What to Keep? MJ Faridah or Botkier Sophie?

Smokehouse

Mar 29, 2007
SIGH....I have both of these bags sitting in my office right now, the MJ Faridah in Chalk and the Large Botkier Sophie Tote.

The Large Sophie Tote ($695, but $555 with code) has a much better grade of leather...super soft and very classy, is roomier and a bit more elegant.

The MJ Faridah ($400) has rough leather, a bit more on the casual side, a bit heavier, and kinda looks soccer mom-ish.

On one hand, people will definitely recognize the brand MJ, while Botkier is a bit more obscure. I tend to be more of an obscure person, but I'm falling rapidly in love with the MJ. Help me think this through!!!

Attachments

• botki1004416924_347x683b.jpg
    botki1004416924_347x683b.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 161
That's a toughie. I generally prefer Botkier - it's one of my favorite lines - but I'm not a big fan of that particular design. Hmmm. It looks like the MJ is a shoulder bag and the Botkier is not, so I think it might come down to how you want to use this particular bag. The MJ looks more practical and user friendly to me.

One thing that I'd consider is the color of the bag-white is a tough one to carry around as your everyday bag. I have a Carlos Falchi white pebbled leather Drs. Bag and it gets dirty very easily! Aside from that-I like them both.:yes:

Personally, I find a shoulder bag more user friendly. Do the MJ pockets open with a magnet or do you have to undo the rings to open? If you have to undo the rings, then the Botkier, hands down!!!

Personally, I find a shoulder bag more user friendly. Do the MJ pockets open with a magnet or do you have to undo the rings to open? If you have to undo the rings, then the Botkier, hands down!!!

The MJ pockets open with a magnet. The rings are just for looks.

I just checked for the MJ Faridah in chalk online, and every single site is sold out of them, and now I don't want to return it. However, the Sophie is still around.

Makes me want to keep both. :confused1:

One last thing: check the sides of the strap on the mj. If the sides of the straps have little cracks and peels, keep the botkier; if not, I'd keep the mj (its' a great looking bag)!

One last thing: check the sides of the strap on the mj. If the sides of the straps have little cracks and peels, keep the botkier; if not, I'd keep the mj (its' a great looking bag)!

Okay.. I checked. It has slightly more wrinkles than the rest of the bag, but no cracks or peels.

Why? What happened? Did someone's fall apart at the part of the strap?

Well, I had the softie and it had that problem. When I returned it to Bloomingdales, I checked the other softie bags and most of them had the problem also. I love marc by marc jacobs bags and haven't spotted that problem on any other of his lines so that's why I wanted you to check your bag. If the strap is good, magnets on pockets, goes on shoulder comfortably, it sounds like a winner to me! ENJOY!!