Coach in the News - where the brand is going to compete

smileglu

O.G.
May 2, 2007
Interesting report on Coach and opinions on where the brand needs to go (be a lifestyle brand instead of just selling bags) to continue growth and compete with other brand such Michael Kors, Tory Burch etc

Interesting. I think if Coach is thinking lifestyle it could work. There are many die hard faithful to Coach plus people want quality. If they put a quality product the people will come.

Interesting report on Coach and opinions on where the brand needs to go (be a lifestyle brand instead of just selling bags) to continue growth and compete with other brand such Michael Kors, Tory Burch etc

Very interesting! Thanks for posting! I agree about the quality too! And stop screwing around with pricing - like sales every 5 seconds and double dipping.

I can already see Coach as a lifestyle brand. I felt it was moving in that direction already anyway. I just wish they weren't the last ones making the move and I'm sad about their numbers. I love Coach but I'm not in love with every style they make. As long as they put quality first and continue to make awesome collaborations, they will do just fine. I'm excited about it and hope they do well. In this price range, Coach is my favorite brand and I will always be a loyal customer and be interested in whatever they sell. I don't think I want to be Coach from head to toe but I'm definitely going to check it all out! Everyone has their favorites...my jeans will always be Lucky Brand and my bags will always be Coach. I'm excited to see if there's anything else I will like.

I've said it before but I do think they've lost some of their prestige by flooding the market with outlet/MFF bags. They need to re-establish as a luxury brand, perhaps do something like the other designers that have their couture line and their mass market line. Michael Kors vs. Michael, Donna Karan vs. DKNY. They already have their "flagship" line, but I think they need to do more with that and then establish some consistency in their lower tiers. Just my two cents.

Thank you so much for posting this. I, myself, tend to think of Coach primarily as a handbag company, so I am curious to see how they aim to expand the brand.

Interesting what was said about developing Coach as a lifestyle brand, perhaps taking ideas from the playbooks of other brands, like Burberry. I can just imagine seeing the Legacy tassels not just on handbags, but on everything else...

This is definitely interesting- thanks for posting.

I can kind of see Coach as a lifestyle brand, but it's a very competitive market and they're going to have to bring it, so to speak, if they don't want to fail. I think they could develop their brand signatures (think tattersall, some iconic Coach logo on ballet flats like Tory Burch and C. Wonder, etc). I think they're going to have to make their clothes more convincing, too, and it would be great if they offered more sizing options (AHEM! Like petite options!). I could see them being a good cross between J.Crew and Michael Kors. I'm a little tempted by their navy short trench coat for the spring, but without any petite options, I'll have to look elsewhere.

I posted this in the News: Coach to launch Ready-to-wear thread, but I thought I would post it here as well:

The question still remains: With Coach looking to expand into the lifestyle market, would you be willing to buy these other Coach items? They already make handbags, shoes, coats... Would you buy a Coach blouse? What about a dress? Bathing suits? Underwear? etc.

And if so, at what price point would you be willing to buy?

I've said it before but I do think they've lost some of their prestige by flooding the market with outlet/MFF bags. They need to re-establish as a luxury brand, perhaps do something like the other designers that have their couture line and their mass market line. Michael Kors vs. Michael, Donna Karan vs. DKNY. They already have their "flagship" line, but I think they need to do more with that and then establish some consistency in their lower tiers. Just my two cents.

I agree. I've said it before; it's like they have lost respect for their own product.