Final Value Fees

soulfly

lil e
O.G.
Jun 12, 2006
Hello,

I'm new to selling on ebay and I just had a question about the fees.

I have an auction style listing posted and somebody wanted me to do a BIN for them which I agreed to. But during that, somebody had already bid on the item (with only 2 feedback scores)?

The listing hasn't ended yet, there are still 4+ days.

Can I cancel the bid and end the listing early and not get charged fees?.. So that I'm only charged with fees from the BIN listing?

I don't even know if this is 'okay' so please let me know what the best way to approach this is. Any advice/help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hello,

I'm new to selling on ebay and I just had a question about the fees.

I have an auction style listing posted and somebody wanted me to do a BIN for them which I agreed to. But during that, somebody had already bid on the item (with only 2 feedback scores)?

The listing hasn't ended yet, there are still 4+ days.

Can I cancel the bid and end the listing early and not get charged fees?.. So that I'm only charged with fees from the BIN listing?

I don't even know if this is 'okay' so please let me know what the best way to approach this is. Any advice/help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Is your item listed on Ebay.com? If so, there is a new rule there that you cannot close an auction listing before its natural end if there already are bids on it. If you close it, you will be charged final value fees for that price (current bid). I think you can only close before its end ONE listing per year, but don't quote me on that. If you listings have no bids you can close them whenever you want. HTH

Is your item listed on Ebay.com? If so, there is a new rule there that you cannot close an auction listing before its natural end if there already are bids on it. If you close it, you will be charged final value fees for that price (current bid). I think you can only close before its end ONE listing per year, but don't quote me on that. If you listings have no bids you can close them whenever you want. HTH

My item is listed on ebay.ca

She is now asking if I could just send her an invoice through paypal directly. Will I still be protected as a seller if I do it this way?

Now that there's a bid, it would be unfair to the bidder who played fairly and followed the rules to end the listing.

Addiitonally, there's a possibility that an auction (now that there's a bid) might work to your benefit in that the bidding might possibly go higher than the BIN you agreed to. Of course, it might sell for less, too, but that's a risk you take in an auction/no reserve listing.

Tell the buyer who wanted the BIN to watch the listing and let her know she's welcome to bid.

BTW, if you end the listing, you'll be charged FVF on the current listing as well as the relisted BIN listing.

Put yourself in the place of the current bidder. How would you feel if you placed a bid on an item only to have the seller cancel your bid, end the listing early and then you saw that she relisted and sold to someone else?

usually eBay regards someone who agrees to buy it now as a firm contract. It's usually hard to get out of it. You can try to reason with the buyer, but you may just be out of luck. Please do try to call eBay and see if they can help you - they are pretty helpful. Good Luck!

I have had this happen in the past where I have an auction style listing, and someone asks if will sell it at a set price. This was a regular auction, no best offer, no BIN. If I decide to do this, I let them know I will add the BIN to the listing. They can then use the BIN. Let them know that if a bid comes in before they make the BIN purchase, that option will no longer be available to them, because the BIN disappears after a bid comes in. I know that as a seller, you want to get the maximum sales price you can, but once a bid comes in, you really need to let the auction take it's course. If you BIN buyer wants it, she can bid too. Do everything through Ebay, it's your best protection.

I just looked up the rules for ending an auction early with bids. It looks like your BIN buyer can enter her bid and then you can end the auction early and accept her bid. Here is the section from Ebay
Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around, so you may be charged a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee (not including shipping charges) you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received when the seller ended the listing.

This fee is charged if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.

This fee isn't charged if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, final value fees apply.)

This fee doesn't apply to listings in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicle categories, and the Classified Ads selling format.

Because we understand that sometimes it may be necessary to end a listing early, you won't be charged a fee for the first auction-style listing you end early (where a fee applies) per calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

I just looked up the rules for ending an auction early with bids. It looks like your BIN buyer can enter her bid and then you can end the auction early and accept her bid. Here is the section from Ebay
Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around, so you may be charged a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee (not including shipping charges) you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received when the seller ended the listing.

This fee is charged if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.

This fee isn't charged if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, final value fees apply.)

This fee doesn't apply to listings in the Real Estate and eBay Motors vehicle categories, and the Classified Ads selling format.

Because we understand that sometimes it may be necessary to end a listing early, you won't be charged a fee for the first auction-style listing you end early (where a fee applies) per calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

If the BIN buyer enters a bid, even for the agreed upon BIN price, the bid amount will only go to the next increment. It will NOT be for the BIN price.

For example, say bidding started at $34.00 and the first bidder placed a $50 bid, the bidding will remain at $34 until someone outbids.

If the BIN price is $100, the buyer might place a bid of $100 but the price showing on the listing will just go to $51 -- the next bid increment over the previous bidder's high proxy bid. If the seller ends the listing to sell to the high bidder, she'll only sell for $51.

The only way the seller will get $100 is if the first bidder placed a $99 proxy bid.