What is the BEST designer bag of all time?

:cool:I have to disagree. LOL it has to be the CHANEL flap. Miss Chanel was a genius and totally original. The 2.55 which was launched in the 50's was the first hands free shoulder bag. Until then ladies had handheld 'lady' bags, like the Hermes Kelly. Coco Chanel believed in women's emancipation, and thought women had other things to do rather than just hold bags.;) the quilting idea apparently was inspired from jockeys clothes and the chain from her childhood with the nuns. The design is amazing, it's basically two bags one inside the other, hence the double flap, secret compartment for love letters... ( I don't get many of those but I keep my stamps there.):graucho:

:cool:I have to disagree. LOL it has to be the CHANEL flap. Miss Chanel was a genius and totally original. The 2.55 which was launched in the 50's was the first hands free shoulder bag. Until then ladies had handheld 'lady' bags, like the Hermes Kelly. Coco Chanel believed in women's emancipation, and thought women had other things to do rather than just hold bags.;) the quilting idea apparently was inspired from jockeys clothes and the chain from her childhood with the nuns. The design is amazing, it's basically two bags one inside the other, hence the double flap, secret compartment for love letters... ( I don't get many of those but I keep my stamps there.):graucho:

Wow this is a great story. A historical bag indeed. I'm not a fan of chanel but i like the story behind their bags. ;) Wonderful.

I think that is wholly admirable and I would be happy to give the 2.55 the crown

The Hermes Kelly is also a worthy contender

But

for me the award goes to the Gucci Bamboo Top Handle :yahoo::worthy::queen:

Born in 1947 and fashioned out of necessity. With scarce enough leather to carry on the business after the Second World War, Guccio Gucci innovated with new materials including now iconic bamboo.

The body of the bag was inspired by a horse saddle which is why it's rounded, and most often made of Gucci's famous and locally produced boar-skin which gets better and better with age and lasts forever. The Bamboo handle is light but very, very strong and feels perfect in the hand. I absolutely love mine and have 2 Large versions and a basket variation.

I am in good company too. Ingrid Bergman had an original version from the 1940s. Elizabeth Taylor had a Floral version in the 1950s (among numerous others) and Vanessa Redgrave had one too in the 1960s. Every decade it has fitted the 'style du jour' and makes people's eyes either narrow or stare wide when they catch sight of one. It's very hard to make (as counterfeiters show) and it now has a shoulder strap for an alternative way to wear it.

I also read that the 2.55 stood for the date and year it was first made - Feb 1955. I thought that was cool. Lol

I don't believe in subjective absolutes such as "the best" or "the worst". There are many that are wonderful in their own right with rich, storied pasts. That why so many members here have collections of bags and not just one specimen!

I don't believe in subjective absolutes such as "the best" or "the worst". There are many that are wonderful in their own right with rich, storied pasts. That why so many members here have collections of bags and not just one specimen!

I agree with this too. All prize giving is subjective :biggrin:

Very cool! This also motivated me to read Coco Chanel's Wiki page which was super interesting--thanks! Oh, the red lining in the Chanel bag was inspired from her convent school girl uniforms. I learned that from wiki, LOL.