner and has the right to rent it out?

I haven't seen the property because it's in southern CA and I'm in Northern.. I have talked to the landlord/manager(she is a neighbor and is managing someone else's home) on the phone and exchanged many emails with her. She has sent me a contract. I also have the address, if I were to be paying with a personal check, to send it to.

Regarding a credit card, I would be using my bank card/ debit... Would that be ok? I don't have a useable credit card at the moment. Or should I just send her a personal check(her other form of payment)?

I have emailed regarding another house and the manager was the same as the one I am speaking to now. So I'm assuming she is managing 2 houses...

I don't know what to suggest. I'm not familiar with vrbo.com. I'm just advising caution because there are a lot of rental scams out there and when using paypal to pay for a service or by sending a check, it's like paying cash and you have no protection. Once they get your money, if they aren't legit, you can be out the money and not have a place to stay.

Google "rental scams" and "rental scams craigslist" and see if any of the scenarios match what you're experiencing.

Maybe someone who's familiar with vrbo can offer advice.

I don't know what to suggest. I'm not familiar with vrbo.com. I'm just advising caution because there are a lot of rental scams out there and when using paypal to pay for a service or by sending a check, it's like paying cash and you have no protection. Once they get your money, if they aren't legit, you can be out the money and not have a place to stay.

Google "rental scams" and "rental scams craigslist" and see if any of the scenarios match what you're experiencing.

Maybe someone who's familiar with vrbo can offer advice.

Thank you!! I'll do research tonight!!

I have always paid by credit card when using vrbo. And, honestly, I have not had any problems. I have used them and another site numerous times for vacation rentals. Not that that means anything. I generally have paid the deposit, then the balance a week or so before or when I arrive.

You could ask her if they accept HomeAway payments. I think they have a protection policy. http://www.homeaway.com/info/security?Travelers/Protection-Products I have never paid for a protection policy;I just know they are out there.

Good luck!