Worst experience ever

ssicaa

O.G.
Apr 21, 2012
Today, I bought my first Chanel at Saks. The SA was sooo nice and I definitely planned on buying more from this person... I couldn't be happier at that point.

So I opened a Saks card to get the 10% off... I was approved but the price of my bag was greater than the max on my card. So the SA kindly let me pay the remainder with my personal credit card.

I was told that I could use the 10% on other purchases using my personal credit card so I decided to check out the makeup counter... and decided to buy something there. As the makeup SAs were ringing me up, they told me I couldn't get the 10% anymore since my limit was used. They called the store manager and this is when things got so bad.

She told me to give her my receipt for my Chanel purchase because she said I could only get 10% on the max on my card. She wanted to check if I was charged correctly - which I believe I was since the Chanel manager approved the sale. She was causing such a big scene at this point. When I refused, she said out loud "So you want to get out of here quickly cause you got a great deal." in the most snooty way possible. (Oh yeah.. I would've had to pay 100$ more...call me a discount thief... wtf, 100$ is not that much compared to how much I paid for the bag.. it wouldnt have mattered if I paid that or not)..

Everyone stared at me - she treated me like a criminal.. me, a paying customer. I was so humiliated. So to shut her up, I gave her my receipt.

I've never been so humiliated or treated like a worthless person in my life. Now, every time I look at the bag I think of that experience... I think I may wanna return it.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but you said the Chanel SA was wonderful so don't let this other rude SA get you down on your bag. If you love your bag don't return it. It only takes away the commission from the nice SA that helped you, it doesn't do anything to the rude makeup department SA or the other manager who was rude to you. Maybe you can go above that manager to complain?

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but you said the Chanel SA was wonderful so don't let this other rude SA get you down on your bag. If you love your bag don't return it. It only takes away the commission from the nice SA that helped you, it doesn't do anything to the rude makeup department SA or the other manager who was rude to you. Maybe you can go above that manager to complain?
what's unbelievable is that was the saks store manager! I just hope my SA doesn't get in any sort of trouble... :sad:

what's unbelievable is that was the saks store manager! I just hope my SA doesn't get in any sort of trouble... :sad:

Perhaps you should contact Saks corporate and explain what happened to you, how you feel, how you are thinking of returning the bag--ALL due to how you were treated by this one person. I think they will listen and help.

So sorry you were treated this way by this manager, especially when you were so happy and had your first Chanel. Don't let her ruin it for you; your SA was nice. Try to associate your feelings with the makeup and not the bag. One rude manager shouldn't ruin your bag experience.

Perhaps you should contact Saks corporate and explain what happened to you, how you feel, how you are thinking of returning the bag--ALL due to how you were treated by this one person. I think they will listen and help.

So sorry you were treated this way by this manager, especially when you were so happy and had your first Chanel. Don't let her ruin it for you; your SA was nice. Try to associate your feelings with the makeup and not the bag. One rude manager shouldn't ruin your bag experience.

I agree with tutushopper. You should contact Saks and tell them what happened. They should be aware of the treatment you received. It is absolutely unacceptable that a store manager should be allowed to treat a customer in this manner and not be reprimanded. I think after you are able to voice your grievances, you will be able to leave the negative association behind you. After all, your purchase experience with the Chanel SA was wonderful.

thnks all... ive decided to exchange the bag... i just cant look at it... i decided to get the GST instead

maybe i can associate the new bag with a happier feeling... and hopefully the store manager wont be there then to screw it up again

yes definitely. I plan on calling tomorrow and asking if everything is okay too... will update you guys!

Sorry that you had this negative experience at the end of your transaction. I do want to share with you that CHANEL at the corporate level has really cracked down on department stores and the promotions they can run on chanel products. In fact, your lovely SA may not be aware that she is not allowed any longer to give the 10% discount on any chanel products. you are allowed to take advantage of the discount in many other areas of the store, but not on chanel, louis vuitton etc. Saks does not control this rule, but was given direct orders forbidding the discount. Many changes have taken place in recent months too such as the SAs are forbidden to photograph chanel products to email their clients etc.... Chanel also does not participate in electronic gift card events either. I do hope you can still enjoy your gorgeous bag and put the negative experience behind you. Best wishes!

Sorry that you had this negative experience at the end of your transaction. I do want to share with you that CHANEL at the corporate level has really cracked down on department stores and the promotions they can run on chanel products. In fact, your lovely SA may not be aware that she is not allowed any longer to give the 10% discount on any chanel products. you are allowed to take advantage of the discount in many other areas of the store, but not on chanel, louis vuitton etc. Saks does not control this rule, but was given direct orders forbidding the discount. Many changes have taken place in recent months too such as the SAs are forbidden to photograph chanel products to email their clients etc.... Chanel also does not participate in electronic gift card events either. I do hope you can still enjoy your gorgeous bag and put the negative experience behind you. Best wishes!
thanks for letting me know - i wasnt aware of that. its weird but it seemed that the store manager didnt either. she said nothing about why the discount was applied, only that it shouldnt have been applied to my whole purchase...?

thanks for letting me know - i wasnt aware of that. its weird but it seemed that the store manager didnt either. she said nothing about why the discount was applied, only that it shouldnt have been applied to my whole purchase...?[/QUOTE

Definitely not communicated properly or respectfully... but I do sincerely hope that u will keep and enjoy your lovely bag! Best wishes to you!:smile:

ssicaa said:
thanks for letting me know - i wasnt aware of that. its weird but it seemed that the store manager didnt either. she said nothing about why the discount was applied, only that it shouldnt have been applied to my whole purchase...?

I'm sorry for what happened! My SA told me that the policy has recently changed and indeed the 10% can only be applied to charges that are made to your Saks card only :sad:

While it is probably more important to be able to enjoy your purchase than to save money, just a reminder that any exchange you do may void your 10% discount so please think carefully before you do it ~

I was told that the 10% discount can only apply to your approved credit amount. In my experience, i bought a jumbo at $4900 but I was only approved with a Saks account limit of $4000. The SA told me I can only get $400 discount instead of $490 but my SA was nice enough to talk to his manager and allowed me to get my full 10% off of $490. It is def. something to make on a case by case basis and I think it might be harder to get an exception esp. you are making other purchase with another department when you already max. out on your Saks account limit. Maybe it would have been easier if you have your org. SA ring up all your purchases at once (including cosmetics)....Sorry to hear your horrible experience.

I've been a SFA cardholder for over 30 years and I can definitely say that the shopping experience there can sometimes be less than desired. It annoys me that SA are more concerned with their commission as opposed to providing good customer service. Our local store is empty; I see people browsing but few buying. My friends and I only look at the shoes and handbags, clothing is strictly out of the question.

This is why I value the online shopping experience at SFA because I can order and return items at my discretion without affecting a SA's comission. Of course, I'm not talking about Chanel items! I'm very careful when considering that type of purchase due to the guilt I feel but, heck, it's my money so as long as I return the item is a timely fashion I don't feel bad.

EDIT: I was mistaken... She was NOT the store manager but just a manager for a department... (not even a Chanel manager)..

But I went back to Chanel the next day, and the Chanel manager said the 10% off the entire purchase was allowed. She and the Chanel staff were extremely kind.. and even said I could get 10% if I exchange.. unfortunately, they didnt have what I wanted (this experience took me off flap bags :sad:...) ... BUT i definitely plan to go back and make sure to buy from my SA the next time, w/o the discount...

But Ill update on the makeup counter manager situation