GST - strap ring discolored

Cyu511

Dec 14, 2010
Hi, I've received my new GST beige -GHW and I've noticed that there's a blackish color on the stitches. Rub against the hardware?? but this is brand new. Any of you have seen this before?

image-989387901.jpg

image-231930812.jpg

image-3200940299.jpg

Doesn't look like glue though. Seems like the hardware rub against the strap ring and created this blackish stain on the stitches. The hardware shouldn't not cause any stain otherwise getting a lighter color would not be a such a good idea.

Hi, I've received my new GST beige -GHW and I've noticed that there's a blackish color on the stitches. Rub against the hardware?? but this is brand new. Any of you have seen this before?

View attachment 2037651
View attachment 2037652
View attachment 2037653

There is a tad bit of discoloration on the strap in the 2nd photo, on the stitching and the strap itself (or is it the lighting?). I'm sorry as I don't have the GST in beige, so I can say. How noticeable is it when not looking so close up? See if the bit on the strap rubs off with a soft cloth, if it's really there.

The same thing happened with my white gst. After only a few months of very light use the rings started to tarnish and leave marks. I took mine back to NM and they sent it out to have them changed and the stitches cleaned up. It's a really annoying issue though and I didn't expect it to happen with Chanel.

This is common to happen on lighter colored GST, PTT, PST... due to design of the rings basically. The ring constantly rubs against the grommet which means metal scratching against metal, and over time the metal residue will show on light colored leather. I wouldn't think we should see it on a brand new bag but perhaps the bag has been handled a little bit? It can be cleaned, but the marks will happen eventually and if they might bother you it would be best to go for dark colors in these styles.

By the way my sister had an LV Galleria bag which had similar ring design and it did the same thing to the top edges of the bag.

This is common to happen on lighter colored GST, PTT, PST... due to design of the rings basically. The ring constantly rubs against the grommet which means metal scratching against metal, and over time the metal residue will show on light colored leather. I wouldn't think we should see it on a brand new bag but perhaps the bag has been handled a little bit? It can be cleaned, but the marks will happen eventually and if they might bother you it would be best to go for dark colors in these styles.

By the way my sister had an LV Galleria bag which had similar ring design and it did the same thing to the top edges of the bag.

Yeah, I've returned it. I'm in the hunt for red with shw or black with ghw. I have the galleria, lv actually fix the problem by putting a thin layer of clear plastic on the ring. So it won't rub against the handle.

Hi! Sorry the beige didn't work out. I see you're looking for a red. I was at Chanel in NYC city today checking out new stock and they have a red GST. I didn't notice a black, but they had a lot of stock, so you could call them to ask. I don't think they typically display the black since it's a classic item, and all the boutiques are pushing and displaying the seasonal colors, but I bet there is a black in the back.

Lots of stock at the Chanel boutique... their back sliding shelves were open and the walls were loaded with bags.

Good luck!

Oh... I was there about 4:30pm, and the red was still there, so if you want to grab it, they open at 10:00am.

Hi! Sorry the beige didn't work out. I see you're looking for a red. I was at Chanel in NYC city today checking out new stock and they have a red GST. I didn't notice a black, but they had a lot of stock, so you could call them to ask. I don't think they typically display the black since it's a classic item, and all the boutiques are pushing and displaying the seasonal colors, but I bet there is a black in the back.

Lots of stock at the Chanel boutique... their back sliding shelves were open and the walls were loaded with bags.

Good luck!

Oh... I was there about 4:30pm, and the red was still there, so if you want to grab it, they open at 10:00am.

Thanks willeyi. I've called SF boutique. They can order one for me. They only have red with shw.

Thanks willeyi. I've called SF boutique. They can order one for me. They only have red with shw.

Awesome; does that mean you will get a red with ghw? Sweet! :smile: Can't wait to see photos!

ETA: I read it wrong, and thought they only had red with silver but are getting red with gold, which I know isn't on the list for 13P (pardon my brain, as I have RED on it through and through)

Last edited: