Folowing "Give your Mulberry away on Ebay"................

greenshanks

Mar 14, 2011
Following my post about a request I had to give my bag away on Ebay.............:biggrin: I have now been asked If I will accept a return for a bag I sold because they have changed their mind.:graucho:

I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation or how you Ladies would react.

I have a fulltime demanding job and between juggling this and family, lead a very hectic life with not much free time..............................so I always clearly state I dont take returns for obvious reasons.

I am not a business seller nor would I want to be!!!! I just very occasionally advertise a mulberry when I feel its time for a change..............................................but am rapidly coming to the conclusion it really can be more hassle than its worth.

Ebay is a nightmare for this sort of thing. Unfortunately, it's a buyers marker and if you say no you risk negative feedback.

I would politely explain you are not a business, but a private seller and unless the bag was not as described or damaged in any way unfortunately you are not in a position to accept a return. Stand your ground if you really don't want it back, but if she kicks up a fuss it might be more hassle than you want.

Good luck with it.

I had this recently. Someone asking if they could buy the bag and use it a couple of times and see if it suits them and then return it if it doesn't! It is crazy. But at least they asked me I suppose, i sold a brand new bayswater to a woman who then opened a dispute saying it was not as described as it was a sbs i had sent?! Ebay told her to return it which she did to me, it had been used and there was a pen mark on it that was not there before. Unfortunately selling bags on ebay is so risky as ebay will usually side with the buyer and if you have a dishonest buyer it is a nightmare...

I had this recently. Someone asking if they could buy the bag and use it a couple of times and see if it suits them and then return it if it doesn't! It is crazy. But at least they asked me I suppose, i sold a brand new bayswater to a woman who then opened a dispute saying it was not as described as it was a sbs i had sent?! Ebay told her to return it which she did to me, it had been used and there was a pen mark on it that was not there before. Unfortunately selling bags on ebay is so risky as ebay will usually side with the buyer and if you have a dishonest buyer it is a nightmare...

Oh i agree it just takes one dishonest buyer and it becomes a nightmare....................shame there are so many that spol what it's all about

To return it used like that is awful

I have stuck to my guns and not accepted the return but her emails have got nastier and nastier..................

What an unpleasant place Ebay can be:graucho:

Oh Ebay is horrible at times. I wonder how long time do a buyer have after they recived an item to make a complaint?
If I do sell a bag and they have it for 14 days and during that time they use it so it looks like crap and then return it? It that really possible? Some bags would prob have lost their 1/2 value if they are mistreated for 14 days...!

Last edited:
Oh i agree it just takes one dishonest buyer and it becomes a nightmare....................shame there are so many that spol what it's all about

I have stuck to my guns and not accepted the return but her emails have got nastier and nastier..................

Thats is horrible! Hope she will come to her senses and stop!

Following my post about a request I had to give my bag away on Ebay.............:biggrin: I have now been asked If I will accept a return for a bag I sold because they have changed their mind.:graucho:

I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation or how you Ladies would react.

I have a fulltime demanding job and between juggling this and family, lead a very hectic life with not much free time..............................so I always clearly state I dont take returns for obvious reasons.

I am not a business seller nor would I want to be!!!! I just very occasionally advertise a mulberry when I feel its time for a change..............................................but am rapidly coming to the conclusion it really can be more hassle than its worth.
I wouldnt accept it that easily and would fight to the death.
I havent had any situations like this as yet.
If my bag was returned damaged like Sue's i would not issue a refund and would complain it is really unfair when this happens and ebay should see it from the sellers point of view as well and not refund for just a change of mind.
You have been very unlucky and i hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Ebay is a nightmare for this sort of thing. Unfortunately, it's a buyers marker and if you say no you risk negative feedback.

I would politely explain you are not a business, but a private seller and unless the bag was not as described or damaged in any way unfortunately you are not in a position to accept a return. Stand your ground if you really don't want it back, but if she kicks up a fuss it might be more hassle than you want.

Good luck with it.

Hmm, I wouldn't tell the buyer that if its not as described or damaged then you would accept a return. My cynical head says they will either make up some imaginary fault or deliberately damage your bag, eBay will then find in their favour and you end up back with a damaged bag!!
But then I don't trust people generally...

I always say no returns but from my experience if the buyer opens a dispute, ebay always tell them to return it anyway.

Good luck

I think if you have emails from the buyer saying they have changed their minds that will help your case with ebay, it shows that she is not saying there is anything wrong but just wants a refund. i would definitely fight this!

If the buyer has confirmed that she has simply changed her mind, that it not a justifiable cause for returning a bag to a seller.

Keep all emails, that one in particular, to send to Ebay should the need arise.

Hmm, I wouldn't tell the buyer that if its not as described or damaged then you would accept a return. My cynical head says they will either make up some imaginary fault or deliberately damage your bag, eBay will then find in their favour and you end up back with a damaged bag!!
But then I don't trust people generally...

Totally agree......................Ebay really need to to start looking at it from both sides and view each case on it's merits. All they do at the moment is immediately favor the buyer

The fact that sellers have to take all this BS and still can't even leave bad feedback shows how unjust the system is. :cursing:

Oh I hate this, nasty emails and damaging bags....this is what scares me about eBay. I have a couple of Mulbs I am thinking of parting with and of course I thought I'd sell them on eBay but I'm so worried about it having also had a bad buying experiences myself (fake Mulb but luckily got a refund).....

.......I hope you manage to sort this out...

Totally agree......................Ebay really need to to start looking at it from both sides and view each case on it's merits. All they do at the moment is immediately favor the buyer

The fact that sellers have to take all this BS and still can't even leave bad feedback shows how unjust the system is. :cursing:

I hate that seller can't leave feedback but a dishonest buyer who has behaved inappropriately can damage your feedback. When i last spoke to ebay as i was worried about getting negative feedback from an awful buyer who had been so nasty, i was told you can ask for it to be removed and they look at the communication if it was through the messaging system and see if it is justified! Not sure if that is the case, but hope it is.