Gold doesn't have 'K' hallmark?

RosiePink

O.G.
Dec 7, 2012
Hey ladies, I am panicing and need your expert advice ASAP!

I bought a 14K white gold diamond pendant today from a local jeweler. I asked the SA if the white gold had a plating at all and she said no it was indeed 14K white gold as said the receipt. The tags on the necklace said 14K and the tcw of the diamonds so I didn't pay much attention to the hallmark itself until I got home. I noticed it simply says '14' very sloppily and it is very hard to make out. It definitely doesn't have a 'K' and it only has two marks which resemble the number '14.'

Is this possible for white gold? Is it absolutely necessary to have the 'K' when marking gold? What metal did I buy? I am freaking out :nogood::sad::cry:

It may just not have been stamped well. I have some jewelry with very faint markings, it seems that designer jewelry is where there is an emphasis on clear markings. If you purchased from a reputable jeweler, I would not worry.

Calm down. Yes they usually put a k, but that doesn't mean your piece isn't solid gold. If it is a local jeweler that made the piece he might have forgotten to stamp it or that could just be the way he stamps it.According to the internet, just a number 14 is good enough of a stamp. Also my personal jeweler, sometimes forgets to mark anything at all. There are a couple of pieces that I need to take back to him to mark. So, it happens. Wait until the morning and give them a call. I am sure it was just an oversight, but if nit you have stated what you purchased on your receipt, so you should have no problems getting your money back. The European system doesn't use letters at all just 750 and 585 for 18 and 14 karat gold respectively. Also as long as it doesn't have HGE, gold filled, plate, RGP, EP or 1/10 as markings that indicate plated gold, I really woukd not worry!

Last edited:
I know I am probably over reacting but I am one of those people who gets extremely anxious extremely fast. I've never purchased from this jeweler before and they have two locations so all looks well but I can't help but feel a tinge of uneasiness as I know it is a possibility. I will probably call or pop into a jeweler tomorrow to have a third party examine the piece to see if what it is on the receipt is actually what I got.

I am sure there will be no issues but I cannot rest easy until I know for sure.

I know I am probably over reacting but I am one of those people who gets extremely anxious extremely fast. I've never purchased from this jeweler before and they have two locations so all looks well but I can't help but feel a tinge of uneasiness as I know it is a possibility. I will probably call or pop into a jeweler tomorrow to have a third party examine the piece to see if what it is on the receipt is actually what I got.

I am sure there will be no issues but I cannot rest easy until I know for sure.

I even have VERY old jewelry that has no markings at all but is 17-18k. Please do not worry. It will be very easy to resolve. Hope you are able to get some sleep. Good night!

I even have VERY old jewelry that has no markings at all but is 17-18k. Please do not worry. It will be very easy to resolve. Hope you are able to get some sleep. Good night!

Same here - I have a 14k gold bracelet from the 1940's (heavy piece- 18 grams of gold I think) and a Victorian Locket- both are not marked and both are gold.

For my own sanity, I had a jeweler check it out. He didn't actually test the gold but after looking at the piece through a scope, said it was hallmarked as gold. That is enough for me. Thanks for helping calm me in the mean time!