charged too much for shipping

Tuuli35

O.G.
May 12, 2012
Maybe its not a problem at all, but I would like to hear opinion. I sold a bag in Ebay and estimated shipping to be $12 which I also charged. Shipped the package today and the actual shipping cost was only $9. Would/should you refund these 3 dollars or leave it to cover packing and transportation costs?

IMHO, if the buyer has paid, means that he/she had agreed on the price and the shipping costs that you charged them.
I would usually add "more" (reasonable amount, like $2-$3, depending on how big the package is) to the actual shipping charges to help cover costs like packaging and paypal fees. I think $3 is fair and reasonable amount.
If it was me, no, I wouldn't refund.

Previously I have always refunded any charged postage cost over and above the stamp cost but am not sure why I bothered as people will still ding your P&P charges star and don't even bother to say thank-you!

I guess it ultimately depends how you feel about it as to whether to refund or not.

I wouldn't refund $3. The buyer agreed to the shipping costs, and anyone who gets angry about shipping costs after they already paid is just being unreasonable (unless the item was packed poorly or shipped with a different method than mentioned in listing).
It would be a nice gesture to refund the difference if the cost had been far lower than your estimate, but I think it would be unnecessary even then.

And by the way, you should always check the box in paypal that says not to display shipping costs.

I actually got left my first neutral from a buyer for whom I had combined shipping (AFTER the fact; they never asked before paying), then refunded them the difference because they felt it should have been sent in a smaller box, which would have broken the item. I really don't think there is a way to win with some buyers.

Thank you all!

And by the way, you should always check the box in paypal that says not to display shipping costs.

Also, when you ship items from Ebay/Paypal you can check the box to not display the cost of shipping.

I didn't know about that Paypal/Ebay option, I estimated the shipping but brought the package to the Post Office and paid for the shipping there. Beginner's mistake I guess :smile:

Last edited:
I shipped for years from the PO counter before a friend sold me their printer (cheap). Remember that you are being charged FVF on the shipping as well.
I ship small light items free and 'subsidize' the shipping on larger heavier items. If I know that it will cost $15 in actual postage to ship I charge $12 and pay the difference. In those instances I used to show the amount on the label and I still got dinged for shipping.

I be never paid less for shipping than I charged my buyer. Last week, I actually footed in an extra $11.00 for shipping b/c I added sig confirmation and added insurance which wasn't calculated into the cost when I set up the auction. Did I charge the seller the extra $11.00? No way. Would I refund in this case? Nope.

Thank you all!

I didn't know about that Paypal/Ebay option, I estimated the shipping but brought the package to the Post Office and paid for the shipping there. Beginner's mistake I guess :smile:

Your buyer will see that you paid less for postage than what you charged, and may not be so happy about that $3 difference, depending on the value of the item.

Your buyer will see that you paid less for postage than what you charged, and may not be so happy about that $3 difference, depending on the value of the item.

I'm a buyer and honestly I don't look at the package to see what the actually shipping cost was. I am too excited to about opening it and seeing my item! I agreed to whatever was asked in the listing so I wouldn't be expecting anything back, regardless of what it really cost. I figure ebay takes a % of that from sellers too.

And if shipping is too high, I don't buy. I ran across a jacket last week and the seller wanted $73.15 to ship. Like seriously.