Do you think we are all spoiled snots?

I don't think I'm spoiled. I'm 22 and in college, so I don't really have any extra money. I have financial support from my parents for my education, but they would never buy me a designer bag. The problem is not that they couldn't afford it, but that they don't want me to grow up to become spoiled and materialistic. Of course that didn't stop me from becoming a fashion addict (so is my mom though:smile: ), but it taught me the value of money and that things don't come flying to you, but you have to work for them. I'm glad that my parents didn't spoil me even though that means that I have to create a "wishlist" of things I would like to have but can't afford. And anyway, I think the feeling to buy a purse with money that you have earned is a much better one than just getting it from mom and dad.;)

I think most of us here really appreciate the fact that we can buy nice things so that's not the same as being spoiled. Some of the stories on this thread are really inspirational, these women deserves the luxuries they treat themselves to. I'm lucky, dh has a well paid job, I work myself, we save, give to charity - and buy handbags for me! We both would have prefered to spend money on a family but after years of trying it just wasn't to be. So, no, I don't think I'm spoiled and at last I don't feel guilty when I buy an expensive item, but that took a bit of time! :smile:

I'm not spolied. I try to work for hard for what I want. When I was younger, my mother worked a job at the factory making 5.25 an hour. At the same time she was trying to support three children. We were only allowed to get one new outfit for school, which couldn't go over 50.00. I often felt like the outsider at school because everyone else parents had much better jobs and were able to dress their kids in the latest fashion. I would often have to wear the pants and clothes that I had from the last school season. I started working when I was sixteen and have worked every since then because I know that feeling of not having anything. I still feel that way till this day. I still can't afford half the stuff I want but I am thankful that I can afford some of those things I want. Hopefully, after the military I can go back to school to try and get into the medical field because there is so much more that I want to fulfill my life with by helping children that are in need and to also be able to set up some accounts so my children won't have to worry about paying for college tuition like I had to. I think that we all appreciate what we have no matter if we are spoiled or not.

I'm not sure...I don't think I'm that spoiled because I don't get everything I ask for. I get most things, but not like right when I ask for it. I remember wanting a dog really badly when I was little. I knew my mom would never let me get one, so after a couple years she decided I was allowed to have a cat. & a Gameboy..I wanted one for soo long. I got one after I stopped biting my nails lol.

My friend(s) think I'm spoiled though. Well one of them said it right to me. I would say I am though, compared to her. My parents get me things that are within reason - I got a laptop a couple Christmases ago because it can be used for school..a cell phone in grade 5 (I didn't ask for one..it was because we moved to a new house, and it was far away from school. I needed one for safety reasons/emergencies) I'm on my second iPod now (got a new one after my first one died); the first one I paid for by myself, the new one my dad paid for most of it.
I have Dior sunglasses & Dior jewellry. My friends think I'm really crazy for spending $250 on a pair of sunglasses. But I really love them. They're actually part of the health benefit from my dad's work, so we got them for cheaper. The jewellry was from birthdays/holidays.
Those are the only things I can think of now, that I have that she doesn't. So I'm assuming it's because of those things that she would say I was spoiled.
I don't know if that makes me spoiled or not because I think most kids my age have all that..?

I had a bank account for as long as I remember. I think around grade 5? I put all my money I saved in there; money given to me from relatives, my parents, and the $150 I got from being a newspaper carrier one summer lol. I never used that money up until a few years ago; when I first started going out by myself, and my parents weren't there to pay for stuff. They used to buy me things like makeup, magazines, etc but now I have to pay for that stuff myself, usually.

I asked my dad for a camera for my birthday this year..a nice one that costs at least $300. He thought about it & decided not to just buy it for me. He gave me money instead, and told me to work for the other half. So yes, I literally got my first job 2 weeks ago (:yahoo: ) lol and am trying to save up. Except now, I don't know what to save up for first. Ever since I joined PF my addiction for handbags started hahah. I never used to like them this much, I was more into clothes & jewellry. But now I'm thinking of using the money from my first job to get my first LV handbag. We're going on vacation in Europe this summer so I will buy it there, since they're cheaper there :P

Eek I just realized how long my reply is! :Push: Sorry I just kept going on & on hahah. But I now realize, typing this, how fortunate I am. We live a comfortable life here, and I have nice parents. I appreciate all they've done for me, because I know I haven't exactly been the best kid to raise sometimes lol. Even though I get most of what I ask for, they make me work for it, and I do understand the value of a dollar. I never take anything for granted.

