Tiffany Platinum Chain - adding jump ring

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience with adding jump ring to a platinum chain at Tiffany?

I recently purchased the Victoria Pendant (1.00 tcw), which comes with a 16" chain attached to the pendant. I requested the chain to be lengthened to 18" and have a jump ring added at 16", so I can wear it in two different lengths. My SA didn't waive the service charge and it costs $75 to get it done. What is even more upsetting is that, when it was delivered to me today, the jump ring is poorly finished; it resembles a warped oval, with the site where the two ends were merged together clearing visible.

In the past, Cartier and Van Cleef have added jump rings to chains for me free of charge. The jump rings have always come out perfectly. Am I being unrealistic to compare Tiffany's workmanship to Cartier's and Van Cleef's?

This is what I get when I google jumping ring jewelry

Attachments

• OMH-wholesale-0-7X8mm-1100pcs-Jewelry-accessories-DIY-circle-mixed-Plated-Open-Metal-Jumping-Rin.jpg
    OMH-wholesale-0-7X8mm-1100pcs-Jewelry-accessories-DIY-circle-mixed-Plated-Open-Metal-Jumping-Rin.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 1,204
Hi Wendy, what is a jump ring? ta

Just an additional ring put into the chain so the chain can be worn different length.

To OP, if you are not happy, you should ask them to redo it. But because this one is lengthen a chain, I doubt very much they would have done it for free in the first place because they have to use more gold to get the chain lengthened. But they still should have done a good job.

Tiffany has lengthened 2 chains for me at no charge....this was handled by the customer service ladies within the store. Same store also replaced the end ball and heart tag that fell off my Tiffany key chain at no charge.

Of course there's been numerous times I have paid for work as well....so hard to say why sometimes there is a charge and sometimes not.
Regardless, if you are not happy with the work...you need to have them redo it for you (at no additional charge)

Just an additional ring put into the chain so the chain can be worn different length.

To OP, if you are not happy, you should ask them to redo it. But because this one is lengthen a chain, I doubt very much they would have done it for free in the first place because they have to use more gold to get the chain lengthened. But they still should have done a good job.

Thanks xiangxiang07! I will ask them rework the jump ring. Both Cartier and Van Cleef have added up to 2" for me free of charge. I just didn't know what to expect from Tiffany.

Tiffany has lengthened 2 chains for me at no charge....this was handled by the customer service ladies within the store. Same store also replaced the end ball and heart tag that fell off my Tiffany key chain at no charge.

Of course there's been numerous times I have paid for work as well....so hard to say why sometimes there is a charge and sometimes not.
Regardless, if you are not happy with the work...you need to have them redo it for you (at no additional charge)

Thanks KristineNaj! It is a very frustrating experience. Like you mentioned, the Tiffany SAs are very inconsistent with their fees. With this particular SA at SCP, she insisted that it is their policy to charge $65 for lengthening 2" of platinum chain and $10 for the jump ring. She even checked with another SA before we proceeded.

Do you request to have the fee waived when you are asked to pay for work done at Tiffany? SAs at Cartier and Van Cleef would offer to waive the fee even before I get the chance to ask.

I would go back and have it redone and I would also ask why you were charged. There should not have been a charge for a platinum chain.

Thanks ame! I would definitely take your advice and ask to have it redone.

It is common practice for a platinum piece at Tiffany to be lengthened without additional charge? I wonder if I would need to speak with a manager.

Thanks KristineNaj! It is a very frustrating experience. Like you mentioned, the Tiffany SAs are very inconsistent with their fees. With this particular SA at SCP, she insisted that it is their policy to charge $65 for lengthening 2" of platinum chain and $10 for the jump ring. She even checked with another SA before we proceeded.

Do you request to have the fee waived when you are asked to pay for work done at Tiffany? SAs at Cartier and Van Cleef would offer to waive the fee even before I get the chance to ask.
Interestingly, I have NEVER had a SA offer to waive a fee....it has always been the gals back in the customer service/repair department. It has been in cases where I bought a pendant on a chain and then decided it was too short...and they were the type that you could not swap out the chains, i.e initial. etc. I think my next purchase of a pendant, which will most likely require a lengthening of a chain I am going to say, "before I purchase, can we check with the gals in customer service if they will waive the fee" or some crap like that. I mean I am by no means their best customer...but I have spent a fair amount of money in this store....all in all this particular store HAS been good to me.

Interestingly, I have NEVER had a SA offer to waive a fee....it has always been the gals back in the customer service/repair department. It has been in cases where I bought a pendant on a chain and then decided it was too short...and they were the type that you could not swap out the chains, i.e initial. etc. I think my next purchase of a pendant, which will most likely require a lengthening of a chain I am going to say, "before I purchase, can we check with the gals in customer service if they will waive the fee" or some crap like that. I mean I am by no means their best customer...but I have spent a fair amount of money in this store....all in all this particular store HAS been good to me.

Thank you for the info! I really appreciate it. Next time I will ask the SA to check with customer service. I was in a hurry when I made this purchase. Looking back I should have been more persistent about getting the fee waived.

I own several Tiffany diamond pendants in platinum. I had been informed by one of the SAs that they can add up to 3 inches free of charge. Anyway, I added jump rings and an inch to two of my pendants. I did them a few months after I purchased my pendants and the ladies at the customer service counter did not ask me to pay for them.

I am very happy with one of them but on the second one, the end of the chain that links to the jump ring is a bit tight. I just got it back and I think they did not do such a great job. Anyway, I am not complaining as Tiffany did not charge me. BTW, these two pendants of mine are less expensive than your Victoria. If I were you, I would go back and have Tiffany fix it and refund you the fee. Good luck and keep us posted.

Can you post a pic of your beautiful pendant?