Your first designer piece: what was it, how old were you, do you still have it?

Jan 17, 2013
What was your first designer piece?

What was it?
How old were you when you got it?
Was it a treasured gift or a splurge you saved for?
Was it love at first sight?

I'm in my teens and have yet to own a stunning designer anything. A pair of vintage Prada's and a coach bag from the 90's, sure, but nothing compared to the Chanel bag of my dreams (Reissue 2.55!) or the Louboutin's I'm thinking about saving up for (Lady Peep, in nude or black). Anywho, tell my your stories! :smile:

Don't know if these brands count, but I'm lucky (or unlucky) enough to have a mom who's obsessed with everything Coach, so I got my first bag at ~10. Then it was a new bag from Coach every birthday and Christmas until I was about 16 or 17, when I started picking out my own gifts. Then I started in on brands like Kate Spade, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Botkier, etc. haha. Now I'm in my later teens and have my own income so I'm saving up for a Prada (dream bag!).

Edit: I loved some of the bags I got as gifts from my parents, but the majority were too trendy to last and now sit unused in my closet. I do have an amazing messenger bag from Coach that I use to this day, though.

What was it? A pair of chanel ballet flats
How old were you when you got it? 13
Was it a treasured gift or a splurge you saved for? A treasured gift, a friend of my mothers did not want them as they were slightly too small for her
Was it love at first sight? YES i ADORE THEM so sad they broke after years of wear :sad:

Don't have it yet but my first will be a Mulberry Alexa and Mulberry Antony.

The Alexa will be a 21st birthday present from my parents and I will buy my Antony with some money my Grandmother left me for my birthday (she died May last year).

I go and visit the bags when ever I am in a department store- so yes, I love them. :P

Don't know if these brands count, but I'm lucky (or unlucky) enough to have a mom who's obsessed with everything Coach, so I got my first bag at ~10. Then it was a new bag from Coach every birthday and Christmas until I was about 16 or 17, when I started picking out my own gifts. Then I started in on brands like Kate Spade, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Botkier, etc. haha. Now I'm in my later teens and have my own income so I'm saving up for a Prada (dream bag!).

Edit: I loved some of the bags I got as gifts from my parents, but the majority were too trendy to last and now sit unused in my closet. I do have an amazing messenger bag from Coach that I use to this day, though.

That's so fun. :smile: It must have been fun to enjoy your trendy bags while they were still trendy! Maybe they'll come back in style? It's awesome that you have your messenger bag, though. :smile: Good luck saving up for your dream Prada bag! Be sure to post pics when you do, I LOVE Prada!

What was it? A pair of chanel ballet flats
How old were you when you got it? 13
Was it a treasured gift or a splurge you saved for? A treasured gift, a friend of my mothers did not want them as they were slightly too small for her
Was it love at first sight? YES i ADORE THEM so sad they broke after years of wear :sad:

They sound like a dream come true! Except for the breaking part :sad:

Don't have it yet but my first will be a Mulberry Alexa and Mulberry Antony.

The Alexa will be a 21st birthday present from my parents and I will buy my Antony with some money my Grandmother left me for my birthday (she died May last year).

I go and visit the bags when ever I am in a department store- so yes, I love them. :P

I am so jealous you're getting the Alexa! That's such a cool bag. I mean, duh, it's named after Alexa Chung! Congrats on (almost) scoring two great bags. :smile:

Fun thread!

What was it?
An all leather Coach bag.

26 (16.5 years ago)

It was from my DH, a combination 26th bday/graduation from graduate school gift.

Absolutely! I was SO thrilled to get that bag! That was the bag that started my designer obsession. I always tell my DH it's all his fault! :lol:

Fun thread!

What was it?
An all leather Coach bag.

26 (16.5 years ago)

It was from my DH, a combination 26th bday/graduation from graduate school gift.

Absolutely! I was SO thrilled to get that bag! That was the bag that started my designer obsession. I always tell my DH it's all his fault! :lol:

Ahh so fun! And haha, blame it on the DH(:

Prada shoes, I bought them for about 3 dollars from Second Hand store, I might have been around 25 and wore them nonstop. The leather isn't looking good any more and I use them for garden work.

My first "designer" item was a little Coach bag my mother purchased for me. It was all baby pink leather, I loved it. I was in 8th grade... So 12-13.

My first REAL designer item was a Marc Jacobs "Blake" handbag i received as my highschool graduation present from my parents. I was 17 at the time.

My first "designer" item was a little Coach bag my mother purchased for me. It was all baby pink leather, I loved it. I was in 8th grade... So 12-13.

My first REAL designer item was a Marc Jacobs "Blake" handbag i received as my highschool graduation present from my parents. I was 17 at the time.

I googled and fell in love with that bag!

I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was probably either one of my vintage $20 Coach bags that I bought off etsy, my Betsey Johnson purse that I found at Winners on Clearance $49.99 after the holiday's, or it was my $5 pair of Vince shorts from the consignment store where I used to live.

My parents wouldn't know designer, and definitely wouldn't have paid the money for new designer items for my sister and I. Plus I was from a small town and lived in the middle of no where on a side road. The only "designer" you saw was fake signature Coach and Chanel bags on high school girls. Very rarely did you actually see someone with an authentic purse so I wasn't too interested anyway. I wasn't exactly in an area that even sold designer goods except for one consignment store where they got their consigned items from people they knew in Toronto. I used to get some great deals when things in my size came in because I am so tiny. That's how I scored the $5 shorts. They sat at the store for months because no one was small enough to fit into them! I miss that store because the ladies that worked there were fantastic and would always let me know when they had Betsey Johnson items in.

An RM MAB in grey from Bloomingdale's. I was working my first job out of college and wanted to start buying nicer things for myself with my own money. I guess I was about 23 or so at the time. I saw the bag and it felt like time stopped and all I could see was that bag! My first big purchase and it began my love affair with designer bags. Never turned back! I still have it 5-6 years later and use it frequently!