eBay won't send answer to buyer because it sounds like an outside sale

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
What are the words that automatically notifies eBay that perhaps a suggestion of an outside eBay sale was made?

I was answering a question from a prospective buyer (who lives in my city and wants to do a local pick-up with cash) and I had a red alert pop up saying that the message could not be sent because of such a thing. It said to edit my message and remove anything that suggests it.

Anyone else have such a warning?

Jayne1 said:
What are the words that automatically notifies eBay that perhaps a suggestion of an outside eBay sale was made?

I was answering a question from a prospective buyer (who lives in my city and wants to do a local pick-up with cash) and I had a red alert pop up saying that the message could not be sent because of such a thing. It said to edit my message and remove anything that suggests it.

Anyone else have such a warning?

Not sure which word it is, maybe cash? you can spell out your email to the buyer and have her email you for further details..ex email at yahoo dot com

I do know there are certain "forbidden" words but I have never been flagged. Maybe local pick up and cash b/c it could mean that eBay gets cut out of the process, thus loses their fees.

Were you sending an email address?
No, I was responding to her suggestion to pay directly through Paypal... originally she wanted to pay in person, but I don't like meet-ups.

Her last message suggested paying directly though PP and it got through, why didn't mine?

My auction was over by the time I responded, by the way.

It's not safe for you (as seller) to receive a pp payment for local pickup. If the buyer files a paypal claim for non-receipt, you can't prove delivery and you'll lose the dispute.

Local pickup should be cash only.

No, I was responding to her suggestion to pay directly through Paypal... originally she wanted to pay in person, but I don't like meet-ups.

Her last message suggested paying directly though PP and it got through, why didn't mine?

My auction was over by the time I responded, by the way.

No idea why hers went, but likely yours was stopped because it was having to do with taking the sale off of ebay (by going directly through paypal).

It's not safe for you (as seller) to receive a pp payment for local pickup. If the buyer files a paypal claim for non-receipt, you can't prove delivery and you'll lose the dispute.

Local pickup should be cash only.
Yes, I didn't go into it in my first post, but she sent many requests, all involving my lowering the price somehow and she would pay in cash, pay direct to PP, off ebay, etc.

I wanted to wait until the auction was over because I had so many watchers... but as what often happens... no one bid.

All her offers went through to my email though. I wasn't against her offers, I just wanted my price for my first time listing. My gamble did not pay off.

So I tried to message her, to tell her I was re-listing, lowering the price and if she was still interested... and my message did not go through. Go figure.

Last edited:
Yes, I didn't go into it in my first post, but she sent many requests, all involving my lowering the price somehow and she would pay in cash, pay direct to PP, off ebay, etc.

I wanted to wait until the auction was over because I had so many watchers... but as what often happens... no one bid.

All her offers went through to my email though. I wasn't against her offers, I just wanted my price for my first time listing. My gamble did not pay off.

So I tried to message her, to tell her I was re-listing, lowering the price and if she was still interested... and my message did not go through. Go figure.

Ebay is so wonky. It figures she can send all of those requests but then you can't send about your listing again. I really wish they'd figure out how to run that place correctly (yeah, dreaming, I know).

Well you can get kicked off eBay for trying to sell direct through PayPal, local pick up with cash, etc. If someone messages you to do that, it says right above the email that if its an offer to buy off ebay, you're supposed to report it and not reply.

Well you can get kicked off eBay for trying to sell direct through PayPal, local pick up with cash, etc. If someone messages you to do that, it says right above the email that if its an offer to buy off ebay, you're supposed to report it and not reply.

It does say that, but honestly many of us sellers have accepted offers off eBay. I have,and will continue. I always look at the buyers history, & if I feel comfortable....its a win,win. Ebay & Paypal have been wringing us dry throughout the yrs! Ive been selling for over 12yrs, and in my prime was paying fees that amounted at times to luxury car payments.That all ended a few yrs ago. If in order to sell something now I have to "break" their rules, then be it.The fees are outrageous so sometimes its the only way its worth it.

Ive also have made several "off ebay" offers, & most often than not,they are accepted. Paypal still gets their massive cut.:Push:

But...yes there are key words that seem to trigger this warning, it seems that email addys, words such as: direct, invoice,cash will trigger it. Ive received many of these, but thats been the worse of it. Knock on wood.

It does say that, but honestly many of us sellers have accepted offers off eBay. I have,and will continue. I always look at the buyers history, & if I feel comfortable....its a win,win. Ebay & Paypal have been wringing us dry throughout the yrs! Ive been selling for over 12yrs, and in my prime was paying fees that amounted at times to luxury car payments.That all ended a few yrs ago. If in order to sell something now I have to "break" their rules, then be it.The fees are outrageous so sometimes its the only way its worth it.

Ive also have made several "off ebay" offers, & most often than not,they are accepted. Paypal still gets their massive cut.:Push:

But...yes there are key words that seem to trigger this warning, it seems that email addys, words such as: direct, invoice,cash will trigger it. Ive received many of these, but thats been the worse of it. Knock on wood.
I've always been very straight laced about eBay, but after reading posts here, I have started to reconsider selling off ebay if I'm comfortable. The thing is, it's the buyer who wants a deal and knows that we are saving money and they expect our savings to be passed on to them.

'Direct' was that bad word, I think.

I've always been very straight laced about eBay, but after reading posts here, I have started to reconsider selling off ebay if I'm comfortable. The thing is, it's the buyer who wants a deal and knows that we are saving money and they expect our savings to be passed on to them.

'Direct' was that bad word, I think.

I've had sellers propose it to me, and nobody ever mentioned a discount. Hmmm.

If your buyer wants the savings passed on to them, then why not just complete it on ebay? You will still get about the same, and everything stays on the up and up.

I've had sellers propose it to me, and nobody ever mentioned a discount. Hmmm.

If your buyer wants the savings passed on to them, then why not just complete it on ebay? You will still get about the same, and everything stays on the up and up.
That's why I told her I wanted to let the auction run its course and if it doesn't sell, I will reconsider her various offers. I've never had anyone ask to buy off ebay without them saying since I won't be paying fees, they expect a much better price.

So, when it didn't sell, I tried to message her and I got that warning. But she was the one who was messaging me with different offers all off eBay... and her's got through!

Anyway, I re-listed and now have a bid from someone in the States, so it's doesn't matter anymore.