I'm definitely not spoiled. Perhaps I'm spoiled in terms of intelligence, because that's how I got a great paying job, but it definitely took a lot of work to get there. I do most of the work around the house and pay for most of the bills too. Now if I could choose to be spoiled financially, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Nope, not spoiled. My parents raised my brothers and me in a comfortable suburb so we didn't struggle but we did not live an extravagant lifestyle either.

In high school I scooped ice cream at Baskin Robbins for $2.80 an hour or whatever it was ages ago (early 1980s!) and picked blueberries for 18 cents a lb at a nearby farm 8 hours a day in the summer 5 days a week to earn enough $$ for Police concert tickets.

In college I did not have a car, walked everywhere I needed to go in rainy Oregon with a raincoat and boots, and when I lived in an apt senior year with a girlfriend we got our furniture at Goodwill and ate mac and cheese or Top Ramen at 7 packs for a dollar.

So while my tastes have always been high end, I know that things are just handed to me. My Mom always has nice taste but not OTT.

Now I'm at the point in my career where I'm really hitting my stride, making a good living and have a wonderful townhome, very little cc debt and pay cash for my splurges when my BF does not (but supports my habit and spoils me occasionally). You know what? I've effin' earned it!! :yahoo:

I don't consider spoiled. I grew up in an upper middle class household and I, together with my siblings did not have to worry about food, clothing or school because my father provided well. But he instilled in us a very strong work ethic and he taught us how to be frugal. Hahaha, we sisters joke about this... cause we think that our parents over taught us about being frugal that now we are older, we are spending with a vengeance. No, I don;t think I am spoiled because everything I buy, I pay for it.

No. there are some people here who frankly, have no chance whatsoever at attaining spoiled snothood. Ever. Their applications to their local Spoiled Snot Societies would be immediately rejected amid howls of derisive laughter. They can't even pass themselves off as unspoiled snots, or spoiled non-snots.

I'm spoilt, probably by most people's standards. I've always poured all my energy into school (now at med school) but I've never had to take a paying job to support myself because my family is well-off. I have had a couple of jobs though, taken because I wanted to work. I worked full-time during my gap year though I didn't need to; through lack of imagination rather than anything else!

Mmmm....I admit, I'm terrible with money. I make probably more than most people, but then again, I have lots of bills. I like doing things and a lot of times that costs money. Season tickets to football, concerts, trips, dining out every night, driving an Audi...having a gf and a son! But, I came from a mother that worked 2 days a week cutting hair and a father who works construction, so I know what living cheaply is about. I choose not to. However, I also volunteer a lot and feel that since I'm able to take advantage of our capitalistic socioeconomic system, that I should give back to the less fortunate who are required to be at the bottom to make this system work. Without them, I wouldn't be here. I mentor children at a local school. I work with habitat for humanity and I'm a member of the activities committee at work. We participate in the March of Dimes walk, Dreams Come True, and adopt families for the various holidays. So, no, I don't think I'm spoiled. I appreciate where I am in life and understand what it took for me to get here.

oh God, yes i feel that i do sometimes.
but only with handbags, i don't buy expensive clothes a lot. but i only buy those very cheap from the vintage stores than the one that's too mass production.

I got my first job at 14 in a chip shop. I paid for my own trampolining club fees, tuition, competitions, leotards. I've never stopped working. I remember as a child wearing hand me downs because the 70's & 80's were not great in Great Britain. My parents struggled to make ends meet and taught me the value of money and what it's like to live juggling finances and priorities whilst at the same time trying to give their children treats at Christmas and birthdays.

I've worked hard to be where I am now with the disposable income I currently have and I appreciate everything I currently have in my life, and if it all disappears tomorrow it won't be the end of the world after all they are only "belongings".