The opposite of a problem?

Eru

wants all the bags
Jan 14, 2013
So, as some of you know, I've been looking for a Natasha Petal to the Metal for some time. I really wanted one in black, but I kept missing them on ebay or they were selling for too much. Finally, last night/this morning I bid on and won a ribbon-lined cement one! It was a bit nerve-wracking because it's the most expensive bag I've ever bought ($229 with shipping--not much by many people's standards, but a lot by mine, since I recently graduated with my BS & MS in environmental science and am earning pennies, and that money could've been used for rent, student loans, camera equipment, fieldwork gear, art supplies, ahhhhh). As you can see from the photos, it has color transfer from jeans on it...if I can clean it (and I know lambskin is a strugg), it will have been totally worth it! If I can't, it will be a sad day.

2mqtf8j.jpg

10de3xu.jpg

2w73axx.jpg

More pictures when it actually arrives! Hopefully I'll be able to do a before and after if I can clean this sucker, :smile:

Anyway, I feel a bit guilty/bad about this, but also excited: My parents were on vacation in O'ahu and every day I swung by their place and brought in mail, fed the cats/changed the litter, shoveled the steps and sidewalk (snow!!), etc., and I guess they decided I deserved a present??? To put this into context, I only recently convinced my mom to stop wearing a fanny pack and she upgraded to the world's ugliest nylon? crossbody (I can't really describe it well, but she bought it at REI and it is definitely made for people who need to carry a small amount of stuff while hiking...). My parents are very frugal, so imagine my surprise when they handed me this when I picked them up from the airport:

nat1small_zps406a0a2a.jpg

nat2small_zps6b2a67a3.jpg

nat3small_zps1d60be30.jpg
nat5small_zps50632816.jpg

nat4small_zpsba7df3bd.jpg

(sorry about the motion blur on a couple...it is freezing out and I was shivering while holding the camera...lol fail)

MbMJ Petal to the Metal Natasha in cardamom! My mom got it on sale for $229 from a MbMJ store in Waikiki! I'm totally shocked--last time she spent that kind of money on a present was for the Magen David I wore at my bat mitzvah over a decade ago. There is nothing wrong with the bag at all, I guess it was just on some sale? Even though I don't love the textured birds (vs the non-textured ones), this is clearly a gorgeous bag.

From zero to two Marc by Marc Jacobs in the same day. I feel vaguely guilty but also excited. In one day, I've doubled my designer handbags--with two of the same style, lol (I have a little black vintage coach and a little black lauren ralph lauren crossbody...oh! actually I have the world's ugliest ferragamo, but it is terrible and doesn't count). Also, it is absurd that the used one and the NWT one cost the same amount.

Thanks, so stoked, :smile: I actually have a pair of flats with gold accents in the exact same color as the bag! (I also have a dress with gold accents in the same color, but even I know better than to wear the purse and dress together)

i LOVE the one that your parents got you!! Such beautiful, pebbly leather. I hope that you're able to get the colour transfer off the other bag. In my experience, once coloyr transfer happens - it's hard to reverse.

Congrats on your two new Mjs.

i LOVE the one that your parents got you!! Such beautiful, pebbly leather. I hope that you're able to get the colour transfer off the other bag. In my experience, once coloyr transfer happens - it's hard to reverse.

Congrats on your two new Mjs.

Fingers crossed. I'm hoping if I'm patient and apply apple leather cleaner (just ordered it) again and again, it will get at least a little better. And hopefully the bag will look a bit better in real life--looks so sad and deflated in those photos.

And thanks for the compliments--I am shocked my mom picked so well, tbh (this is a lady who orders all her clothes from Lands End and is a size six, but still wears the same clothes she wore when she was a size 14). :smile:

When you get a chance, maybe take it to a professional who offers such services as leather restoration? Like so: http://www.margarets.com/pulito_purse_cleaning.htm

I LOVE the color of that new bag though. It's just so rich. The textured birds are nice too; they lend more weight to the bag as a whole than the smooth ones. Congratulations!

Thanks for the link! I've been googling around to try to find people who can professionally clean handbags, so I will definitely contact those people too once the bag arrives. I don't want to break the bank cleaning it, but if I can find a professional who can clean it for a reasonable price, that would definitely be the preferred option! :smile:

The one my parents got is so pretty, took her out for a spin last night, :smile: I wish they'd come home one day earlier, and then I would've not bought the one on ebay. Still, I have high hopes for making the cement one beautiful, :smile:

Man, I am reading through dozens of old threads and can't decide whether I should waterproof this bag with apple guard. I know Marc Jacobs officially says not to use products on their bags (and even apple guard says it's not for unfinished leather, I think?)...but it just seems like spraying a bag is always a good idea. I got caught out in an unexpected rainstorm yesterday and had to shove my bag into my clothes and make a dash for it so it wouldn't get rained on.

What a lucky gal! Did your mom know that was the one you were eyeing?

They are two different types of leather, one smooth, the other pebbled and I think it's great having the same model in different colors. I like to change out my MJ Stam colors depending on my mood. I have a Stam that has metallic rub-off and I wear that with my denims for the distressed look.

I have a feeling you might cherish your parent's gift enough to just use that one exclusively :smile: