Original creases on silk GM shawls & cashmere shawls

Chez Capri

C'est si bon!
Feb 26, 2012
Ladies

I've been a collector of Hermes shawls for quiet a few years. I buy so many of them to never have to wear each enough times to get them dirty. I am also a freak about folding the shawls perfectly on its original creases.

Lately I've been traveling with the shawls, beating them up, wrapping my baby in them and having him drip foods etc on them. So I'm exploring dry cleaning these silks GM and cashmere shawls. But once I have these cleaned, don't I loose the original creases? And should I be afraid my cleaner pressing onto the hand-rolled seam?

Let me know please thank you!

This may not be responsive to your question, but I don't even bother trying to keep original folds in my cashmere/silk GMs...I carry a plastic bag in my purse incase I need to take the GM off during my travels and fold them so many different ways, that it just hasn't been an issue. (I do keep my silk twills in boxes and keep the original folds in them, too.) Particularly with a baby, I don't think I'd worry about (or bother about) keeping the folds in the GMs.

Ladies

I've been a collector of Hermes shawls for quiet a few years. I buy so many of them to never have to wear each enough times to get them dirty. I am also a freak about folding the shawls perfectly on its original creases.

Lately I've been traveling with the shawls, beating them up, wrapping my baby in them and having him drip foods etc on them. So I'm exploring dry cleaning these silks GM and cashmere shawls. But once I have these cleaned, don't I loose the original creases? And should I be afraid my cleaner pressing onto the hand-rolled seam?

Let me know please thank you!

The first thing I do when I get a new scarf is to steam it to get the creases out, then carefully hang it in the closet so it lays perfectly flat. I personally wouldn't wear any scarf with crease marks.

There are several threads on TPF that discuss cleaning options, with collectors falling into the "hand wash" or "dry clean" camps. Both have their pros and cons. The hem issue is one that has been mentioned many times, and it is a risk of dry cleaning. How well do you know your cleaners? The treatment of the hems should be discussed with the cleaner. You will lose the folds whether you wash or dry clean, but you can use an iron on a low setting to replicate them.

I carry a cloth bag in my bag for shawls (shoe bags work well) and I always lay them flat for a day before refolding and putting them away. I do the same with my silks, although I might follow audreylita's prescription and steam my silks, as I think silk wears better without them.

For 140 GM cashmere shawls, I hang them on padded hangers in my closet. Since they are heavier in weight than silk scarves, I don't think any of my shawls have ever had the fold lines in them and I bought all of them at my Hermes store. The 90cm silk scarves, however, keep their folds since I always store them back in their original boxes after I wear them. When I feel like I have to dry clean, I go to the best dry cleaner in my city and explain to them not to iron over the hems. I even took a plisse silk in but made sure they understood not to iron out the pleats. It came back perfectly.
Hope this helps. When I travel, I also bring a bag to carry my scarves/shawls in to keep them protected. Or, if it looks like it may rain, I do the same.

Don't you worry about loosing original creases, it'll happen after cleaning and it's OK, but pay attention to finding good dry-cleaner who wouldn't press the hems unless you like them flat! Also, be sure to deliver that they should'n pin any tags on the scarves. :smile:
There is the link to the thread with some extensive info on the scarves cleaning you might like to explore
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/cleaning-scarves-37705.html

Don't you worry about loosing original creases, it'll happen after cleaning and it's OK, but pay attention to finding good dry-cleaner who wouldn't press the hems unless you like them flat! Also, be sure to deliver that they should'n pin any tags on the scarves. :smile:
There is the link to the thread with some extensive info on the scarves cleaning you might like to explore
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/cleaning-scarves-37705.html

+1

I always admonish my dear and long-trusted dry cleaner to STAY AWAY FROM THE HEMS! But accidents can happen and they have inadvertently pressed a side or two flat without any malice. It is a risk I am afraid of owning these scarves and shawls.

Original folds will come out with any cleaning- it cannot be helped. It is no big deal.

No rolled hems to worry about with jerseys is an upside for sure.

I just purchased my first two H scarves this past week. So forgive me for asking this novice question...Why is it so important to keep the hems rolled and not iron them flat?
I admit that the first thing I did after taking them out of the box was iron out the creases.

Thank you everyone for your opinions!! I guess I just have to come to terms with the creases ... I am so obsessed with folding all my shawls its odd. I will have to either figure out if I want to hang them all after I start cleaning them or reiron the creases back in there. *sigh*

Thanks Highlighting!!
Now I know why I've fallen in love with H scarves, just like I fell in love with Oriental rugs years ago.
Creating anything beautiful is so labor intensive!!

Thanks Highlighting!!
Now I know why I've fallen in love with H scarves, just like I fell in love with Oriental rugs years ago.
Creating anything beautiful is so labor intensive!!

Not only is ironing the hem flat an insult to hours of work of the rouletesses (workers who roll the hem), it will result in an ugly sight. For everyone's reference, I'm showing a pic of the flat hem.
Apparently, wearing it would be like wearing clothes inside out. Since the hem had been rolled, when ironed flat, it would look uneven and expose the thread color, which a lot of times may not match exactly with the hem color.

Attachments

• Pavements hem.JPG
    Pavements hem.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 668