Help! Seller wont reply and filed unpaid item case against me

love_miu

Oct 30, 2008
Hi ladies, I'm hoping you could help me in this. I bought a dress through Best Offer listing, but changed my mind after it was accepted because I did not realise that the dress was used. I sent an email immediately to the seller to apologise and ask for the transaction to be cancelled. I had done this before and the sellers have always been understanding. But this seller did not respond, even after emailing her 3 times. Yesterday, after my 3rd email, I received an Unpaid Item Case against me. I emailed her again, hoping to resolve the issue peacefully but no reply. eBay told me to call her, but she never pick up any call.

I know that the original fault is mine. But I can't understand why she chose to respond this way instead of replying my email and opening channel of communication. If you ladies have any advice abt this, pls help! Thanks!

Hi ladies, I'm hoping you could help me in this. I bought a dress through Best Offer listing, but changed my mind after it was accepted because I did not realise that the dress was used. I sent an email immediately to the seller to apologise and ask for the transaction to be cancelled. I had done this before and the sellers have always been understanding. But this seller did not respond, even after emailing her 3 times. Yesterday, after my 3rd email, I received an Unpaid Item Case against me. I emailed her again, hoping to resolve the issue peacefully but no reply. eBay told me to call her, but she never pick up any call.

I know that the original fault is mine. But I can't understand why she chose to respond this way instead of replying my email and opening channel of communication. If you ladies have any advice abt this, pls help! Thanks!

well, you can't expect all sellers to be understanding. you bought an item and changed your mind. hope this is not an habit cos it's really annoying.

sorry, if i am being harsh and not offering the advice you are seeking but that's how i felt after reading your post.* perhaps cos i am quite sleepy now*

hope others can help you instead.

Last edited:
I don't mean to sound cold - I am not a seller, so that is not my "prejudice". I, too, have bought things without carefully enough reading the description and realized after the fact (but before I paid) that I made a mistake. The seller is under no obligation to agree to a bid cancellation. However, you are obligated to see the transaction through once you bid. So I just sucked it up, paid for the items and donated them when they arrived. A seller shouldn't be punished for my mistake.

I think that I would have gladly sucked up my mistake n buy it if the seller had just responded n tell me how annoyed she is n that she would prefer that I see thru my end of the deal. But the fact that she did not even bother to respond n simply slapped the case on me... I dunno. It makes me uncomfortable with buying it now.

I am strictly a buyer on ebay and I would follow through with my commitment to purchase. Putting myself in this seller's shoes, I would question why someone would go through the effort to submit an offer, find out it is accepted, only to change their mind. On a bad day it would make me a tad pissy but I try to be careful of the promises that I make as breaking a promise is a serious thing. IMO

It is unfortunate that you did not read the description but that is your
fault not the seller.

While it is always best to try to communicate which you did with the seller,
but the seller was within her rights opening an unpaid strike against you.

And since you have done this before, you have been lucky that previous
sellers have been understanding... this seller wasn't..and at some point
in time you had to know that not every seller would be so "understanding"

Either take the strike or pay for the item & re-sell it yourself

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think it is good to honor an oath, so I have paid for the dress. Will think about reselling it afterwards!

I think you did the right thing. TBH, I'm not sure that buying a used dress is such a bad thing. Pre-owned clothing, like pre-owned bags can be in as good condition as new, especially if the previous owner takes good care of her items. And for dresses that might only have been worn once or twice, the savings you realize by buying pre-owned makes it worth it.

And in completing the transaction, it's very possible that you won't be blocked by seller requirements for having too many unpaid strikes.

I don't mean to sound cold - I am not a seller, so that is not my "prejudice". I, too, have bought things without carefully enough reading the description and realized after the fact (but before I paid) that I made a mistake. The seller is under no obligation to agree to a bid cancellation. However, you are obligated to see the transaction through once you bid. So I just sucked it up, paid for the items and donated them when they arrived. A seller shouldn't be punished for my mistake.

Same here. I already purchased a few items without reading the fine print, which I paid immediately and some end up in the donation basket. I know that those can be painful mistakes, but I would suggest paying for the dress.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I think it is good to honor an oath, so I have paid for the dress. Will think about reselling it afterwards!

I think you made the right decision..

Who knows, the dress might be in better condition thanyou thought & you may have gotten a very good deal..

If it is not to your liking, you can perhaps re-sell or donate..