Chanel Label, a dying brand?

Flyboy2

Apr 21, 2012
I had been thinking of this for a while now, and am thinking it may just be a matter of time before we see the Chanel bags be a thing of the past. Why you might ask? Well one the fact that Coco has been gone for over 30 years almost 40 now, Karl is not getting any younger (he will be turning 80 this year) and the fact that most designers want there own labels. I am wondering who is going to be the next to take over the brand? To me in the next 10 - 20 years I see the Chanel label disappearing at least most of the bag's, I think the clothing line and probably the makeup - Cologne will hang around for a while but, I don't see the bag's being around, why? My feeling is they are either 1. going to be sold to another company or bought out. I don't think the current owners of the Chanel label really care anymore (if you read the history of Chanel you will find there was a huge fight over the name and ownership) Since Madam Chanel didn't have a family the label name went to a German family (they where big on the cologne) I really think Hèrmes is going to over take Chanel in the future as well as Louis Vuitton and Prada will be strong as well as Gucci. I think the big designers are going to branch out on there own, specially if the reality shows such as Project Runway ect are still on TV. The big name's in time I have a feeling are going to start disappearing and you will find newer names come into the picture.

what do you all think? and what are some of your idea's?

I can't see the Chanel name being retired any time soon. The name is very lucrative -- and very successful.

A new designer will take over, once Karl Lagerfeld retires.

I can't see the Chanel name being retired any time soon. The name is very lucrative -- and very successful.

A new designer will take over, once Karl Lagerfeld retires.
I didn't say the name as being retired just the bag division, As to Karl retiring I am surprised he hasn't, I wonder if there is a much younger name out there? Is Karl still doing designs? At his age I would think by now he would step down and let someone even half his age take over. I think the designs need to go in a different direction from looking at the runway's (clothing) I am seeing so many styles of the 60's starting to make a come back.

What's in will go up and down, even classic flaps.

If you may recall, Chanel was hot in the 1980s era of flash and gold chains. Then the 1990s brought in minimalism and only old ladies carried the flaps. Younger hip people wouldn't even touch anything with a gold chain.

Chanel is hot now, but fashion is cyclic. For a true fashionista, she may once again have to store her flaps, but it will come back.

Seasonal bags in my opinion are short-lived. They will stand the test of time. Who remembers the Cambon? Very dated now, even though it still flashes a CC logo.

My humble opinion.

You are so true, I remember the different purses my Grandmother had in her 90 years on this earth everything from very small bags to huge bags that could hold everything. I see small simple bags at some point coming back, although in a lot of the stores today I have seen very big bags being the in thing. I have several sizes from very small clutches to my Gia bag that can pretty much hold all my other bags. I still love the classic flaps (I own 3)

willeyi said:
What's in will go up and down, even classic flaps.

If you may recall, Chanel was hot in the 1980s era of flash and gold chains. Then the 1990s brought in minimalism and only old ladies carried the flaps. Younger hip people wouldn't even touch anything with a gold chain.

Chanel is hot now, but fashion is cyclic. For a true fashionista, she may once again have to store her flaps, but it will come back.

Seasonal bags in my opinion are short-lived. They will stand the test of time. Who remembers the Cambon? Very dated now, even though it still flashes a CC logo.

My humble opinion.

Meant to say seasonal bags WON'T stand the test of time. Sorry. Fat fingers.

Flyboy2 said:
You are so true, I remember the different purses my Grandmother had in her 90 years on this earth everything from very small bags to huge bags that could hold everything. I see small simple bags at some point coming back, although in a lot of the stores today I have seen very big bags being the in thing. I have several sizes from very small clutches to my Gia bag that can pretty much hold all my other bags. I still love the classic flaps (I own 3)

Exactly! Chanel is about being high end fashionable. The decade will come when we all have to store out Chanel bags for a while. :smile:
Not yet Though!

I also remember when those Prada nylon bags were the IT bag... No one wanted to wear a Chanel with the cheesy gold chain!

I think Chanel will always be around. They're one of the most iconic brands of all time and I think the classic houses set a standard for all new designers to aspire to.

I agree that certain brands fluctuate with their time in the spotlight (for instance, 2010 was like Balmain-apalooza) but when a house is as old as Chanel and as reputable I don't think that they necessarily need the trend periods as much as newer designers. People will always come back to Chanel, YSL, Dior, etc because of their legacies of beautiful work that have made them legendary

I think Chanel will always be around. They're one of the most iconic brands of all time and I think the classic houses set a standard for all new designers to aspire to.

I agree that certain brands fluctuate with their time in the spotlight (for instance, 2010 was like Balmain-apalooza) but when a house is as old as Chanel and as reputable I don't think that they necessarily need the trend periods as much as newer designers. People will always come back to Chanel, YSL, Dior, etc because of their legacies of beautiful work that have made them legendary

I totally agree with you, however as you mentioned YSL, Dior, Chanel all the original designers are dead (Dior in the 50's, Chanel 70's and YSL 08) the question that comes into mind is can people continue there designs well into the future? Dior I believe had family that took over the house or he had someone that worked for him and continued the name (I believe it was YSL who then made his own label) but what is going to happen down the road when someone can't keep up the designs? At some point (maybe not in our life times) someone is going to want to stop and do something else you can already see it with the YSL label as it is now known as SL dropping off the Y.

I wanted to add that the Dior house almost collapsed after his death, his house almost didn't survive after his death till someone was able to step in and bring back the house and collections up and running.

I didn't say the name as being retired just the bag division, As to Karl retiring I am surprised he hasn't, I wonder if there is a much younger name out there? Is Karl still doing designs? At his age I would think by now he would step down and let someone even half his age take over. I think the designs need to go in a different direction from looking at the runway's (clothing) I am seeing so many styles of the 60's starting to make a come back.

The bag division is exceedingly lucrative. Can't see this being retired at all.

There's been a lot of discussion re: Karl Lagerfeld's successor. Names that have been floated include Lanvin's designer and Marc Jacobs. We'll see.

According to Chanel publicity, Karl very much designs for the runway. And, apparently, the RTW division is still a huge money maker for the line.

No, "classics" are so named for their staying power through trends.

I wonder too, when the economy is depressed, if people don't feel more secure with a strong, historical brand as Chanel.

The bag division is exceedingly lucrative. Can't see this being retired at all.

There's been a lot of discussion re: Karl Lagerfeld's successor. Names that have been floated include Lanvin's designer and Marc Jacobs. We'll see.

According to Chanel publicity, Karl very much designs for the runway. And, apparently, the RTW division is still a huge money maker for the line.

I doubt that Marc Jacob's would take the job as he has his own label's and designs for LV. I am surprised that Karl still designs as his time is now borrowed given his advanced age. who know's I guess time will tell.

I doubt that Marc Jacob's would take the job as he has his own label's and designs for LV. I am surprised that Karl still designs as his time is now borrowed given his advanced age. who know's I guess time will tell.

MJ has always been a huge admirer of Chanel, though (many of his own designs are intentionally referential to Chanel) and he was almost rumoured to be leaving LV last year. Karl L. maintains his own label, as well as designing for Chanel, so I don't think that any designer taking up the Chanel job would necessarily have to give up his/her own label.